Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What to buy an 18-y-o girl you don't know very well for her birthday?

(17 Posts)
Yambabe Sat 09-Aug-14 01:32:26

Next-door-but-one's daughter turns 18 this weekend. She's having a big party in the garden and me and DH are invited. probably so we don't complain about the noise! Unfortunately they invited us verbally by telling him a couple of weeks ago so I only found out about it tonight <sigh>

We are friends with her parents but not close iyswim.

I want to take a little gift for her but I really don't know her all that well so I am a bit stumped. Don't want to take a bottle of booze as I think it's a bit inappropriate for a teenager even if she is of legal age now, don't want to just throw some cash in a card either.

She seems (from what I see of her going in an out) to be a bit of a TOWIE sort (only northern), orange tan, scouse brow, false eyelashes, clothes slightly too small and revealing for her body shape etc.

Is there anything generic that all 18-year-old girls are into? Her mum is at work tomorrow so I won't get chance in time to have a quiet word and still go shopping.

Help me!

MrsMarcJacobs Sat 09-Aug-14 01:38:12

beauty products? the safe products like lip glosses in a range of shades, Essie nail polish etc. gift voucher for a manicure?

Yambabe Sat 09-Aug-14 01:41:21

ooh like the manicure idea, thanks! smile

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 09-Aug-14 01:48:15

Bottle of champagne or an inoffensive bottle of perfume- like DKNY Be Delicious or Marc Jacob's Daisy.

I wouldn't get her a manicure voucher without asking as she may wear nail extensions and hate her normal nails. Logs of my mates (17-21 years old) have weird complexes about their natural nails! An easy thing to ask her mum though!

Yambabe Sat 09-Aug-14 01:52:34

I was thinking more a voucher for false nails and/or painting or whatever they do to them - I am so not a girly woman and have no idea how these things work!

Not sure about perfume, it's a very personal thing isn't it? Although a celeb one might go down well?

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 09-Aug-14 02:05:04

Well- you could buy a voucher just with a set amount on it from a local salon, then she can use it for whatever she wanted. That's probably a good shout!

Yeah, perfume is quite intimate and hard to get right, but I think a nice fresh, inoffensive perfume would be a nice present for an 18 year old. Marc Jacob's scents are aimed at young women and the bottles are adorable. Dot is nice, it's very soft and fruity and a lovely daytime perfume even though I usually like the scent of tobacco and pepper!

www.fragrancedirect.co.uk/marc-jacobs/marc-jacobs-dot-eau-de-parfum-spray-30ml/invt/0042469

GroupieGirl Sat 09-Aug-14 02:06:56

iTunes voucher.

missingmumxox Sat 09-Aug-14 02:49:36

For my lovely cousin I brought a basic tool set, I had already decided to get one for her, I've had one I have collected together since I was 14, and I get most annoyed that it is dh's go to tool box....he has a bout 6 took boxes, his argument is he can find them in mine!!!!! because I put them back!

Anyway it wasn't expensive £9.99, 10 years ago, but I found one in pinkhmm I compromised as she is a pink girl, neutral sets where £7.99 at the time.

It consisted of a basic screw driver set, spanners, Allan keys.

Every girl should have one grin, even if her other half ends up using it smile

Floop Sat 09-Aug-14 03:17:14

Card and a bottle of champagne. You don't know her very well, this should be fine.

Cerisier Sat 09-Aug-14 03:27:57

Another vote for a bottle of champagne. Always looks good and goes down well.

Rivercam Sat 09-Aug-14 03:51:53

Card with £18 pounds in it.

Body shop or lush basket of goodies

Scarf from monsoon

mysteryfairy Sat 09-Aug-14 05:18:03

I would just head to the mac or Bobbi brown counter tell them who it is for and ask them to recommend something popular and neutral then include the receipt when I gave it.

vanessalightyear Sat 09-Aug-14 06:49:53

Soap and glory or other premium toiletry in a nice wine gift bag. The big premium shower gels and one of the big size body scrubs fit nicely in one and it's a little surprise on opening that it's not just another bottle of booze

Icelollycraving Sat 09-Aug-14 07:08:46

Don't get her a tool set shock grin
Is there a Nars counter near you? A Laguna bronzer.

Secretblackandmidnighthag Sat 09-Aug-14 07:16:36

Tool set would be a good flat warming present but not really that useful for an 18 year old living at home! Go with vouchers I'd say. Lots of 18 yr olds don't enjoy the taste of champagne either, that's why they drink all that sweet crap!

Vouchers for Topshop, Zara or H&M.

Fairylea Sat 09-Aug-14 07:28:48

Gift card for new look or top shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now