Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would anyone mind giving me their opinion on detention in secondary school please for my Teaching Assistant course

(82 Posts)
LittleMisslikestobebythesea Fri 08-Aug-14 14:31:07

Don't know if I am allowed to ask, apologies if not, sorry MNHQ blush I am a regular poster.

I am doing my assignments for my teaching assistant level 3 course, and one of them is about secondary school and people's thoughts on detention.

As both my children and my friends children are in primary, while I have opinions on it, it would obviously be useful to have opinions from parents with older children.

If I am not allowed to post/need to post elsewhere let me know and I will report myself! grin

Thank you for your help smile

BadDog Sat 09-Aug-14 10:09:08

detention, like prison wink isnt just for the offender though. it is to give a firm message to others that whatever the behaviour was is nOT acceptable.

Maryz Sat 09-Aug-14 10:12:41

"Children who don't want to be there shouldn't be"

I agree with you absolutely. This forcing 15 to 19 year olds who are not academic, never were academic, never wanted to be academic to spend 6-7 hours a day 40 weeks a year sitting in a classroom is just torture.

No wonder they kick up, no wonder they cause trouble outside school.

Compulsory education might seem like a good idea, but does it have to be dry English and Maths and History and sitting at a desk?

If they put some of the education money into teaching kids trades for example, that might solve some of the lack of interest and disruption for older teenagers at least [sigh]

Maryz Sat 09-Aug-14 10:14:55

Exactly Elephants.

Some teachers are willing to accept good excuses, occasionally, from otherwise hardworking children.

Others just snap occasionally and give out detentions randomly, not taking any notice of who has a good reason and who hasn't done any homework at all for a month hmm

Yes BadDog, exactly, but that's fair enough for 14 year olds; by 16 any child who wants to do well with do homework without the thread. If they haven't learned by then, there realistically is little a teacher can do.

Rooners Sat 09-Aug-14 10:20:59

I don't pin it all on the teachers btw. There are a lot of parents who terrified of the consequences of allowing a child not to attend mainstream will enforce it themselves till they are blue in the face. People are sometimes simply too ignorant to understand children's needs.

I remember sitting at the table at home one morning with my mother when I was 10 or 11, crying and saying that I couldn't face another day at school, and her putting her head in her hands and actually screaming.

She said it really scared her because it was not 'normal'.

So whatever schools do there will be children who are at the receiving end of some serious parental issues, probably physical violence and all sorts of threats and dramatics.

I could never be a teacher

Maryz Sat 09-Aug-14 10:27:08

That's awful Rooners flowers

With hindsight, I think that's how ds1 felt about school. I wish he had told me - though I'm not sure I would have had the strength to take him out.

I'm very different with ds2 though - there are days I just let him stay at home because I know mentally he won't cope with the day. I also sometimes let him do his homework after breakfast and take him in late, for the same reason.

I think schools need to be more flexible rather than having a strict "one size fits all, and if you don't fit we will punish you" policy.

Though I suppose that's really deviating from the point of the thread.

Sorry op smile

Higheredserf Sat 09-Aug-14 10:39:37

They have made dc litter pick at after school detentions at my DS school. After school ones are for serious offences and break time ones for less serious. He has had two break time detentions one for talking so justified and one which seemed a little unfair as he was the last to sit down at the start of a lesson.

I don't agree with all class detentions at all, very unfair.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sat 09-Aug-14 10:58:38

DDs maths teacher is great, but there seems to be a few DCs in sets 2/3 and in more mixed ability stuff like art and drama who are determined to do no work even though they are capable of getting C/B grades.

Just throwing these DCs in detention does not for fill the need to find out why they are willing to risk their futures for want of 3 months effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now