Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bachs Rescue Remedy - your thoughts?

(31 Posts)
SpaceInvaders Fri 08-Aug-14 00:52:49

I'm a regular poster, i just get fed up of my name every now and again and have a change!
Got some of this earlier today,as I've had it before and seems to chill me out when I feel stressed.
DH says it's a load of hokum though and 'doesn't believe in it.'
I'm of the opinion that even if it is a psychological effect, and it works as a placebo who the feck cares if it works for you?! smile
I'd be interested to know how it works as in theory it should be a load of poop. It does calm me down if I;m feeling stressed though! How?!

kazza446 Fri 08-Aug-14 00:55:19

Worked for me! Took it before an interview helped calm my nerves and enabled me to think rationaly. I got the job

Stratter5 Fri 08-Aug-14 01:00:54

Homeopathy.

Quite simply put, I don't see any homeopaths volunteering to go out to Africa, and cure the victims of Ebola.

ie it's a load of bollocks

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 08-Aug-14 01:08:15

Someone told me it was just brandy!!

ZenNudist Fri 08-Aug-14 01:10:58

Used to calm me down a treat when I had driving test woes & subsequent nervous driver panics.

I remember someone saying that it's just for nervous nellies but if it helps then go with it. I never need it nowadays.

AppleYumYum Fri 08-Aug-14 01:12:58

Homeopathy = placebo effect really as it contains nothing. Although I will say we used to give our dogs Bach rescue remedy during thunderstorms and it knocked them out, so I'd believe it was pure rum...

SpaceInvaders Fri 08-Aug-14 01:25:20

Someone told me it was just brandy!!

It's got an alcohol element, so that might have something to do with it! smile
I do get anxious sometimes and a quick squirt of this stuff, placebo or not does work.
Was just wondering what was behind that thinking.... as I'm usually not woo or alternative medicine at all.

SpaceInvaders Fri 08-Aug-14 01:27:45

Homeopathy

Isn't homeopathy to do with showing something water and then it imprinting there for ever more?
Is bachs remedy homeopathy in the same vein? (If it is excuse my ignorance!)

todayisnottheday Fri 08-Aug-14 01:29:45

Hope it's not rum, I used it in water during my (exceedingly fast) labour with dd! It was fab, kept me calm and focused and feeling in control all the way through. Had as close to painless labour as is possible. I don't think it's hokum, it seems pretty clear that animals use plants medicinally (even domestic dogs eat grass to induce vomiting when toxins build up, certain birds eat clay for the same reason). Why wouldn't plants have an effect on the body? We know some effect us badly, why wouldn't others effect us positively?

valrhona Fri 08-Aug-14 01:43:51

I used it in the past for flying. It helped. Mostly it's brandy though smile

KatyN Fri 08-Aug-14 06:35:26

It's not homeopathy. It is herbal. Homeopathy has a tiny amount of the 'active' ingredient. So little that in my opinion I can't do anything.

Rescue remedy has a normal amount of herbs in it... In booze.

I use it occasionally. I also drink pink camomile tea when I'm stressed...

PolterGoose Fri 08-Aug-14 08:31:54

Katy homeopathic potions have no active ingredient at all, they rely on a premise that water has a memory of the ingredient.

Unlike homeopathy, Bach remedies do contain actual real extracts, but at tiny concentrations, I'm not convinced they offer anything more than placebo but at least they do contain what they say they do.

annabanana19 Fri 08-Aug-14 09:15:07

I use it every now and then and it works for me.

Don't really care what's in it but it works.

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 08-Aug-14 10:11:34

Can't be a placebo on a dog though?

footballagain Fri 08-Aug-14 10:18:02

As other posters have said, it's not homeopathy. Does it have valerian in it? I drink valerian tea when I have trouble sleeping.

I've used it on my dog with good results!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Fri 08-Aug-14 10:18:36

It can't be a placebo on a dog, but the dog didn't use it. You did. It was you who perceived it to have an effect on the dog, not the dog itself.

Its bollocks/hokum/woo/rubbish/...insert word of choice. But it will work if you believe it will.

tilliebob Fri 08-Aug-14 10:21:31

It's doesn't work on me at all and it mings! However Kalms tablets work for me and I'm sure they are just a placebo too.

MehsMum Fri 08-Aug-14 10:46:04

I looked up Bach remedies on Wiki, that fount of all knowledge, and it tells me that, 'As this dilution process results in the statistical likelihood that little more than a single molecule may remain, it is claimed that the remedies contain "energetic" or "vibrational" nature of the flower and that this can be transmitted to the user.'

One molecule of a flower? In the whole bottle? Sounds as if any effect is a result of the brandy and the placebo effect.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 08-Aug-14 10:48:02

I use it a lot, have done for 30 years or so,ds uses it when he has exams at school.

Snake oil.
I think that for the placebo effect to work you have to believe in it?

AttentionSeekingFantasist Fri 08-Aug-14 10:50:14

Alcohol and placebo. Which is not to say it won't work for you - psychosomatic responses are great sometimes.

PistolWhipped Fri 08-Aug-14 10:51:18

It's a very effective placebo. Nothing else.

RoobyMurray Fri 08-Aug-14 10:54:54

Placebos are great aren't they?!

Re dogs: the likelihood is that they would've calmed down anyway at that point, maybe because they got used to the noise, maybe they got tired or bored, maybe they perceived calmness in your behaviour after the placebo was administered etc etc.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 08-Aug-14 11:08:35

I think dr Batch came up with the idea by daydreaming in the woods and imagining what sort of personalities various plants might have.

He then decided that the essence of the plant personalities would be captured in the dew which settled on the petals in the morning.
It couldn't be more surreal and ethereal if it tried.

footballagain Fri 08-Aug-14 11:10:07

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now