Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Things in kids programmes that annoy/baffle you

(113 Posts)
ipswichwitch Thu 07-Aug-14 15:58:00

DS1 loves Curious George. Recent episodes have had:
George getting a seat on a plane - so he can seemingly bend all animal transport and quarantine rules.
George being left in charge of a sweet shop- apart from environmental health laws and all the hair setting in the chocolates, the owner is shocked to find he's given most of the sweets away. HE'S A MONKEY FFS!
George allowed to mind a birthday cake in an Italian restaurant with all manner of mayhem involving a very stupid dog. How that restaurant is still open is beyond me.
George gets sent to outer space and all the scientists freak out that he's let all the creepy crawlers out the box in the space ship. Again, HE'S A MONKEY FFS.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's petty, but for some reason really gets my goat. What does your head in on kids TV, and which programmes would you gladly see the back of?

PrueDent Sun 10-Aug-14 16:05:24

VodkaJelly four children and not one of them knows any twins?

I live in a tiny village in the arse end of nowhere and there are at least six sets of child twins here that I know of. I also know adults, also living here, who have grown up twins or who are a twin.

Maybe there's something in the water here.

Bananas in pyjamas. They need ss to intervene. They are the most gullible eejits known to tv and are incapable of dressing themselves.

And Bottletop Bill. Why can he not man up and say "Actually, Mrs Whistlehead, no. Not today. Today I am not going to save your sheep from the great wild wooly. I did that yesterday. And the day before that. Actually, Mrs Whistlehead, if you can't manage your farm alone may I suggests you either sell it or employ some people to work on it. Because the same story every day is not good tv!"

TightyMcTight Sun 10-Aug-14 11:48:21

Poi from Show me Show me played Po.

I get over the stupid shapes being called square etc by shouting loudly over the top of the song, I have a square face, I have a triangle face. Etc. DS loves it!

hiccupgirl Sun 10-Aug-14 11:30:04

64 bloody Zoo Lane...not only are snakes not slimy, hippos are not fat! God, I hate that damn song.

My DS lives Kate and Mimmim which has just started in CBeebies...it's just wierd in every way possible. I get that the giant purple bunny is her small bunny big in her imagination but who are all the other freaks?

rumbleinthrjungle Sun 10-Aug-14 11:18:03

Really sorry Robert but IgglePiggle looks so like David Cameron I can't see Di Caprio landing the role. He could never do the benignly wet expression properly.

ITNG - IgglePiggle's blanket is pinched by Macca Pacca (who needs a paediatrician referral, washing everything, polishing stones and stacking them in threes by order of size? I know it's a Zen thing but really) and this ends perfectly happily. Er, no. I want to see the unedited version where Macca Pacca refuses to let it go and IgglePiggle thumps him, and there are screaming paddies on both sides. I still can't deal with Derek Jacobi solemly intoning a whole lot of nonsense, presumably clinging to a cheque to get himself through it. It's as good as Penelope Keith in the Teletubbies with her fuck-off voice going "I am the Bear".

Derek Jacobi saying reproachfully that somebody's not in bed while poor Upsydaisy chases her bed all over the garden really makes me cross.

And bizarre mythology - Teletubbies. They're obviously larvae form of something, as Po demonstrates they start young and grow larger/older, but there are only a few of them. What the heck is Tinky Winky going to grow into? Some kind of multi coloured bat that flies away? And who looks after them? The same god who puts random objects in the garden and then removes them without warning?

Baby Jake's family ..... I want a CAF started. That's all I can think when they're drawing on their knees and only eating peas, and filed one child per window in a windmill.

VodkaJelly Sun 10-Aug-14 10:57:06

Why do all childrens cartoons and shows (Fireman Sam) always have a set of twins? I have 4 kids and none of them know any twins!

robertsharp Sun 10-Aug-14 10:48:46

Everyone needs to chill out about ITNG garden. It's clearly a Borgesian dream within a dream within a dream. The kid at the start is dreaming Iggle Piggle on the boat, who is in turn dreaming everyone else. That's why he can't sleep in the garden when everyone else can, and why the scale is weird with the Ninky Nonk. In the film version Iggle Piggle would be played by Leonardo Di Caprio.

The show that winds me up that no-one has mentioned is Bubble Guppies. OK, so everyone is a mer-person, fine. But if you're living under the ocean you can't have campfires, fir trees, or a sun on the horizon. Jeez.

ipswichwitch Sat 09-Aug-14 07:45:04

And yes Waybuloo is irritating. I had no idea they were meant to be doing yoga for ages, cos you can't see what they're doing. All that floating about, I thought they had a go at some magic mushrooms or something!

icanmakeyouicecream Sat 09-Aug-14 07:44:13

Mr Tumble - the whole thing, weird.

ipswichwitch Sat 09-Aug-14 07:42:31

Special Agent Oso is anything but. He's useless - gets sent to help kids with stuff like making a birthday card and hasn't a bloody clue. Has to get help with everything, then it's all "oh thanks Special Agent Oso, you're the best". No he's not he can't even tie his own bloody shoes. Frankly he has no business being a special agent. Pah!

