Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Need a tumble dryer, can't fit one in our house!

(36 Posts)
MinimalistMommi Sun 10-Aug-14 13:08:56

Cross posted in Good housekeeping.

We live in a teeny tiny house. Currently we have a tumble dryer parked in our front reception room while we renovate our terraced cottage. We don't have room for separate appliances so need to get around this some how. I considered a washer/dryer but we are on a water meter and Which.co.uk explains about how much water they use:

"Are washer-dryers a good idea if you have a water meter?
Your washer-dryer uses the same amount of water to wash as a washing machine does, but you may not realise that it uses an average of 36 extra litres of water for cooling in the drying cycle.

The amount can vary considerably from model to model. The most efficient machines use around 61 litres to wash and dry on the cotton cycle but the worst can use as much as 194 litres.

So washer-dryers may not be the best bet if you have a water meter."

Does anyone have a washer/dryer and noticed high water usage?

I don't want our bills to go sky high but we could never manage without a tumble dryer in the late autumn/winter/early spring. We also don't have room to have something like a heated airer constantly up plus I'm aware it not a great idea to dry all your washing indoors and I don't want to have to use a noisy dehumidifier.

So what can I do? I desperation I'm thinking of paying for electricity to be run outside and have a small purpose built shed to house a vented dryer?

I know someone might suggest wall mounting a tumble dryer on top of our washing machine, but it would work. Our kitchen in teeny with a huge window practically the length of the kitchen so be can't go upwards there if that makes sense, plus it would make kitchen look even smaller and feel claustrophobic. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

dementedma Thu 14-Aug-14 07:17:09

Just to say have lived in flats all my married ljkfe and have raised 3 Dcs and never had a tumble drier. Stuff goes outside where possible and on radiators or clothes horse otherwise. I don't have a condenser and the flat isn't rotten with damp...maybe I'm just lucky but it can be done.

FairyPenguin Thu 14-Aug-14 07:23:36

I have a compact tumble dryer in my bathroom - we run an extension lead in when we need to use it.

We've got ours in the garden shed which is a proper brick building with electricity and it's fine. It's vented and has the added advantage that it really helps air circulation in the shed in winter, no damp or mildew on anything. If you're going to have it somewhere remote look for one with a sensor so it carries on till everything's dry, not just a fixed time one as it's annoying to go out and find things need longer. Also an anti-crease action at the end of the run is handy as you don't hear it finish as you would in a house. We've got absolutely nowhere to put one inside the house, or a clothes horse as all our rooms are very small. Not even anywhere we could put one of those ceiling airers (we had one of those in our old house and it was brilliant - worth considering).

Frogisatwat Thu 14-Aug-14 07:39:10

My next door neighbour keeps her tumble drier in one of those plastic half shed/ cupboard type things.

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Thu 14-Aug-14 07:45:03

The washing machine is in the kitchen and I have a condenser drier in the bathroom. It is not inconvenient.

Muddledandunsure Thu 14-Aug-14 08:52:54

I live in a teeny tiny house and my condenser dryer lives in the dining room, along with the 5ft freezer, it's not ideal but it's the only place it could go.

ICanSeeTheSun Thu 14-Aug-14 11:38:30

Had a washer dryer, never again.

HelloDoris Thu 14-Aug-14 12:30:29

Our tumble dryer lives in the hallway. Not ideal but I couldn't be without it..

Agggghast Thu 14-Aug-14 12:37:54

My friend had one installed in the airing cupboard in her bathroom. It had to be installed by an electrician with some sort of non removable plug and that is on the landing. Always seems very efficient system things come out, folded and onto the shelves.

sashh Thu 14-Aug-14 12:59:54

I use a washer dryer and have for years. You can't dry a whole load, only a half load but if you know that what's the problem?

In fact the only problem I had was when a friend stayed and used it as she would her own separate dryer, she nearly burned the house down setting it to dry three times.

I know lots of people hate them, but they seem to be people who have never used them.

Anyway how big is your bathroom? Could you have a washer or dryer in there?

Ruhrpott Thu 14-Aug-14 13:14:58

We had vented one in a shed for years, we even tiled the shed floor to keep stuff clean if they fell out. We just drilled the hole in the shed wall and fitted the vent. It's a bit of a pain going out in the rain but I quickly got used to that.

Washer driers are rubbish, the drums are too small and everything comes out creased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now