Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

my 10 & 11 yo siblings are coming to stay, bit nervous, can someone check my plans please?

(32 Posts)
BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 22:24:50

Plans have to include DD (5) and I'm struggling to balance her being able to join in and 10yo boy/girl twins and 11yo not getting bored I've had them stay before but separately.

Day one: they are arriving at 6pm so we are going to make pizzas (which they'll have with wedges and salad) and watch a film then hot chocolate and bed.

Day two: Breakfast then making things, trip to 1 of the local museums then walk along the river and through a nature reserve, have a picnic somewhere along the way then go to the park (it's a bigger children's park with zipwires, assault courses etc rather than swings and see-saws, I will have to help DD on most of it but presumably the others wont need me, will they?) stay there til they get bored then walk back, board games/general pottering round the house, showers, dinner, film and bed.

Day three: Breakfast, trip to the other local museum, lunch, bake cakes then potter round the house til they get picked up at 2

Does that all look ok? or are they going to get bored and drive me mad? Also do 10/11 year olds still like bedtime stories or are they too grown up?

BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 22:25:40

Sorry 11yo is a boy if that makes any difference

missknows Wed 06-Aug-14 22:28:10

Sounds brilliant- can I come?

itsalottery Wed 06-Aug-14 22:29:24

Was just going g to post exactly as missknows did.

Millytint Wed 06-Aug-14 22:30:25

Sounds splendid smile

LeBearPolar Wed 06-Aug-14 22:31:22

What are the museums about? DS is 11 and wouldn't be that fussed about a normal museum (although he'd be polite grin) - he likes science or natural history stuff though. Can you take them swimming or bowling or something like that?

Making pizzas/films/assault course all sounds good. Too grown-up for generic bedtime stories: DS has them still but we are reading a huge series together - he doesn't have one off stories like you're thinking of.

Whilewildeisonmine Wed 06-Aug-14 22:31:34

That sounds great smile

defineme Wed 06-Aug-14 22:31:41

My 9 year old boy girl twins still like a bed time story, but it would be a chapter book-ask if theg can bring one they're reading?
That is a packed schedule, you can let things drop off the end of the list if they are really enjoying themselves at the park or something.

Cheeky76890 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:33:29

What about a bit of footy in the park before bed

Glastogirl Wed 06-Aug-14 22:34:11

Sounds lovely... I want to come too grin

SanityClause Wed 06-Aug-14 22:34:22

My 10yo DS reads a bit, himself, before bed, as did my two teenaged DDs, at that sort of age. If they are having stories read to them, at that age, it will usually be a chapter of a longer book. So, that probably wouldn't work for your weekend.

The plans sound lovely, though. I hope you all have a good time.

GetYourFingersOutOfThere Wed 06-Aug-14 22:35:39

Sounds fab and it's likely the older ones will help your DD in the park so you may get a rest!

Agree swimming is an all round enjoyed event here.

gildedlily Wed 06-Aug-14 22:41:49

Sound great. DS and I will meet you at the museum! Hope you all have a lovely time

BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 22:44:36

missknows, yep, I think I'll need the help tbh grin

LeBear: one is a very general musuem full of odds and ends, but has a military bit, an Egyptian gallery and dinosaurs which i think covers all 3's interests, the other is a carriage museum which I've never visited before. Both are walking distance and free entry so if they get bored it's not cost me anything.

I can't take them swimming as the pool wont let me take that many children on my own even though all 4 can swim better than me, which is stupid imo but the pool staff are very strict on it. I can suggest bowling to them though.

Finola1step Wed 06-Aug-14 22:51:58

Sounds lovely.

TryingToBePractical Wed 06-Aug-14 22:55:50

I would double check the pool rules - ours allows over 8s without any adult.

MirandaWest Wed 06-Aug-14 23:03:43

My 10 year old still likes having a story at bedtime - sometimes a chapter from a longer book and sometimes something from a fact book such as Guinness book of records etc.

Both he and 8 year old DD go along with most museum trips happily. Id say you have plenty planned which is better than not having enough planned - be prepared for some things to not happen.

MirandaWest Wed 06-Aug-14 23:05:02

Our swimming pool also lets 8 year olds and up in by themselves.

BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 23:10:11

Ours says primary school children need 1 adult to 2 children, I've tried before. sad

manechanger Wed 06-Aug-14 23:17:21

kids am is also a good bet if you can't do some of the things you mentioned. really depends on their personalities but my kids are 11,9,5 and 2 and we can do parks really easily with that age gap. My older two like the odd book read to them but mainly love reading to themselves (maybe a library trip to choose a book if they haven't brought with them). They like loom bands (all 3 older ones, youngest eats them). all older 3 love drawing - ream of paper and pens are a really good bet but my older two are girls so not sure that would work with all the boys i've met.

All three also love making camps in garden, need sheets cushions drying rack or swing frame to hang tent out of plus a picnic. Or you can get a really cheap tent from tesco. Most 11 y o boys i've met need a good run around so getting out each day will be really good. I would keep to your plan but think of some alternatives to keep up your sleeve just in case they aren't in the mood or you find first museum day isn't their thing.

Just suggesting loads of different things as your post makes it sound like you aren't that familiar with them all - sorry if got that wrong.

BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 23:29:30

Thanks manechanger, I've got stacks of paper and pens and stuff laying round and the library is nearby so have noted the ideas down just in case. no garden unfortunately but we could turn the dining table into a fort.

You're kind of right, we spend lots of time together but at mum's where its not me responsible for them or planning stuff.

GetYourFingersOutOfThere Wed 06-Aug-14 23:35:03

In regards to swimming, I give the eldest two the money to get in without an adult and then follow with my youngest.

I have 3 DC 6, 10 & 13. Eldest two go in on their own and then I follow, eldest two also swim with friends without an adult during the week.

Have fun.

TheFirstOfHerName Wed 06-Aug-14 23:37:43

I have ten year old b/g twins. That sounds like their ideal weekend.

TheFirstOfHerName Wed 06-Aug-14 23:39:26

The only thing missing is loom bands, but if they're into those then they'll bring their own.

BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 23:46:57

ooh, I actually have loom bands, I didn't think the boys would be interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now