TraceyTrickster Sat 09-Aug-14 02:54:03

we watch MI High....how come all the baddies converge on a single high school.
Why does the school only seem to have one class?

And why does no-one notice that 3 out of the 30 pupils are always disappearing for chunks of the school day.
The truant officer needs to have a word with the spy kids and Ofsted needs to pay a surprise visit to sort that school out.

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Sat 09-Aug-14 00:43:45

I think Mimi in Boj is Boj's step mum (hence he calls her 'Mimi'). My 2yo actually has a bit of a crush on her. He calls her 'mummy Boj' and goes all silly when she's on the screen. Are they meant to be bilbies?

Redcoats Fri 08-Aug-14 23:40:28

Why would you have a school on a cruise liner? Just why? And why are there only 6 students? Is that not a little uneconomical?

And why would you hire some random girl off the street to nanny your children. You know they don't go to school, and just get in trouble all the time and the nanny just stands about swishing her lovely hair.

jocelyn4 Fri 08-Aug-14 23:22:27

Also can't stand Mike, he's sexist and arrogant.

But Waybuloo (or however you spell it, can't be bothered to look it up)... How can anyone see what yoga moves they're doing with such ridiculously tiny limbs compared to their oversized bodies and heads??!! Please tell me is not just me who finds this annoying.

Then the Tweenies... Enough already

LittleMissGiggles1980 Fri 08-Aug-14 19:35:32

Why does Mr Bull hang round the playgroup when he doesn't have any kids? Creepy.

Horopu Fri 08-Aug-14 19:35:00

I can't name a specific book but I've seen/read it more than once somewhere . I really annoys me when it is someone's birthday and everyone pretends to forget so they can give them a surprise party later. So the birthday person spends all day feeling miserable and unloved just so they can have a bit of fun later. Always seems mean to me.

PrueDent Fri 08-Aug-14 18:13:30

Curiousgeorgie I give you chloe pig and Alexander pig.

Why does the clock in Peppa's bedroom always say 7 o'clock?

curiousgeorgie Fri 08-Aug-14 17:19:49

It always bugs me that everyone has alliterative names except for George Pig....

BalloonSlayer Fri 08-Aug-14 17:16:25

The episode of Zou when the grandma zebra was making a big fuss about who was going to help her wash a sheet . . . they were all trying to make excuses . . . there was a washing machine clearly visible in the kitchen! And grandad zebra saying he had travelled and seen lots of wild animals. What like zebras, and that? hmm And of course everyone's name has to begin with a Z because they are all zebras. Well actually that makes perfect sense, I made sure all my children have names beginning with H because they are humans. It's the law.

Everything about Balamory. How anyone reached adulthood being so inherently stupid is beyond me. Miss Hoolie has an appalling memory - she doesn't remember your name from one day to the next, I'm not sure I'd be confident in leaving her to supervise my children. Does she have ANY other nursery workers?
And Archie's inventions are frankly, shit.

As for in the night garden... they can all fuck off. Iggle Piggle is an imbecile and Uspy Daisy is a hooligan. All this seems to be able to teach children is that a) a sense of scale is optional, and b) you only need to be able to repeat your name over and over and over and over again to communicate with people.

ipswichwitch Fri 08-Aug-14 10:03:07

Let her not letter

ipswichwitch Fri 08-Aug-14 10:02:42

Doc's parents seem totally unconcerned that she's spending all day in her clinic playhouse, talking to her toys. They even letter out there at night because she has a "patient" in there to check on.

I have absolutely no idea what the hell Mouk is meant to be about. Even 2yo DS1 looks at it in disbelief!

Mike the Knight had a really annoying face. I had to resist the urge to punch the Mike dolls in the face when I was in Tesco earlier!

curiousgeorgie Fri 08-Aug-14 09:41:36

And aren't Doc's parents getting a bit concerned that she only role plays as a doctor and aren't they aware that they are totally enabling her by building her a clinic?!

curiousgeorgie Fri 08-Aug-14 09:40:25

Mouk drives me crazy. (Apart from the theme tune which is amazing.)

Who are these kids and how are they funding their jaunt across the world on bicycles?! Where are the parents? And how does even the most remote location they visit have perfect wifi and signal when I can't even use my phone in the kitchen?

Totally agree about Doc McStuffins playhouse, it's better than my actual house.

melonribena Fri 08-Aug-14 08:17:04

Everything's rosie is totally baffling.

I don't understand the premise, it's a hodge podge of random characters who live in a random location. It makes no sense and really irritates me!

Curiouslygrumpycola Fri 08-Aug-14 07:40:22

Tv, it's an interesting story isn't it?

Why does Norman never get in proper trouble. 'Sorry Mam' excuses him from everything. Even stealing a fire engine.
Sam is a little too perfect and condescending for my liking. Who do you think would play him in a movie?smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now