Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you had a few hours to kill on a weekday evening in London with two young teens, where would you go?

(34 Posts)
MassaAttack Thu 07-Aug-14 21:01:18

I'm planning a day trip to That London. We'll be arriving at Paddington at 11:50, so fairly late. We want to visit the Imperial War Museum and Tate Modern - although open to other suggestions - and so don't have a huge amount of time between arriving and catching the obvious choice 19:20 home.

Times are the result of jiggling with ticket prices - so I'm thinking of possibly taking a later train back (maybe the 21:45) rather than trying to squeeze too much into 7 hours and being in a rush. But obviously getting the 21:45 means we have a couple of hours to kill.

I'm doing this on a budget. If it was just me, I'd meet up with an old buddy and get sloshed, but I don't think that would be quite right with 13 yo ds and 14yo dn grin

Ideas, please smile

MassaAttack Thu 07-Aug-14 21:26:13

Could we hang out in Harrods for an hour or two?

Trocadero?

spudmasher Thu 07-Aug-14 21:28:32

South bank. Very buzzy at this time of year.

bigTillyMint Thu 07-Aug-14 21:29:24

Chinatown for a bite to eat? Or the Southbank - always buzzing and popular with my teens?

bigTillyMint Thu 07-Aug-14 21:29:48

Xposts spud!

MassaAttack Thu 07-Aug-14 22:05:44

Chinatown and the Torocadero - of course!

I go to London a lot, but always for work. It's been many, many years since I went as a young hipster, let alone as a teenager.

Thank you smile

Bothofyou Thu 07-Aug-14 22:06:31

South bank is fab, and if you can stretch to it the London eye is right there and fab to go on at dusk, watching all the lights of London getting turned on as you go round.

MassaAttack Thu 07-Aug-14 22:06:32

Fuck knows what the Torocadero is confused

You get my drift grin

MassaAttack Thu 07-Aug-14 22:08:16

I only ever visit South Bank in the daytime these days - are there places we could just hang out? I'll see if I can get a deal on the London Eye (it's not just funds shortage, I'm also compulsively tight fisted grin )

Take the 21.45 and go for dinner. The dc love going to china town looking at the food hanging in the windows and they love chinese food.

Word of warning the imperial war museum
Could easily take all of your time if they are serious history buffs. We walked from the London eye to iwm, it didn't take long at all.

Deluge Thu 07-Aug-14 22:14:35

Your kids will like Trocqdero but it wont b e cheap - loads of arcade games!

Enough time for a film?

Second a bite to eat in Chinatown. Or Covent Garden?

Trocadero/Chinatown/cinemas in Leicester Sq are all within 5 mins walk from each other.

MassaAttack Thu 07-Aug-14 22:25:58

Ace - we're going to have a blast smile

Totally going to book the 21:45. I was a bit worried that we'd be booted out of Tate Modern at 18:00 and then be wandering around bored until gone nine, or have to rush back for the 19-wotnot.

Friends and Family Railcard btw - which I just bought for £27 - means the train is costing us less than £40 return for all three of us. I intend to make the most of it before they both reach 16 grin

MassaAttack Fri 08-Aug-14 19:11:00

Me again. Any Chinatown restaurant recommendations?

Or maybe one of the big, cheesy places like Sticky Fingers?

Hoping for something a bit showy, iykwim. Tacky, if you like ��

Bothofyou Fri 08-Aug-14 19:47:04

I would just find one of the all you can eat restos in china town or soho if you're going that way. South bank has good evening atmosphere with buskers and good street food along the way, and while the London eye is pricey it takes a good chunk of time and is memorable (queue lol, 30mins rotation, do book for dusk if you can!!) and also it is a damn site better. VFM than the arcades at trocodero.

Personally, I would do the museums, walk over the bridge and go to st Paul's cathedral on the other side, get the tube to Greenwich and get the water boat back along the Thames to south bank, get street food, go for a mocktail up the oxo tower on the outside balcony, go on the London eye and go home again.

But there are a billion options! You can. Sometimes get a cheap as chips dinner and theatre deal on last minute, though I'm basing that on about ten years ago....

CelticPromise Fri 08-Aug-14 19:50:59

Southbank for wandering and food will be lush.

oddsocksmostly Fri 08-Aug-14 20:15:29

Tate is open late on Friday and Saturdays if that is helpful, and there is a restaurant there. I agree with poster who advised allowing enough time for the IWM.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 08-Aug-14 20:27:04

Try the Thames Clipper cheaper than cruises.

MassaAttack Fri 08-Aug-14 20:31:20

I love Greenwich, both Not that I've been there since 19 ninety <mumbles>

A boat trip sounds awesome. And Southbank. And St Paul's.

I go to London every month, but never get to do this stuff smile

NigellasDealer Fri 08-Aug-14 20:32:19

Chinatown = a nice restaurant not an all you can eat cos those are shite and then the loon fung supermarket
please not the trocadreary

Sicaq Fri 08-Aug-14 20:45:07

Loon Fung is really nice, and so is the big shop just opposite: go up to the first floor for some lovely Asian treats. Wonderful Patisserie sells brilliant, huge sweet or savoury buns for around £1; you can take a huge bag home. I have also never had a bad meal in any of the all-you-can-eats (and I've had a lot grin)

MassaAttack Fri 08-Aug-14 20:51:01

Thames Clipper is cheap as chips. Good call, enrique.

Cornflakesnmilk Fri 08-Aug-14 20:55:23

This is the view from my house shows off unnecessarily but the point is the tower thing is a new attraction/ride on the Sth bank which I imagine your dc would love. The other pic is of the London eye - if the weather is nice it'd be fab

MassaAttack Fri 08-Aug-14 21:11:35

cornflakes that's ace smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now