Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

please tell me your 'isn't it a small world' stories

(218 Posts)
Loveneverfails Fri 08-Aug-14 22:43:26

Here is mine.

Went down south to visit best friend in far away south england grin

she has a new lodger.

through course of conversation we realise said lodger is pen pals with one of my good friends from another country.

They met on holiday as kids shock

Very odd!

starsandunicorns Fri 08-Aug-14 22:46:44

Was brought up down south by the the dd1 was 2 I was living in the north went to local park bumped into my old RE teacher who I hadn't seen leaving school she was visiting her parents

SetTheWorldOnFire Fri 08-Aug-14 22:46:55

Going to visit my sister after she moved to London, DP's incredibly ditzy work colleague said if we were going to London we might see her brother. DP and I had a laugh about this when he got home from work, as London is obviously quite a big place and chances seemed fairly small.

My sister's housemate was work colleague's brother.

Dontgotosleep Fri 08-Aug-14 22:47:38

Wow. That's amazing. I love coincidence stories. Will definatley be keeping up to date with this thread, even though I have nothing to share.

AlpacaPicnic Fri 08-Aug-14 22:48:42

Dh bumped into one of his customers - in the toilets in Disneyworld...
Can't take him anywhere!

My best friend Lynda is DS2's Godmother. We are both RAF families.

Last month DD2 brought her boyfriend from university home to meet us... been best friends for over a year before they became a couple and it's serious.

His godmother is.....

My best friend Lynda!!! Who became friends with boyfriend's mum in Germany!

EVEN wierder, when DD2 was 5 we went out to Germany to stay with Lynda (her kids and mine were great friends) I looked at the boyfriend and went hunting in my photo box. Sure enough they they were..aged 5 and 6, playing with Lynda's family in the garden!!!!!!!

Small world indeed!!

BOFster Fri 08-Aug-14 22:49:22

I was on a cafe terrace in Austria one time many years ago. There were only two other tables. At one, sat an elderly Australian couple- it turned out that before they'd emigrated, decades ago, the man had worked as a caretaker at the school my dad was teaching at. At the other table was a young couple from the next town up the coast at home- they taught music to a couple of girls in my class at school. It was weird- a random cafe in another country, and we were all connected!

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Fri 08-Aug-14 22:50:22

Went on holiday, bumped into next door neighbours, don't really talk to them as both busy families but same holiday. They had booked theirs a good time before us, we did a last minute deal

ShakyTheStork Fri 08-Aug-14 22:53:01

On holiday in Tenerife at a time share resort. After the long, hard time share selling talk thing, I discovered that the salesman was the son of my mentor on labour ward. She had him when she was 16 and he was adopted.

Small world indeed.

BookABooSue Fri 08-Aug-14 22:53:09

I moved into a shared flat up North. I'd only been there a few weeks when one of my friends who lived at the other end of the country (and whom I'd met when studying in a different city) telephoned. I was chatting away when she said 'Do you not want to know how I had your number?' I'd assumed my DM had passed it on but no, the other new flatmate in the flat was her friend from primary school.

SanityClause Fri 08-Aug-14 22:53:40

We went up to town yesterday on the train to see a play. In the next seat was a young woman, with an older woman. She was discussing her theatrical career.

Once in the theatre, who should walk onto the stage, but the woman from the train!

MsJupiter Fri 08-Aug-14 22:55:07

My best friend had her purse stolen when she was in a European country while on summer break from University. She approached a random, friendly looking woman to ask for help and they got chatting. It turned out the person she'd approached was at the same University as me, in the year below, doing the same very small select course and had recently been in a play I'd directed.

Floop Fri 08-Aug-14 22:55:47

My housemate at uni was the girlfriend of my boyfriend's uni flat mate. All randomly assigned!

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Fri 08-Aug-14 22:56:45

DH lived next door to, and was quite friendly with, a guy who was was going out with my very good friend from school. My friend and her boyfriend had no involvement in our meeting. The houses the two guys were living in were built by my Mum's first cousin. And Dh was in college with my sister's best friend from school.

Nocturne123 Fri 08-Aug-14 22:59:01

I live in Northern Ireland .. More often than not you can find some connection !

