Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

getting married tomorrow, toddler has a high fever, what do I do? :(

(41 Posts)
ikeaismylocal Fri 08-Aug-14 21:56:18

Me and dp are getting married tomorrow, everything is ready, all our close friends and family are coming to celebrate. Toddler ds has a 39 degree fever, he's had nurofen this afternoon and calpol before bed but they have worn off now, he's sleeping so I'm reluctant to wake him to give him more calpol.

I don't know what to do sad I'm so worried about ds ( I'm a worrier!) but I'm also worried about the logistics tomorrow, if I dose him up with calpol/nurofen his fever will most probably go down but we'd be exposing all our guests to whatever germs he has ( his only other symptom is a slightly runny nose and teething) everyone close to us will be at the wedding so there is no one to leave him with.

Could me and dp both be there for the vows and then swap over throughout the evening with one of us being at home watching ds?

I'm sobbing, I just don't know what to do sad

amyhamster Fri 08-Aug-14 21:58:19

Oh my goodness you poor thing

If it were me a family member would offer to stay at home with ds & look after him

That's the kindest thing anyone could do for you
Try to enjoy your day & plan another time he can celebrate with you

DoItTooJulia Fri 08-Aug-14 21:59:42

Oh honey, don't sob.

It might be a 24 hour thing and he might wake up right as rain.

Keep him dosed up, tonight if he wakes and tomorrow.

If he's not well enough tomorrow night, I'm sure one of yours guests will sit with him. They can tag team it.

I hope he's ok. And you get some rest. Get some cucumber slices on your eyes, you don't want them to be puffy in the snaps!

Good luck!

ihaveadirtydog Fri 08-Aug-14 22:00:08

Ah-poor thing. It's probably only a cold so don't worry too much about exposing your guests (unless there's someone v susceptible.

I would dose him up with as much nurofen and calpol as is safe and prevail upon your close friends and family to cuddle him when you can't if he's upset.

Hopefully he'll sleep it off and you'll all have a wonderful day

amyhamster Fri 08-Aug-14 22:00:21

A family member would rather kids your big day than have to whole thing cancelled IMO
What about a sibling or siblings partner?
Blokes often don't care for weddings IMO
They can switch over in the evening or ds might be more up to it by the evening do

WyrdByrd Fri 08-Aug-14 22:00:37

It's a horrible worry, but tbh snotty noses & temperatures go hand in hand with teething.

See how he is in the morning and take it from there.

Happypenguin2014 Fri 08-Aug-14 22:01:09

My dad had tonculitus (can't spell) day before my wedding, just kept on top with calpol and antibiotics xx

Joyousthings Fri 08-Aug-14 22:03:26

Poor you can just imagine how upset you are but remember little ones often recover very quickly so who knows maybe your little one will have a really good sleep tonight and be okay or a lot better by morning. Do you have any friends who are not going to your wedding that you didn't invite who could come to your rescue if not? In such a situation you would be surprised how willing people would be to help including those who are going to your wedding. Again i wouldn't mind if it was me as i would remember helping you out and being there for your DS when it was needed. Try to stop worrying as that will not help i know so easy to say but try to out your mind on plan B in case bpneeded. Yes you could swop with Dh but at same time friends or family could step in so easily.

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 08-Aug-14 22:03:49

Don't panic honestly. Yes it's a fever, but little ones get fevers more frequently than adults for minor ailments. Chances are he'll wake up tomorrow and be fine and you don't need to worry about exposing others to any germs.

Even if he is too poorly to attend, one of your friends or family can look after him as said by others.

Go get married, have a wonderful day, congratulations! thanks

OnlyWantsOne Fri 08-Aug-14 22:04:17

Keep him dosed up and let him sleep. I'm sure a relative can cuddle him tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry about infecting other people. There will be other germs floating around.

Unlike when my sister got married and didn't mention her dd had had d&v... We all got it. Everyone of the reception and the staff at the hotel too. twat

Thurlow Fri 08-Aug-14 22:05:15

Oh ikea, that's rubbish timing sad

The chances are it will be one of those toddler things where he is much better tomorrow.

Could you share watching him with other members of the family?

If you were anywhere near me I'd watch him.

GetYourFingersOutOfThere Fri 08-Aug-14 22:09:37

Snotty nose and fever do come along with teething, I do think he will most likely be fine tomorrow.

