Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Buggy for a largish lazy lump

(30 Posts)
Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:11:02

We are going to Disneyland Paris in September. DD will be nearly 4, but is about the average size of girls a year older. She isn't great at walking far. I tend to make her walk, but DH ends up carrying her. I'd like to get a cheapish buggy to take with us as I think that realistically we are going to struggle with getting her to walk the necessary distances and I don't want our holiday to end up one massive argument. We don't have a buggy at home any more.

Can anyone recommend a buggy that might suit us?

Also DH is pretty tall, which can be an issue with buggies. It won't be a complete waste as we are having another baby (though we have a travel system for the early months). I did quite fancy a Baby Jogger for the new baby as I found the travel system a bit cumbersome.

HavanaSlife Wed 06-Aug-14 22:15:31

If she's quite heavy I'd go for something that's good off road/mountain buggy etc

We have a Phil and ted explorer for the very big 3 years old who weighs about 3stone 4, he fits in the cossatto yo we have but it's difficult to push due to his weight.

treesntrees Wed 06-Aug-14 22:19:03

A maclaran major might fit the bill as it is made for older children but is an umbrella fold with larger wheels

Baby jogger! Or Chicco liteway

Imperial Wed 06-Aug-14 22:27:35

Cheap second hand 3 wheeler - you need air tyres for a heavy child and they usually have a decent shopping basket underneath for all your stuff

Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:28:15

Ouch - they're £300 each. Thanks for the suggestions.

Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:30:03

Sorry - x post. We might go and look at a Baby Jogger "for the baby" and see if she fits. The Chicco Liteway is more like our price range. I'll have a look on ebay locally too.

HeySoulSister Wed 06-Aug-14 22:32:25

Does she have a Disibility? Maybe Disney hire them?

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Aug-14 22:34:00

Whereabouts are you? Does anyone have a buggy you can borrow?

Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:35:15

No, she is just lazy. Obviously she walks places at home (or scoots) but we are expecting to cover quite a few miles every day and she gets really grumpy when tired. Disney do hire them, but at 12 Euro per day, we might as well buy something that the baby can use too.

RedSoloCup Wed 06-Aug-14 22:36:55

my zia star would take a 5yo I think, we've banned our 3.5yo from using it but don't do that much walking to be fair smile

HeySoulSister Wed 06-Aug-14 22:37:26

Well there's time to get her moving and fitter... Weeks ahead that you could use to get her used to walking

A Maclaren Major Buggy would be the best, size wise .. they are for special needs but are basically just bigger umbrella fold buggies. My son used his aged 3-7 as he has low muscle tone but was very tall.

Not sure where you are.. if you are anywhere near oxfordshire I have an old one in the garage you could use?

Pishedorf Wed 06-Aug-14 22:40:37

The title of this thread is horrible.

LEMmingaround Wed 06-Aug-14 22:42:25

Lovely way to describe your dd!

Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:43:15

Sorry - I didn't mean to give the impression that she is sedentary. She is perfectly active, runs about etc. We just don't have long walks built into our lives due to time constraints. And when I say large, she is just very tall for her age, not fat (50th centile BMI).

HeySoulSister Wed 06-Aug-14 22:44:32

So she's tall then....NOT a 'largish lump'? Tall people aren't large

NickiFury Wed 06-Aug-14 22:44:57

You can hire a buggy at the park I think, you can in Florida anyway. Much older kids than four in them as well, in fact had I been able to fit there's every chance I might have taken a few minutes respite. Very tiring walking round Disney.

Fairylea Wed 06-Aug-14 22:45:12

I'm sure you meant the title affectionately smile

I have a similar dc... I bought an out n about nipper 360 from eBay for £70 secondhand. Super light and very easy to push and folds up surprisingly small. I absolutely love it. They are expensive new (£300 ish) but you may be lucky like us for a second hand one.

Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:46:46

When she wants to be carried, she certainly feels like a large lump and being pregnant, I am certainly not lugging her about. Perhaps it was the alliteration that made me phrase it like that.

Rainicorn Wed 06-Aug-14 22:47:22

You can hire buggies at the park. We hired one when we went a couple of years ago and they are massive. I was pushing 3 children on it at one point. They are very well built, you can hand things on them as well and my DC used it to stand on to see the parade. I was even able to sit in it it was big enough. They're cheap to rent as well, iirc it was only 15 euros for the 3 days we were there.

Pico2 Wed 06-Aug-14 22:47:59

Definitely affectionately - I hope like many parents, I don't think anyone could love a child as much as we love DD.

Sootball Wed 06-Aug-14 22:48:13

Mountain buggy -my very tall four year old disabled before anyone judges me loves hers.

Rainicorn Wed 06-Aug-14 22:48:51

Ah, just reread that you don't want to hire.

Try a micralite stroller, they are great for bigger children and quite compact, fold easily etc.

Rainicorn Wed 06-Aug-14 22:52:01

Quite a few here. The ones with the black frames are the newer, better model. I've used them with all three of my DC and it is my favourite stroller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now