Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm in the worst fucking mood ever!!!

(55 Posts)
Letthemtalk Wed 06-Aug-14 17:23:10

Ffs!!!

Realised yesterday that dd2s closed in shoes no longer fit, and given that summer seems to have ended here she can't wear her sandals every day any more. So headed off in the pouring rain to get shoes. First shop only had converse/vans type things, which she declares are stinky and refuses to look at.

Next shop has trainers like her sisters, but they're no good because they have Velcro and she's decided she doesn't like Velcro any more.

Go into next, try on about 5 pairs, none of which fit and she decides she wants flip flops.....

Next sport shop she finds a pair she likes, seem to fit OK, but she then declares they are too big and hurt her. Coffee break and then head to local independent shoe shop.

So, find a pair which fit and which she says she likes, but doesn't want to wear home. £50

I've just asked her to put on her new trainers to show her dad and she says that she doesn't like them and they hurt her toes.

I fucking give up. Her father can take her for shoes at the weekend and she can go in puddles in her bare feet for all I care tomorrow...

Thiscantbetrue Wed 06-Aug-14 17:33:09

How old is she ?

I'd take the £50 ones back n pick her some up from sports Direct & not give her a choice tbh unless they genuinely do hurt or if she is youngish get some Velcro ones from Next

Letthemtalk Wed 06-Aug-14 17:37:34

She's 4. The next ones didn't fit at all, the sports direct ones had stupid light up things on the toes, so it was very difficult to work out whether they were too small or not. Think I'll send dp to sit for hours in Clark's on Saturday with the hundreds of kids getting school shoes...

I need a drink. No I need 5 minutes peace. Just 5 minutes.

Thiscantbetrue Wed 06-Aug-14 17:39:15

I agree with the Sports Direct but my Ds went through a phase of trashing his shoes , I got him some lovely canvas ones from next for £14

Letthemtalk Wed 06-Aug-14 17:41:13

If any of the next ones had fitted I would have bought them...

Thiscantbetrue Wed 06-Aug-14 17:52:00

Ah right that's a shame , do you have a Clarke's outlet ?

grocklebox Wed 06-Aug-14 17:53:35

She's 4? Then buy whatever shoes you want and put them on her feet!

Timeforabiscuit Wed 06-Aug-14 17:53:48

Supermarket!

At this age I would have paid someone to do this for me - I ended up saying here is a shoe aisle FGS just pick a pair.

Willyoulistentome Wed 06-Aug-14 18:02:20

4???
Just buy the ones YOU like.

threepiecesuite Wed 06-Aug-14 18:42:43

My 4 yo dd doesn't have much of a say in what shoes I buy her! Her only stipulation is that toe -posts hurt, but I'm with her on that one.

Patrickstarisabadbellend Wed 06-Aug-14 18:44:31

My kids wear what I day or they go bare foot.

RedSoloCup Wed 06-Aug-14 18:50:03

When I read your post I thought she was 14 or something, even my 8yo will get a pair or shoes and like them or lump them, crocs under a tenner on ebay and great for everyday!!

AuditAngel Wed 06-Aug-14 18:51:14

I have to go and buy school shoes at the weekend sad

DS's school shoes lasted all year and are worn out. He has wide feet and high instep (like me) so hard to fit. DD1 had new shoes at Christmas and again at Easter, hopefully she doesn't need new ones.

DD2's Clark's are too small, but she has a pair of start rite that still fitted a month ago.

It will be both miserable and I suspect, expensive too.

Did you get her feet measured? Could you order online?

Guitargirl Wed 06-Aug-14 18:53:31

Your daughter is 4 years old. You do not need to turn buying a pair of shoes for a 4 year old into such a drama.

Don't give her so much choice at flippin 4 years old!
First shoe shop you get to: "right DD, do you want these ones or these ones?". If she says neither, that's not an option.

wouldyoujustlayhere Wed 06-Aug-14 18:57:36

You tell her what she is wearing, not the other way round.

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 06-Aug-14 18:59:58

Crocs! Perfect for summer rain.

No point in buying shoes in summer. All closed shoes feel uncomfortable after sandals, trainers are hot even on cool summer days.

Have the battle once for school shoes and trainers later in the winter are easy, DC want warm feet and something that's not their school (nursery) shoes.

ellenjames Wed 06-Aug-14 19:00:27

4!!!! At 14 this behaviour I would expect not 4!! More fool you for letting her behave like that!!

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 06-Aug-14 19:06:33

Shoes you have to give choice, only the child can tell if they are comfortable. If they are not they will kick them off in the back of the car, they will leave them under the trampoline in the rain or they will simply refuse to put them on.

It would of needed child abuse levels of force to get uncomfortable shoes onto DD1. Shoes are the one and only thing she is really awkward about, she's 16 and school shoe shopping will still be stressful even with the much more relaxed six form rules.

Mandy2003 Wed 06-Aug-14 19:10:48

Crocs OP? If it rains they soon dry out grin

Guitargirl Wed 06-Aug-14 19:11:50

I am kind of hoping that when my DCs are 16, I won't need to be school shoe shopping anymore! Give them the cash and let them go themselves?

GingerRodgers Wed 06-Aug-14 19:12:45

She's 4 and you bought her a £50 pair?! shock
I wouldn't spend that much on ones for myself.

somewheresomehow Wed 06-Aug-14 19:15:36

Who's the parent here. She is four you are making a rod for your own back if you let her rule the roost on stuff like this

At 4 I took DC to world of wyson loads of different styles then wittle down to three pairs place shoes in front of them then choose one it was only when they got to high school it became a stressful time but even then they did the
'3 pairs choose one' my parents did this we me but it was choose just the colour blue black brown

Letthemtalk Wed 06-Aug-14 19:48:24

You aren't exactly helping my bad mood here!

1. Yes I let her choose shoes which a) she likes and b) more importantly fit her. Didn't realise that this made me a bad parent. I let her rule the roost on things like this because in the grand scheme of things they're not important. On important things I am in charge, and she knows it.

Of she doesn't like them we'll have hassle every day getting her to wear them, is rather find a pair she likes, which she wants to wear.

If she says they hurt what do you suggest I do? Let her wear them anyway? If she wears them outside I can't bring them back.

The only place where she refused to try any on was the first place, every other pair of bloody shoes she tried on didn't fit.

I am cross not so much with her but with the fact that all shops are so full of school shoes it's difficult to get ordinary ones.

A rod for my own back? Rubbish.

And if rather pay £50 on a pair that fit, that she'll wear and that will last than pay for a cheap pair which damage her feet and fall apart in a fortnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now