Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Share your tips for avoiding insect bites... PLEASE!!!

(42 Posts)

This week so far, I've gained 7 bites on my right arm, 3 on my left, 9 on my back, 4 on left leg and one on my neck! I'm lathered in insect repellant but it's clearly not working sad Ds hasn't been bitten once and we've been to the same places, so I'm obviously just very tasty!

RunningKatie Thu 07-Aug-14 09:52:09

I eat marmite, apparently they don't like vitamin b12.

There's also an Avon body lotion that's supposed to help, a lot of my friends who camp regularly use it.

Ooh is it Skin So Soft? Just remembered I've heard something about that before smile

The two things that are recommended by everyone at the event I attend in the wilds of Scotland (midge country) are eat Marmite and slather yourself in the blue Avon Skin So Soft dry oil body spray. We don't do too badly in terms of bites, so something must be working.

hoboken Thu 07-Aug-14 09:56:45

Skin So Soft did not work for me (Scotland), but Smidge from the outdoor store does.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Thu 07-Aug-14 09:59:07

I use skin so soft and the jungle formula natural stuff as not keen on the chemicals in the regular, hardcore stuff! So far, the bite count is lower than last years with nothing for protection.......

Why am I suddenly tasty to insects this year???

AlpacaLypse Thu 07-Aug-14 09:59:49

Juliet what sort of repellent are you using? I find the only ones that work for me are the ones with DEET in them. More expensive but much more effective.

Nothing helps me, i have yummy blood. Hang around your 'me' equivalent, and the bastards wil go for them instead! grin

TwoInTheMourning Thu 07-Aug-14 10:21:06
Nancy66 Thu 07-Aug-14 10:24:08

a Deet based repellent is the only thing worth trying.

Heels99 Thu 07-Aug-14 10:26:30

You need a repellent with 50% deet, does yours have that? Also cover arms, legs, feet with clothing, wear a hat.

Haahoooo Thu 07-Aug-14 10:34:29

Not helpful perhaps but I tend to just put up with the bites at the start of our summer in mosquito heaven Sweden. I get loads and my body reacts badly to the first ones (huge itchy bumps) but then I seem to build up a bit of resistance to them.

Castlemilk Thu 07-Aug-14 10:38:07

If you can't bear Marmite, take brewers yeast capsules. Apparently b12 makes you taste horrid to them. It does work! Also, skin so soft.

I eat marmite daily, put tea tree on my piercings already and use 50% deet. I promise none of these work for me grin

TheTravellingLemon Thu 07-Aug-14 10:45:05

That's so interesting. I used to have a B12 deficiency and got bitten to shreds all the time. Completely coincidentally, I have been eating marmite on my toast every morning just because I fancied it. I was thinking just yesterday how I've hardly been bitten this summer.

Nancy66 Thu 07-Aug-14 10:46:54

I do think if they go for you then they go for you. I don't get bitten in this country but in tropical places they treat my legs like an all you can eat buffet and nothing works.

If you absolutely know you are going to get bitten then an antihistamine taken daily will help control the reaction to the bite

Thanks for all the replies smile

I've been using Jungle Formula which I think contains DEET, but it's not helping (or maybe it is and I'd have been bitten 3 zillion times without it!). I will try the Avon stuff as I'm sure I've got some somewhere. Have gained another bite this morning, just from walking the dogs sad Little mozzie type thing; I caught it biting me and killed the bugger!

I can't stand Marmite grin Is anything else high is vitamin B12 that I can eat?

Oh just seen pp about brewers yeast tablets - will try that!

Allalonenow Thu 07-Aug-14 11:30:26

Mossies are attracted to beer drinkers, so stick to Pimms or G&T.

YellowStripe Thu 07-Aug-14 11:32:06

Does any find that a new bite re activates the itchiness in old bites? I've got some that keep flaring up.

Viviennemary Thu 07-Aug-14 11:37:55

I've also read taking vitamin B can help. Also somebody told me rubbing the juice of a lemon can help as they don't like citrus. Didn't help me a bit. But avoiding wearing perfume does help. The insects think you're a flower. grin

HoobleDooble Thu 07-Aug-14 11:39:37

Drinking loads of tonic water seemed to help me when my scabby old roaming cats used to bring fleas home, I think it's the quinine in it or something. Buggers your night vision up though!

showtunesgirl Thu 07-Aug-14 13:14:00
SuckingGin Thu 07-Aug-14 13:18:43

Watching with interest for other tips, because I always end up as an all you can eat buffet for bloody mosquitoes.

I can sit outside with DH of an evening, me slathered with repellent, sipping my G&T and breathing my marmite breath around and there he sits with a beer and no repellent on... yet who gets bitten? Me. He actually jokes that I'm his 'repellent', because all the time mozzies have the opportunity to bite me they will pretty much ignore him, but if I go indoors they will start biting him instead. Hmpf.

Why is it that some people are just so much more delicious than others? Its not fair <stamps feet>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now