Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

very broke and 3 kids to entertain HELP!

(24 Posts)
primarynoodle Wed 13-Aug-14 22:44:18

dp and I looking after his youg siblings 11, 8, 5 for 2 weeks in our tiny flat. I am ft student he has v low paid job and because there are 3 of them the costs mount up soooo quickly!

apart from park and swimming (free for kids in my la) what the flipping hell else can I do with them????????? live in nw and dont have a car....

sleepdodger Wed 13-Aug-14 22:47:04

Pinterest- free stuff for teens

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 13-Aug-14 22:49:41

Check out what your local library and leisure centres are doing. They are often free or well subsidised.

Do you have a Primary Times that covers your area? They have lots of information about things that might be possible for you.

Bigbottomtwirl Wed 13-Aug-14 22:51:20

Local children center will have lots going on.

m0therofdragons Wed 13-Aug-14 22:52:31

baking, board games.... Where do you live? Where we are we go to the country Park and in the holidays there are free activities going on. Tomorrow am there is a big activity day I'm taking my 3dc too that's costing £3 in total. When they are older we'll go to the beach but I can't do that on my own as dds are 6 and 2 yo twins.

defineme Wed 13-Aug-14 22:53:39

A lot of museums and galleries have kids activities and are free. Library. Blackberry and apple picking and then make crumble or compote-there are ones everywhere at the moment. Cinemas often have 2nd run early weekend showings very cheap.

primarynoodle Wed 13-Aug-14 22:56:02

omg iwish that website is awesome!

eldest is a girl and youngest 2 are very boisterous boys!

primarynoodle Wed 13-Aug-14 22:57:44

live in greater Manchester area but we have them most school holidays so have exhausted the museums, galleries etc... if it was sunny I could get them outside without any earache and no problems at all..

bloody rain angry

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 13-Aug-14 22:58:28

Junk modelling with old boxes and packaging.
Loom bands from pound shop.
Baking/cooking.
Some local authorities do free holiday activities so check their website.
Might be some ideas here.
Might be some free museums in your area.
See if local charity shops have got any cheap board games.
Make kites/paper aeroplanes and test flight them.
Make a puppet show/movie .

dawnlight Wed 13-Aug-14 22:58:39

Library, museums, eye tests (my kids loved this), art galleries, painting (roll of lining paper and cheap paints from wilko's, public transport (cheap family day pass) to somewhere different, picnics, beach.

Check websites before you go for timings of free/cheap events. There's usually lots during school hols.

StampyIsMyBoyfriend Wed 13-Aug-14 22:59:02

Loom bands? Movie nights, picnics (indoor or outdoor) keeping youngest amused would be my main priority, older kid may well be glad of downtime & WiFi or games in peace.

Could you ask them to suggest things & put them in a jar?

Make your own pizza night is cheap, as is baking (buy supermarkets own for ease) and we quite often use bread mixes.

dawnlight Wed 13-Aug-14 23:00:38

Bmx sessions at manchester velodrome are really cheap and include bikes.

StampyIsMyBoyfriend Wed 13-Aug-14 23:00:55

Pamper night with eldest? Couple of face masks, nail polish etc, could be done for under a fiver & she'd probably love some boy free time!

primarynoodle Wed 13-Aug-14 23:03:32

if I make one more loom band I think I might have a mental breakdown!

great ideas guys thankyou very much!!!!
keeping the oldest ones occupied works best for these 3... youngest is super passive and easy!

Outdoors- geocaching? Keeps my tribe out and occupied. Rather than taking treasure we have munchies every 4 or so caches (depends on the trail we're doing)

Canal walk? Park with tennis rackets, football and so on?

Cake making/ decorating. Can be dragged out over 2 sessions, we made cakes one day (each child had a 2/2/2/1egg) mix which made 6, and then decorated today (12 ounces icing sugar, plus a wee bit for thickening after adding colouring did 4 kids 6cakes each.

missingmumxox Wed 13-Aug-14 23:30:18

If they have patents that drive (or even if they don't ) don't underestimate the fun of a train or bus ride, I used to take my small cousins on magically Mystery rides, local bus to nearest bus station then chose a destination from the buses Available, I used to get a day pass, the under fives where free and under 16 was 1/2 price, I was 16-18 doing this and I got student rate with my NUS card,
As we travelled about if we saw something interesting we would get off, have a wonder then catch the next bus in whatever direction, I used to carry a tonne of bus time tables with me just to check I wasn't on a route that had a bus a day, lol, but these days if you have a smart phone, it makes life easier.
You can waste a whole day doing this and never be more than 5 miles from home if you live in a urban or semi urban area
if you are a student see if a rail card is an option, again young children travel either free or at a nominal fee, in the SE it is £1 anywhere after rush hour, so check out the free museums in your nearest big town or seaside.
If you have a smart phone try geocaching, I do this with my 9 year olds, it is on one level the most boring concept you can think of but my boys love it and getting one over on the muggles grin
Either take a picnic or budget for a few sausages and a bag of chip.
I used to scour my DUs bed room for change as he just throw it on the floor wink but in absence of this, if you live near the coast an arcade and 2ps. Are an excellent time waster.

indoor and outdoor picnics are a fave of mine as is pizza night as suggested up thread.

I could go on, there is loads pound shops for paint and canvases, kites, water pistols, cricket sets, badminton sets, balls, take them to the park, to play with them, we buy the pound shop kites then make our own embellishments or use black bags to make them more sturdy, I can't buy the struts cheaper.

Check for overhead cables before kite flying smile
If seaside is an option after my suggestions , bucket spade, crabbing line, big bucket a a bit'o'bacon

Have fun you get to send them back x

missingmumxox Wed 13-Aug-14 23:31:07

Xpost I am very slow with ready

FlossyMoo Wed 13-Aug-14 23:34:54

For in door stuff you can do:

Salt dough for moulding and then baking. If you have paints around the house you can paint the hardened models. Total 74p

Paper plate masks. Again use paint to decorate or crayons/pencils. Total 50p for 50 paper plates

Paper Mache sweet bowls. Blow up balloons 50p use watered down pva glue £1 and cover the bottom half in torn up newspaper of cheap kitchen roll. Leave to set, decorate then coat again in watered down pva glue.

Get them to design their own newspapers/comic book with a name for the paper and stories relating to them or anything they choose. £2.50 for 500 sheets of paper

Madaboutthrows Thu 14-Aug-14 01:16:26

large roll of wallpaper lining paper from Wilko. Get them to invent their own board games then play them! Can also draw round each other and decorate their mini-mes

sashh Thu 14-Aug-14 06:37:47

Ask your neighbours if they have any jobs that need doing.

When I was little we used to go to Manchester airport as a treat to watch planes take off - not sure that is so interesting these days, or even if there is a 'viewing gallery'

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 14-Aug-14 07:27:07

Hopefully there's a good reason why you are providing their parents with 2 weeks of apparently free school holiday childcare, with no contribution to activities?

<asking nicely, stating a very obvious point, hoping it isn't due to family tragedies> .

Could you take them to visit other relatives of your DPs that live locally?

primarynoodle Thu 14-Aug-14 08:46:21

onilkley you would not believe how downright bloody cheeky my future inlaws are! I fully expect to decorate aibu with them In the future! but we love the dcs so.... :/

that geocaching sounds fab!! we all have bus passes and railcards but even on the train once youre paying for 5 people the costs mount up!

Pm'd you :-) come and try it, ended up at a fab little playground with a friend the other day. 8 dc between us, had a fab time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now