Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Loom Bands

(21 Posts)
Mommaknowsbest Thu 14-Aug-14 13:48:40

Has anyone seen the recent articles about Rogue shipments of the lo band bracelets containing dangerous levels of cancer giving phthalates

The fear is that wearers could take in the chemicals if they put them in their mouths.

Some reports say it is only the charms but I'm nervous about the bands too. Anyone?

MrsWinnibago Thu 14-Aug-14 13:55:01

Ooh no! does it have any info on what the packaging or brand is please?

MrsWinnibago Thu 14-Aug-14 13:58:48

Had a google and www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2723726/Loom-band-cancer-warning-rogue-consignments-charms-contain-massive-levels-deadly-chemicals.html found this article. It says to make sure packs have the CE mark on them which means they've been tested.

I've just told DD and we'll only be buying the official ones from now on. You really should put this post in Chat to get more attention as this isn't a busy board. You could ask MNHQ to move it...report it perhaps? Thanks for the warning!

Alsoflamingo Fri 29-Aug-14 14:47:55

This is all over the papers today. We are chucking the loom band charms, but does anyone know if the loom bands themselves are also dangerous (or just dangly charms)?

permaquandry Fri 29-Aug-14 23:17:19

I'm slightly concerned about this too. It's a bit confusing, as there seems to be no definite reassurance that it's just this particular batch/brand. I've bought umpteen loom packets but only from The Works, Argos (Crazyloom) and Whsmith. Surely, they will have been tested?

I'm also not sure if it is just the charms or the bands themselves?

Would like more info, if anybody is able to provide?

LEMmingaround Fri 29-Aug-14 23:19:04

Worrying

permaquandry Fri 29-Aug-14 23:19:18

Wondering if this should be moved to chat, I'm not being hysterical. Would just like some more info. Does anybody know how to get a thread moved?

permaquandry Fri 29-Aug-14 23:24:29

Bumping so this doesn't disappear, anyone know how to get a thread moved to chat? Ta.

EllenMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 30-Aug-14 10:52:43

I know! <throws hand in air, enthusiastically>

Alsoflamingo Sun 31-Aug-14 08:37:25

We have chucked all ours out (kids insisted on wearing rubber gloves to do it!). Have done a bit of Googling on cancer websites and actually increasingly worried about all sort of plastics/melamine plates etc. Lots of them have little marks on the back saying (don't put in microwave) which apparently is because they leach dangerous chemicals when heated. Have chucked all those coloured 'kids' plates and bowls and will be using (cheap) china/glass from now on. There is a really useful page I found that tells you which recycling mark numbers are safe and which aren't. If you look on the bottom of most plastic things - like tupperware - they have one. Most tupperware has a 5 which is fine, apparently. The more you look, the more scary it is.

Olivo Sun 31-Aug-14 08:41:34

It was reported as only being the charms that may be dangerous., not. The bands themselves.

BabyAsleepAtLast Sun 31-Aug-14 08:45:49

I've bought those charms from China sad.

Olivo Sun 31-Aug-14 08:59:26

Me too, they're going in the bin. Will keep the bands though, they're the only thing helping DD give up her thumb sucking habit!

SeagullsAndSand Sun 31-Aug-14 09:06:24

Surely the bands and charms are made in diff ways as one is stretchy and the other not.Any scientists about?

My DS is addicted and spends doing it,keeps him off screens and creative so some reassurance as to band safety would be good.

It doesn't help that the official bands are extortionate to buy over here.

Alsoflamingo Sun 31-Aug-14 09:13:32

I know, it's a real pain. It's the only thing that got my kids playing nicely together instead of constant fighting so super annoying. BUT, the more I read about all sorts of plastics the more worrying it is.

toffeelolly Sun 31-Aug-14 09:23:43

This is worrying dd got a case of them when in Spain this year.

DoristheCamel Sun 31-Aug-14 16:49:34

Oh god my daughter boought a massive box of them 2400 for £7 on holiday in cheapy seaside shop.

I wore the loom band she made me for the whole 2 weeks and pretty sure the kids wore armfuls of them.

I dont have the packaging as it was just a slip of paper and cellophane around a plastic tub. I am going to have to bin the lot aren't I.

DuchessofMalfi Sun 31-Aug-14 17:19:19

Have just checked our packaging - all have CE Mark. Bought Loom Twister by HGL - big box 2000 bands and charms from Hobbycraft yesterday and have CraZArt from Argos. Both CE marked. Spare bands by Friendship Loom are CE marked too. Not sure about a few charms but have mostly broken now and in bin.

SisterMoonshine Mon 01-Sep-14 15:05:34

Oh no sad
I've done party bags of cheap bands and charms all ready for DD to give out.
And she' already been using some of them for herself.
This sort of thing didn't even occur to me.

SeagullsAndSand Mon 01-Sep-14 15:09:11

Bug if the bands have the CE mark on them they must go ok surely otherwise what is the point of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now