Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm leaving my baby for the first time today and dreading it. Hand me a grip please?

(23 Posts)
RedPony Sat 09-Aug-14 10:31:30

DS is a month old today and the longest I have left him is in another room with DP for half an hour so I could have a bath.
DP has booked us cinema tickets for this evening and we are leaving Ds with FIL and his wife. I completely trust them to look after him but I'm dreading the thought of going somewhere without him sad
I'm being really silly aren't I?

thatstoast Sat 09-Aug-14 10:35:27

A little bit silly. What are you going to see?

Mumof3xox Sat 09-Aug-14 10:37:08

Completely normal!

wheretoyougonow Sat 09-Aug-14 10:38:46

Aw it happened to the best of us. You will get used to it and eventually see it as a Godsend that you can have a couple of hours to yourself.

Go, pretend to relax and know that it is lovely that the grandparents have some quality time with your little one.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 09-Aug-14 10:39:28

It's normal, I imagine (don't have children so don't know personally).

You'll enjoy the cinema though, what are you going to see?

ZebraZeebra Sat 09-Aug-14 10:40:27

Not silly at all! Completely normal. He's been attached to you for nine months of pregnancy and is sill in what can be considered the fourth trimester. Totally normal to feel like this.

However he will be in capable, safe and loving hands. Try to relax and enjoy the film, then enjoy the cuddles on your return smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 09-Aug-14 10:41:27

Ahh yes it is scary but you will (1) love it and (2) spend your not-film time talki g about ds or looking around for him.

DH and I went for a meal leaving three week old dd with my parents and we were literally away the time it took to be served two courses. Went back and she was fast asleep in her carrycot having had a lovely bath. I enjoyed it and my parents enjoyed it and dd clearly settled well.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sat 09-Aug-14 10:42:09

Is it normal? I couldn't wait to go out without my baby for a rest/bit of peace. Be prepared to fall asleep in the cinema OP!

ZebraZeebra Sat 09-Aug-14 10:47:23

I don't think theres anything abnormal about either. How you is how you feel. It's not silly to be a bit worries about leaving your four week old for the first time. Likewise if how you feel is you'd like a bit of space, lots of people feel like that an normal too. Why does it need to be either/or?

LadyRochford Sat 09-Aug-14 10:47:44

He will be fine, but also it is not compulsory! It's perfectly normal to feel anxious when you are separated from your baby and if it will make you unhappy then you really don't have to. I felt a lot of pressure to get out and "have time to myself", but never wanted to. Now DS is 3 I would happily hand him over for the weekend and swan off without a worry! If it's time with DH you want would going out for a little stroll be better? Then you have time to chat uninterrupted but can go home when you feel anxious.

ZebraZeebra Sat 09-Aug-14 10:48:21

Woah so many typos!

RedPony Sat 09-Aug-14 10:51:14

I'm not sure what we are seeing as DP said it's a suprise but looking at our local cinema times its either the Inbetweeners or guardians of the Galaxy. I'm really looking forward to spending some time with DP doing something nice together but I feel horrible at the thought of leaving Ds behind.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 09-Aug-14 10:52:59

Oh I saw The Inbetweeners on thursday and it was good lighthearted fun!

Mrsjayy Sat 09-Aug-14 10:57:33

You are not leaving him behind he is with people who will be cuddiling him all night longbet his grgrandparents are really looking forward to it. Go have a nice time the baby will be fine just keep yout phone on silent but he will be ok.

Mrsjayy Sat 09-Aug-14 10:58:35

Right enough first time I left dd2 we went to the cinema I fell asleep blush

SquidgyMummy Sat 09-Aug-14 11:15:42

it is perfectly normal and you are lucky having grandparents on hand!
have a good evening out!

Mrsantithetic Sat 09-Aug-14 11:25:46

Completely normal.
I didn't leave dd until she was 18 months old by which time I had built it into a huge thing.

She was fine and couldn't have cared less. I was fine and actually enjoyed myself I wish I had done it earlier

lurkingaround Sat 09-Aug-14 11:33:46

Totally normal. It's instinct to stay close to your babies and keep them safe! Don't worry, it does get easier!

SweetsForMySweet Sat 09-Aug-14 11:39:33

Don't worry, very normal to feel like that. It will take time to feel relaxed leaving your ds for longer periods.Enjoy your night out

Very normal. I've only left 4mo DD for about 4 hours all in all since she was born, and each time she's been left with OH, and I've still felt a bit jittery - thankfully I've had things to do to distract me.

She's going into nursery full time in a month while OH and I go back to nursery and I'm terrified grin so if you're abnormal then so am I wink enjoy your night out!

RedPony Sat 09-Aug-14 11:50:44

Thanks. Since iv had him I worry about the smallest things! He is bf and is cluster feeding A LOT atm. I have spent all day and this morning pumping like mad in between feeds to make sure I have enough milk for him but I keep worrying he won't have enough or he will decide he wants boob instead of bottle. We have an emergency bottle of ready made formula in the cupboard so I might send that with him too.
I'm sure I will be fine once we are there smile

PterodactylTeaParty Sat 09-Aug-14 12:09:12

Totally normal! And even if you spend the entire film unable to think about anything but DS - you'll get home, you'll see that he's fine, and it'll make you more comfortable the next time.

(If you're REALLY anxious though you don't actually have to go. Mine is 4mo and I've been turning down family offers to take her for a few hours in the evening "so you can have a break" since she was tiny - very kind offers but I knew I'd be too stress-filled to enjoy them. Luckily the offers are still valid as she gets older and I find it easier to be apart from her.)

CustardFromATin Sat 09-Aug-14 12:13:16

You're not being silly. If you deep down want to go then you absolutely should, it will be lovely to have time together.

Or if you deep down don't feel like going and couldn't enjoy it, or even if you have to leave half way through, that is also okay. One month is still so little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now