Call on a good friend and ask for some help!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 08-Aug-14 22:10:30

Oh poor you - what a horrid problem. If DS is at nursery do you have contact details for any of the staff there who might be able to help you out and babysit? Or neighbour or a mum locally that you're friendly with? Alternatively I think I'd ask a relative (perhaps one who's not a blood relative, eg auntie by marriage or something) if they'd mind taking him for the ceremony and then take a view as to whether to bring him alone to the party later.

PrueDent Fri 08-Aug-14 22:10:47

For some reason my children always get their highest temperatures at night.

Often they're absolutely fine the next day, bouncing around the place while I feel like shit because I've been up all night keeping a check on them.

Chances are he'll be fine tomorrow. And if not chances are he'll be fine after a dose of calpol.

Childhood fevers are often due to a simple cold or teething. Nothing sinister, and nothing that requires keeping him away from other people.

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Congratulations and enjoy your day flowers.

ikeaismylocal Fri 08-Aug-14 22:11:38

Thanks for all the kind advice. I really really hope he is better tomorrow, he had the same thing last Monday and it only lasted a day, so hopefully this follows the same pattern.

I have a couple of friends coming who have tiny babies so I'll warn them if I do dose him up, I think he'll cope ok with the day dosed up on painkillers it just goes againstall my instincts, if he is ill enough to need calpol we usually stay home. He isn't coughing or sneezing and the runny nose is clear so hopefully he isn't too contagious.

What crappy timing sad

ThisFenceIsComfy Fri 08-Aug-14 22:13:20

Really sounds like teething to me,

RJnomore Fri 08-Aug-14 22:14:04

Aww ikea fingers crossed that by tomorrow he is back to normal.

He wouldn't want to miss uncles solo dance present to you!

bluecoconut Fri 08-Aug-14 22:17:05

My DS who is 2.6 is forever getting fevers that come and go, often as quickly as they arrive. Hopefully it is a 24 hr thing and he will be ok tomorrow.
Easier said than done I know, but you should try and get some rest prior to your big day tomorrow.
Good luck!

SquattingNeville Fri 08-Aug-14 22:17:10

Oh ikea you poor thing, I've always been interested when you've posted about your wedding and my heart sank for you when I realised it was you who posted this!

If you're dosing him up on calpol/nurofen would it be worth taking a buggy to pop him in if he's tired or needing a doze? If it came to it I'm sure one of your relatives would look after him during the important bits?

Good luck for tomorrow! flowers and I hope your DS is better after a good nights sleep.

Bakersbum Fri 08-Aug-14 22:18:03

I think it sounds like teething too, especially as his runny nose is clear. I am sure he will be much better by the morning.

Congratulations for tomorrow!

ikeaismylocal Fri 08-Aug-14 22:21:13

Maybe I could ask solo dancing uncle to look after the poorly boy 2 birds one stone ;)

He's getting 4 teeth all at once at the moment, he's never had a fever this high, even when he's been more ill, but teething has never really bothered him either, maybe as it's 4 all at once his little body isn't reacting well.

Thurlow Fri 08-Aug-14 22:25:14

Chances are he will be fine.

If he's not - if he's not ill, it is a special day for you, so plenty of Calpol and water and take a pushchair he can sleep in. When they are poorly they really will just sleep. And on your wedding day, I can guarantee you'll have all the volunteers you need to take him for a walk around the block if he needs some fresh air.

LEMmingaround Fri 08-Aug-14 22:25:53

It might be worth waking him to administer the meds though as temperature tends to spike during the night. It very much sounds like teething. Congratulations on your wedding x

ImperialBlether Fri 08-Aug-14 22:31:40

Oh are you the one with the uncle who likes to waltz with himself??!

I hope you have a wonderful day. Please don't ask him to stay at home; we need to see him on YouTube!

CafeAuLaitMerci Fri 08-Aug-14 22:32:48

Stop crying!! You don't NOT want to look all puffy tomorrow!

I would give him more calpol now as well, get that temp down.

Lots of suggestions if he's not up to the day tomorrow - someone will sit with him for you, gladly, let them smile I would do it in a heartbeat for anyone whose wedding I was invited to because I would want them to enjoy their day, not spend it worrying and tag teaming with their new DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now