Higheredserf Fri 08-Aug-14 23:00:25

Bumped in to someone I knew in Chicago and also Canary Islands, can't remember which one. Someone I worked with bumped in to a guy that worked in a shop near our workplace but in Sydney.

OutDamnSpot Fri 08-Aug-14 23:01:37

I have 1, although really my parents not mine.

An old primary school friend of my mum's reconnected with her (looked up my gran in phone book, not moved 50+ years on!). She was planning to visit my mum in NE england on way home from holiday in Scotland. On beach in Scotland gets talking to an elderly local resident who asks about her plans. She says going to see old friend in X town. He says he used to live there in war with his grandparents. Mum's friend says "actually is Y village, close to X town".

Not only was that where his GPs lived but they actually lived in my parents house and he has since visited too!

spiderlight Fri 08-Aug-14 23:01:39

I wanted to find out a bit about the history of the street I was living in. I posted on a forum online and an elderly chap who'd grown up there replied with some old stories and photos of the street. We got chatting and it turned out that he was currently living a few houses away from the house I grew up in, in a completely different city, and prior to that he'd lived in the same tiny cul-de-sac that I'd lived in as a student, in a completely different area, before which he'd lived in the same street I'd lived in as a postgrad. We'd lived in the same four streets in reverse order.

scousadelic Fri 08-Aug-14 23:03:58

We live about 60 miles away from the city I grew up in. DD went to university in a different city miles away in the opposite direction. She brought a university friend home who, in conversation, remarked that I have the same accent as her dad. It turns out we were at school together and had not seen each other for over 30 years.

PixieofCatan Fri 08-Aug-14 23:06:16

I worked for a kids adventure company for one season based in Shropshire when I was 19. Most of the staff that year were from the Midlands or further north, out of the 250 of us I think something silly like 5 or 6 of us were from further south.

One of the senior staff members was talking to me and asked where I was from as I looked familiar. Turns out she was one of my older sister's best friends at primary.

The next year I went back for a weekend to visit a friend. A few more people from "down south" that year but not many. A few from all over Essex, two hung out with my younger sister on a regular basis when at home and a couple of others knew her too. There was another who was from up north but had gone to a small gig in Essex as he followed this band closely and it was an intimate venue, he'd also met her.

magimedi Fri 08-Aug-14 23:08:52

Caught an airport transfer bus from downtown San Fran to the airport & was sat next to an older woman from Australia. She had (& remembered her ) been to the same school as DH's aunt, back in the 1920's!!!!!!!!!!

Still in touch!

Beehatch Fri 08-Aug-14 23:10:17

I took my kids to a birthday party held at a friends home some distance away. 4yo DS walks in and greets the first (unknown to me) adult he sees with a breezy "hello Natalya" and gives her a hug. Turns out she helps out at his music school in our home town!

I went to uni in London some umpteen years ago, yet even now if I venture into town I'll bump into someone I know from back then. DP has given up being surprised, but I know he thinks it's witchy.

Spinaroo Fri 08-Aug-14 23:13:23

Spent a year living and working in France, where I met a guy from New Zealand doing the same thing. It turned out his brother had moved to the other side of the world to live and work near Glasgow, my home city! .

A few weeks after returning home, I was in a bar with friends and got chatting to a guy- you've guessed it- the brother!!

HauntedNoddyCar Fri 08-Aug-14 23:23:22

Quite a few.
A very good friend of mine (I was her bridesmaid) met my cousin. Turns out her dad knew my cousin's mum as a child in a small town.

Bumped into ex neighbours crossing the road in France

Bumped into uni mate on Boston Common

Bumped into friends in Tenerife.

Met my grandad's cousin in a hotel where we were both staying. Nowhere either of us had links.

mrsleomcgary Fri 08-Aug-14 23:36:37

Dh has a very distant Australian cousin who lived in London for 4 years, cousin only found out she had family here 6 months before she went back home but managed to get in contact and meet us all. Dh and I got on brilliantly with her, kept in touch and invited her to our wedding.

So cousin flys over for the wedding,spending 2 weeks in London with friends before coming up to scotland for the wedding. The friend she was staying with asked where we're getting married so she showed her the invitation and it turned out the only time the friend (who's also an aussie by the way) had ever been to scotland was to go to a wedding at our venue one year to the day before our wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now