Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

bloomin Lidl chicken

(18 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 08-Aug-14 19:27:46

This has happened too many times.

Expiry date not passed.2 days to go.

Chicken stinks to high heaven.

[cross]

Is that just typical of Lidl? Or just bad luck?

hiddenhome Fri 08-Aug-14 19:41:04

I never buy chicken from either Lidl or Aldi as I've had similar experiences in both stores.

everydayaschoolday Fri 08-Aug-14 19:44:26

Happen to me twice, so I now freeze on day of purchase, or cook same or next day. I try to pick from the back of the chiller for longer dates and colder environment. I now ignore the overly optimistic use by date. This is for Aldi by the way.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 08-Aug-14 19:46:10

Never had problems with the other meats but I'm fairly tolerant of food on the edge of expiry dates.

But this was rancid.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 08-Aug-14 19:48:16

Yep. Happened to me 2 weeks agoangry it was too hot to drive wih it back to the store. Bought some today and just froze it. £3 for free range thighs and drums. Might drop them a line one day.

offtoseethewizard64 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:48:19

Never had a problem with Lidl chicken. I do however usually freeze breasts/fillets/diced chicken on the day of purchase but have also bought whole chickens which i don't cook until 2 - 3 days after purchase and don't freeze them.

Pleasenomorepeppa Fri 08-Aug-14 19:55:10

Happened to me today. DH went to Aldi yesterday & the chicken he chose expired today.
It was rancid. DH got as far a rubbing it in Jerk seasoning before he noticed.
If I left him to fend for himself & the DCs I'm not sure any of them would survive!

Sausages123 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:55:26

I always have this problem with Asda Chicken and M&S on more than enough occasions

squirrel996 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:56:53

We have this problem with asda chicken but Lidl has been fine (so far!)

lililon Fri 08-Aug-14 20:04:42

Yes, this has happened to me with a whole chicken and chicken breasts from Lidl. Thought the thermostat on our fridge had broken!

sebsmummy1 Fri 08-Aug-14 20:10:33

It's all supermarket chickens. They can only survive a day or so in the fridge after purchase regardless if expiry date. So if I buy chicken from anywhere I freeze or use immediately.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 08-Aug-14 20:15:15

Never had this with Lidl

The rubbish Sainsburys at the end of the road, where they leave stock out on a trolley for ages before getting it into the shelves, is bad for this though

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 08-Aug-14 20:18:29

Buy it every week and never, ever had this problem with Lidl. I have with Tesco but not Lidl.

Lally112 Fri 08-Aug-14 20:27:25

Where in the eu is the chicken from? Romania? Bulgaria? or does it not say? theyre actually probably months old but been frozen and thawed out before sent to the supermarket. Buy from your local butcher - much better value for money.

squirrel996 Sat 09-Aug-14 10:15:55

I worked for Tesco for 5 yrs and I occasionally did a night shift. The people filling up the fridges and freezers literally just put the boxes of food on the floor and then filled it up later! They often went up for their breaks and left it all there!
Then about 4 hours later they would start putting it on the shelves and sometimes if they didn't have time they put it all back on cages and back into the warehouse!

CripesItsTheGasMan Sat 09-Aug-14 10:26:10

I've had this about 5 times from lidl angry i freeze it now. We were blaming our fridge at first .

Redhead11 Sat 09-Aug-14 10:27:06

Never had a problem with Lidl's meat. I think it must have been bad luck, OP.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 09-Aug-14 10:39:51

I do have issues with my fridge though. I got mouldy cheese just after a few days of being open, when before it could go for much longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now