Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ideas for celebrating 7 years since heart transplant

(29 Posts)
misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 16:58:28

Next Friday it will be 7 years since dh received a wonderful gift that saved his life and changed our lives forever.

Next Thursday is the day his donor passed away, so will have a little private remembrance for them.

Ideas please.

We have 6 children now ages 14, 11, 9, 5, 3 and 2 and would like to involve them smile

Forgettable Fri 08-Aug-14 17:04:28

Hi Misdee

Wow at 7 years since the transplant and Pink Peter.

Something like planting a tree, a productive tree like apple/plum? The children can help to fill in the soil, you all can tread it in.

Redrosesarethebest Fri 08-Aug-14 17:05:35

Wow, I can't believe it is 7 years ago. I think of you often

snice Fri 08-Aug-14 17:07:53

I can't believe it's been that long! I was also going to suggest a tree but am sure someone will be along we with something more imaginative

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 17:09:36

oh a tree is a good idea. however we are hoping to move house in the next 6months, so might ask his parents if we can plant something at their house.

Cereal0ffender Fri 08-Aug-14 17:15:46

Hurrah, I can't believe it has been 7 years! Have another baby!
I was on mn loads when you were waiting for the transplant.

Cereal0ffender Fri 08-Aug-14 17:16:31

Make hearts out of loom bands and bedeck the place and have a party

ChippyMinton Fri 08-Aug-14 17:20:17

I remember that night smile
How about re-editing your video with new footage showing all the wonderful stuff that's happened in the last 7 years? With a big cake and seven candles.

JulesJules Fri 08-Aug-14 17:23:50

7 years! I can't believe it!

I was going to say tree as well grin

We have got an apple tree which has red apples which are red/pink inside, it's called Red Love See here

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 18:09:19

Oh lovely lovely ideas.

Loom band hearts , the girls would have a blast with that .

Who wants to see a picture of the kids? Take at sparklymieows wedding?

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 18:11:07

7th child for 7 years cerealoffender? I don't think I can keep that tradition up year on year lol. Though we could sponser a child, share a bit of hope about.

flamingtoaster Fri 08-Aug-14 18:30:43

Gosh is it really seven years ago. I remember the wait you all went through. I was going to say a tree too. What about getting the children to make a heart shaped cake (i.e. a Valentine heart shape, not an anatomically correct one unless you are feeling very inspired!).

mummymeister Fri 08-Aug-14 18:45:19

my DD has heart disease - what a lovely post to read, thank you for sharing it. You can get a tree that you plant in a pot like a beautiful acer or something that flowers/buds at this time of year. you can also do something like sponsor a child abroad in your name or the name (anonymous name) of the donor. what about something like a piece of jewellery with everyones birth stone in it then this is something that you can hand down through your family with the story to it. I would personally go for a bit of sculpture or glassware (worried about the tree suffering due to my lack of green fingers)

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 18:50:00

I have found a potted rose called 'remember me' which I may buy.

A potted tree is something I can look into as our next home will be where we hopefully stay until the small ones have grown up and left home.

I am hoping to have many more years with Peter so we can use all these lovely ideas like chasm and bracelets, which dd1 would love.

Esmum07 Fri 08-Aug-14 18:58:29

We had a tree for DS birth (he is a heart child- congenital heart defect). But we have ours at a local attraction that has a 'rainbow' forest being built. Lots of places offer the chance to have something planted and cared for on their land. You can usually get a plaque put up and you can visit your tree as often as you like. We went for an oak, which would never fit in our garden!

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 19:09:46

Oh that's an idea to store away. Thank you

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 21:30:53

Have ordered a rose 'remember me'

Because how can I forget them? I can't. Every time I look at our youngest three children, I remember. They wouldn't be here without peters donor.

Hobnobissupersweet Fri 08-Aug-14 21:39:30

What a lovely rose Misdee, I also cannot believe that it is 7 years since Peter's transplant. Many congratulations on your enlarged brood. Xxx

I love the rose, I might steal that idea for DH's next significant transplant Aniversay. smile

misdee Fri 08-Aug-14 23:34:35

Go for it, next year will hopefully be one in our new garden as well as in-laws garden smile

misdee Sat 09-Aug-14 19:28:25

Had a look at the woodland trust and there is a wood not too far away where we can dedicate trees.

BabyGoose Sat 09-Aug-14 20:21:43

There was a radio 4 programme on a few months ago where a listener called in to say thank you to the anonymous family who donated organs to her sister. It made me sob and also made me join the organ donor list. It was called 'Saturday Live'. I'll try to find it.

Congratulations on your seven wonderful years x

BabyGoose Sat 09-Aug-14 20:24:40
misdee Sat 09-Aug-14 21:20:14

Thank you baby goose, I will listen to that later, just watching a film with Peter.

misdee Thu 21-Aug-14 20:23:18

Picture of dd4 and dd5 helping with watering the rose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now