Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do you honestly think about people who have a stockpile of food in case of emergency?

(185 Posts)
atticusclaw Thu 07-Aug-14 19:55:59

Prompted by the rationing thread I looked at a zombie thread where people were suggesting that it would indicate mental health problems and was bizarre behaviour.

Do you think its odd and to do with having a certain personality or is it just sensible (will happily declare that I have more than ten tins of baked beans in the garage!)

SantanaLopez Thu 07-Aug-14 19:58:16

Fucking mental, tbh.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 07-Aug-14 19:58:41

Massively sensible.

I haven't done it.

I really should.

I watched The Doomsday Preppers and they all had some pretty sound ideas.

wantacatplease Thu 07-Aug-14 20:02:21

I'm thinking of doing it after unearthing quite a large cellar space under our old house. I don't know why, though. Nothing in the news has scared me particularly but it's just having an paranoid innate need to protect my family I guess.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Thu 07-Aug-14 20:03:26

Depends on the scale

We are told by our local council that we should have 3 days of food and water to keep us going in case of emergency if we have no power or water. (major Canadian city)

But a bunker of food to last a year? bonkers!

noblegiraffe Thu 07-Aug-14 20:05:30

I think the people in Toledo USA who had a stockpile of water were feeling pretty smug at the weekend.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/04/toledo-mayor-lifts-ban-declares-drinking-water-safe/

RedErik Thu 07-Aug-14 20:05:55

I think it would suggest the person is a very anxious type, prone to worrying too much. So yes possible mental health probs.

atticusclaw Thu 07-Aug-14 20:06:48

When we had the bird flu scare I saw a memo to senior people in a public sector organisation recommending 3 months of food and water for each member of the family. Really made me think about it.

DiaDuit Thu 07-Aug-14 20:08:16

sensible and I intend to build up a stockpile when money situation is improved. not a year's supply though as have very little space.

Armi Thu 07-Aug-14 20:08:27

I don't have a stockpile of food but I do have a Box of Last Resort, which contains stuff like toothbrushes, loo roll, baby wipes, matches, bar of soap, a few sanitary towels, a few tea bags and that sort of thing, in case I run out (we live in the country). It's not really for use during a zombie Armageddon but I suppose if we had to evacuate the house in a rush in the dead of night we'd have some essentials in a handy box all ready to go. I keep meaning to add a packet of cigarettes and a bottle of gin - we gave up smoking years ago but if we ever need to exit swiftly with the Box of Last Resort I reckon we'll be in the sort of situation where one needs a drink and a fag.

Namechangearoonie123 Thu 07-Aug-14 20:08:55

I think it would indicate anxiety or unresolved childhood issues.

There are a lot of people who have issues with food and weren't given enough as a child due to poverty or an issue in the family. One woman I know was told every day she mustn't get fat as a child and was very underweight.

She now keeps far too much food in the house because of it .

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 07-Aug-14 20:10:19

My darling Nanna used to do it - she had loads of extra food stashed away in the garage, wardrobes in the spare room, etc. How we laughed at her - hahahaha

Now, I find myself doing it too. Stocks of baked beans (I don't even like them), toilet rolls, pasta and rice (among others). Especially in winter, when one might get caught short in a storm . . .

I don't think I have mental health problems, I blame Costco!

JudysPriest Thu 07-Aug-14 20:13:31

I do it.

I may be fucking mental, but once you've had tax credits stopped when off sick from work and ssp just covers your wage you worry about it happening again.

I have an extra freezer and a big cupboard which we use as a larder.

Viviennemary Thu 07-Aug-14 20:14:34

I've loads of cleaning stuff and cloths of every description. I blame Kim and Aggie. I suppose you do actually have to use them. grin

sixlive Thu 07-Aug-14 20:15:29

Live in the country so in the winter have enough food in the freezer and cupboards for a week and enough wood for the stoves. That's the weird thing that people often don't think of alternative heating as well as food.

DownByTheRiverside Thu 07-Aug-14 20:17:27

I have a stash of emergency supplies, the 4 of us could manage for a fortnight or so.
It's not mental health issues, I just like to be prepared for any possible problems. I like to anticipate.
It's proved useful over the years, so I intend to continue on my merry way. smile

WeirdCatLady Thu 07-Aug-14 20:17:34

We have an area in our utility room with a sign that says "Zombie Apocolypse Preparation" and this is where we keep our stocks of tins and coco pops. We also have a 5l bottle of water there.

But this is because dd adores zombies and wanted to have a small stockpile for when the zombies take over grin

TheSarcasticFringehead Thu 07-Aug-14 20:18:54

I would say they have MH problems or similar. My older brother has a stockpile of food...a mix of childhood issues and anxiety.

Yambabe Thu 07-Aug-14 20:19:07

I do it, but not to a huge extent. We could probably live for a week on what I have in the cupboards without needing to buy anything else. I also always have a stash of candles and torches and a camping stove in the house.

Goes back to my childhood for me, I was a child of the 70s and remember power cuts very well - we spent many a night playing cards or board games by candlelight in our house. I also lived in a small northern seaside town that was only accessible via a very steep hill - it wasn't unusual for us to get cut off in the winter so having a few extra tins of food in the house was a very good idea!

Pixiedust49 Thu 07-Aug-14 20:21:41

This has never even occurred to me. I shop for the week. That's it.

ilovechristmas1 Thu 07-Aug-14 20:22:45

i used to stock pile,washing powder,loo rolls,tins etc i put it down to when my ex got laid of every year for 2-3 months but even years later i still have a habit of doing it

i do it in the winter as im sure a storm is going to cut all power etc etc,i live in a big town with the nearest store 40ft away blush

same with medicine in the winter just in case

i do have MH problems Bi-polar

i love reading Martin Lewis forum on prepping for winter im addicted,i am better than i was though

DownByTheRiverside Thu 07-Aug-14 20:23:01

Really? You are happy chucking around random judgements as to people's mental wellbeing based on whether we have a full store cupboard?
I get irritated when shit happens and I think 'Why didn't you plan ahead you twit? Did you think that the magic Fixit Fairy would twinkle on over and sort stuff out for you?'

ilovechristmas1 Thu 07-Aug-14 20:25:42

ive even had my gas fire taken out and gone back to an open fire,you see if he power goes i can cook on it,thats not really the reason i changed i do love an open fire but it's handy to know if we have gas shortages in the future we have warmth and cooking facilities,mad i know but it reassures me

AuntieStella Thu 07-Aug-14 20:26:45

I think it's normal.

I'm an older MNetter, from a family with long generations, and those who have lived through war do this pretty routinely. Also, as DM is now well into her 80s and hates going out when it's icy, it makes sense to have a couple of weeks of tins plus enough flour to keep the bread machine going.

If you have an entire ISO container full it might be a bit excessive. But a couple of shelves and a chest freezer can keep you going for ages.

treaclesoda Thu 07-Aug-14 20:28:02

I don't have a massive stockpile for a zombie apocalypse, but I always keep a good supply of 'stuff' in the house.

I do have anxiety problems but I don't really think that has anything to do with it. It's more that I am a control freak and I like to be prepared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now