Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh ffs. Indoor cat has fleas. What do I do?

(29 Posts)

I have two so I assume they both have them.

Both cats are v fluffy and I do sometimes have to cut little fur dreadlocks from them! (Yes I do brush them too)

Was just cutting one dreadlock out of boy cat and nestled within it were two moving fleas. BOAAAAK

I've never dealt with this before. What do I do? Can I buy anything online or over the counter as it were or do I need to fork out £££ for vets?

cardibach Thu 14-Aug-14 23:17:46

Flea treatment from vet or e.g. pets online. Not too expensive. The fleas can't breed without biting a cat, s if cat is treated the infestation is doomed.

If you've seen them on the cats, you will have them in your home. Get indorex, which you can order online for much cheaper than you can get it at the vets and then the best stuff for actually treating the cats is from the vets and is called stronghold. My indoor cat was absolutely riddled (next doors cat brought them into the shared area between our flat doors which is how they got in) as was all the carpeting in the flat. We used the two things I mentioned above and havent seen a single one since

Oh that's reassuring.

Do you think I need to book them an appointment or can I just purchase the stuff walking into a vets?

Feel so sorry for the little buggers (cats not fleas), I'm probably not as vigilant as I should be because they're indoors (3rd floor flat!!) though I haven't noticed them itching

Thanks OLL will look into both of those!

cantpolishaturd Thu 14-Aug-14 23:26:33

Advantage flea pipettes from pets at home or your vets may do it..much better than frontline

Stronghold - can buy online but needs prescription. I assume that means I need to actually take the cats in to the vet? Do you reckon I'd get away with just asking them to give me a prescription? <wishful thinking>

cantpolishaturd Thu 14-Aug-14 23:29:17

Oh and I've had several cats over years who have "brought them in".... Never treated the house, just the cats and it was never a problem

trufflesnout Thu 14-Aug-14 23:29:38

Thanks cant - good news, I can buy advantage w/out prescription - bad news, it's out of stock everywhere! (I need the one for large cats). Drats.

Cheers truffle - ordered!

cantpolishaturd Fri 15-Aug-14 00:07:01

Frontline will do but advantage is soo much better if you can get any

Weldricks chemists sell Frontline,and it's normally on offer

sashh Fri 15-Aug-14 07:17:11

You need to do this on a regular basis even with indoor cats.

shushpenfold Fri 15-Aug-14 07:21:15

Frontline doesn't work AT ALL in my experience. Ring the vets and ask for their advice on anything else which will. I gave up and bought a flea/tick collar for mine after having one cat develop a flea allergy.....granted they're outdoor cats and we were very rural at the time but it has saved my life as it lasts for 6 months and the fleas just can't get near to them. INdorex is fab and will work too.

I have indoor cats ans do treat them with advantage now, they have had fleas twice, people bring them into the house, I have one friend with 4 cats who never treats hers, I suspect she she brings them here, is annoying. Advantage works here, frountline does nothing.

I get mine from amazon

Indorex was £25 from my vet and £10.50 off Amazon shock.

Frontline stopped working on my two, dh has terrible bites, it's advantage for us from now on and those flea catcher things are brilliant.

Showy Fri 15-Aug-14 07:34:26

Frontline has completely lost its effectiveness. So many fleas are immune. Is often on offer and easy to get but it doesn't work for most cat owners I know.

Cornettoninja Fri 15-Aug-14 07:45:04

Indorex is good because it'll kill eggs for up to twelve months. The eggs drop off the cat generally so it'll mean anywhere treated will really help control any outbreak. I do it yearly with or without fleas.

If you can't get to the vets for some superduper flea stuff right away, there's a brand that comes in hot pink that does a 24hr tablet that'll kill any flea that comes into contact with the cats. It's really good for tiding you over. Don't be tempted by the drops or spray though- they're shit.

Be aware that stuff like frontline that gets a bad review from some people is probably because fleas can gain immunity to pesticides, it might work for you but it's worth chatting with your vet about the latest versions.

Oh and pets at home will sell some of the stronger stuff as long as you have the weights of the cats.

Cornettoninja Fri 15-Aug-14 07:48:06

If ordering online vets.co.uk is really good value. They'll take prescriptions too. I think delivery is usually within 3 days though so you might want to just use it to stock up in readiness. smile

Rosedust Fri 15-Aug-14 07:58:29

It's such a pain! When my cat got fleas I made the mistake of vacuuming carpets and mattress just before going to bed! Big mistake! It 'woke' them all up.

Best tip - the vet flea treatment is definitely best. Much better than store bought ones. Also once treated, they are then walking flea killers!

Also the flea 'bombs' that you can buy in stores like Pets at Home are really good. About £10 for two I think. Set us off, close the door and leave it for a few hours then ventilate the room.

Hope it doesn't take too long to get rid!

Rosedust Fri 15-Aug-14 07:59:20

*it

trufflesnout Fri 15-Aug-14 12:44:28

Frontline works fine in my experience, and you don't need a prescription. Couldn't find an Advantage which was prescriptionless.

PinkLights Fri 15-Aug-14 13:07:34

I bought some flea things you put on the back of the necks from the vets, it should still be working and we noticed yesterday the cats now have flea's. We combed them out for them, until I can get something else.

CabbagePatchCheryl Fri 15-Aug-14 13:10:50

We had this with little guy (indoor/outdoor). We treated him with Frontline spot on and then sprayed carpets and sofas etc with this: www2.medicanimal.com/Cats/Flea%2C-Tick-%26-Wormers/Flea-Sprays/Extra-Long-Lasting-Household-Flea-Spray/p/I0006366

Never seen another flea, even though our fella is a prolific hunter.

It'll be ok, don't worry too much about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now