Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've just measured my waist

(210 Posts)
Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 12:31:10

and it's 35 inches.

:-(

I'm size 14/16, and have always considered myself a pear shape, always had a defined waist.

I'm quite shocked that having a waist this size puts me at risk of health problems even though I'm not really significantly overweight (I mean I am overweight, but only by about 20lbs).

Just that really. Not sure why I'm posting this.

BreeVDKamp Fri 08-Aug-14 12:36:06

Mine's about 38 inches and I'm a 14/16 too. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're healthy and don't have much fat!

foslady Fri 08-Aug-14 12:39:55

I'm with you on this one. I'm a 14/16 heaviest I've ever been and only just got my head in the right place to do something. I'm low carbing, body is changing but it was the 1st weigh in years last week......and then this week heavier by 2lb and no idea why!!!!

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 12:40:45

Bree - I'm 48. Someone I know recently dropped dead from a heart attack at just a few years older than me. No obvious symptoms or warning. My BIL has been medically retired since 47 following heart problems.

I am going to worry if my waist measurement is putting my health at risk.

You can't call yourself 'healthy' if you're carrying lots of excess fat around your middle, no matter how much muesli you eat.

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 12:41:32

Sorry Bree, didn't mean that to sound like I'm targeting you. I'm thinking about myself.

Madlizzy Fri 08-Aug-14 12:42:33

Mine's around 36". Even when I was 8 stone wet through, I still had a 29" waist.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 08-Aug-14 12:46:22
TheCowThatLaughs Fri 08-Aug-14 12:49:50

It's good to worry about it! I got worried and have lost about 3.5 stone (with at least another 2 to go, but I'm feeling a lot better). All the stuff about waist measurements is evidence-based.

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 12:53:30

What's really interesting is the fact that women of normal weight are still at higher risk of heart disease - quite significantly higher - if they're carrying excess weight around the middle.

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 12:55:11

I'm losing weight ATM, on my 1940's style eating plan. (I made it up, it just means I'm eating like food is still being rationed - no snacks between meals, precious little butter, sugar or red meat, lots of vegetables).

ouryve Fri 08-Aug-14 12:59:03

I'm about 4lb overweight. If i measure above my hips, mine's currently 34". If I measure level with my belly button, it's nearly 40". I'm ignoring that measurement, though, as my belly button is below the tops of my hip bones, so that's absolutely not my "waist".

Even when I was just above 9 stone, a few years ago (I'm just below 11, atm) I was 31" at the thinnest point. And ridiculously saggy.

DrinkBelliniFallDown Fri 08-Aug-14 13:01:14

Where exactly should you measure?

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 08-Aug-14 13:02:29

I think there's just a warped idea forming of a healthy size. Really unless you're very tall or do a specific sport you should be in a dress size 12 or smaller.

Just because a size 16 is average it doesn't mean that it's healthy. Especially with vanity sizing expanding the sizes constantly.

Hopefully this keeps you motivated OP! I've put on just under a stone the last year and have just quit bad food. It isn't a diet, it's forever. That's my outlook!

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 08-Aug-14 13:03:13

Drink when you bend to the size, where you crease is your natural waist.

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 13:04:31

Apparently you find the bottom of your ribs and your hip bone, and measure half way in between. In me that's around where my belly button is.

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 08-Aug-14 13:07:04

Mine's 31, I've lost 2 inches in 4 weeks by cutting out bread and reducing the amount of pasta I eat.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Fri 08-Aug-14 13:08:31

I've just measured mine and it's 32.5inches. I'm 10/12 and 5ft 2 although I have another 11lbs to lose before I get to my bmi of 25 (I've lost over 3.5stone so far). My hips are 38inches at their biggest.

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 13:08:38

Theres - I should be a 10 to 12.

I've got an old Jaeger skirt in the cupboard that I bought in a charity shop. I think it's about 10 years old, but could be older. It's absolutely beautiful and immaculate.

It's a size 12 but is very, very small compared to supermarket sizes. I wear a lot of Sainsbury's clothes and can easily fit a size 14. If you couldn't get into a supermarket size 8 to 10 you couldn't get into my Jaeger skirt.

walde Fri 08-Aug-14 13:09:17

Shit! 31.5" puts you at risk?! I'm 8.5 st and have 29" waist. I thought I was slim! I don't have much leeway if I put weight on in future.

Mines is 30" but I still have a fair bit of weight to lose.

Mini That skirt will be the correct size, supermarkets etc, seem to be getting much bigger with sizing.

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 08-Aug-14 13:12:52

I have a silk dress, which I love. I used to work in a hospital, so was on my feet all day. Now I work from home so my exercise level has plummeted. I'm determined to get back into the dress. I can't do the back up at the moment sad Another inch will do it, I think. It's very hard though. I've joined a gym, cut out snacks, cut out wheat, gorn all lentil weaver etc. I have a couple of fibroids which push my intestines up, and that's really not helping.

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 13:15:57

I think the whole 'love your curves' thing is insidious.

I don't bloody love my fat when it's putting my health at risk.

I love myself as a human being and want to stay alive and well for as long as possible.

LadySybilLikesCake Fri 08-Aug-14 13:17:11

I don't love my curves. I look like a rectangle with tits and no waist. I love my dress though wink

Minifingers Fri 08-Aug-14 13:17:42

Can't wait to get into all my size 10/12 clothes.

I also have a beautiful too small silk dress which I see every time I look in my wardrobe for something stretchy and big to put on, which won't cling to my gut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now