Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Suitable punishment for 4 year old who threw a plastic chair at other child?

(26 Posts)
Snappyteabread Wed 06-Aug-14 16:27:20

Not on purpose but as a result of being boisterous and everyone larking around and things getting out of hand. Not throwing it to be bad but over excited and hit the other child on head. Not sure what correct punishment should have been. Will tell you later what I did, but want to know how you would have handled....

FunLovinBunster Wed 06-Aug-14 16:29:19

Time out on naughty step.
Or being taken home if you were out at the time.

HaroldLloyd Wed 06-Aug-14 16:29:20

I would have taken them out if the situation for a calm down and a chat after saying sorry to the wounded party.

Unsure of the event but likelihood is that we would probably have gone home as it would indicate to me child gone over top.

RahRahRasputin Wed 06-Aug-14 16:41:15

Well, I don't have children myself but plenty of experience of looking after (and disciplining!) other people's.

How on earth can anyone throw a chair by accident?! I assume it was a small child sized one but even so, why had the child picked the chair up in the first place? I would come down hard on any child in my care who did this. To me, this is beyond normal boisterous behaviour and is quite dangerous, not to mention the possible damage to the chair and surroundings. Plastic chairs often have sharp corners and given that it hit the other child's head, it could have caused serious injury (I'm assuming the other child was OK?)

I would have spoken sternly to them, down at their level, without raising my voice, and explained why their behaviour was wrong. Then I would have removed them from the situation - if out then I would've taken them home, otherwise I would've made them sit out.

PolterGoose Wed 06-Aug-14 17:03:05

I wouldn't punish for over excited behaviour like that, but I might kick myself in the backside for not supervising properly and averting the accident.

Kimaroo Wed 06-Aug-14 17:11:49

For the future (providing they didn't know already) they need to know that throwing any item that could hurt another individual is not acceptable, over excitement or not.

Glasshammer Wed 06-Aug-14 17:20:43

I would have made the child sit down to calm down, then asked him to apologise to the hurt child.

ouryve Wed 06-Aug-14 17:22:48

Taken home, if out and about.

Sitting out the activity if at home or going home from "out" wasn't feasible.

Glasshammer Wed 06-Aug-14 17:24:16

Throwing a chair is not a normal thing for a child to do - even for an over excited child aged 4. 4 is old enough to know better and why

hollie84 Wed 06-Aug-14 17:32:28

Time out, telling off, apologise to injured party.

If they'd already been warned about the behaviour then taken home, or sitting out the rest of the party if not possible.

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 06-Aug-14 17:33:03

Depends on who it was. My two would have got shouted at (I don't do calm reasonable mummy) then taken to a quiet corner and asked to explain why they did anything so daft.

DD1 would either have been being totally impulsively silly and would apologise or retaliating after behind goaded a great deal. She was the sort if child who attracted a lot of stupid behaviour, just for existing.

DD2, probably wouldn't explain or say sorry she just losses all sense of proportion and won't admit she's wrong. She would just get taken home/sent to her room.

Much later you might sort out why and decide on a punishment.

EatShitDerek Wed 06-Aug-14 17:35:01

Throw a chair at him

InternetFOREVER Wed 06-Aug-14 17:38:23

Throw a chair at him

grin

Purpleflamingos Wed 06-Aug-14 17:39:52

Take them out of the situation and explain why we can't throw and/or hurt people. Then ask them if they understand. Taking them out of the situation allows for a bit of calming down too. If they understood we would go back out to say sorry.

Panzee Wed 06-Aug-14 17:41:07

A talking to. If he was suitably contrite and calmer then nothing else. If he was annoyed or overwrought etc then we'd go.

Dontgotosleep Wed 06-Aug-14 18:21:33

I don't think you should punish him if it were an accident. I'd just sit him/her explain about playing nicely and gently.
Things happen children are children and they do get boisterious. I mean if threw the chair maliciously then that would be different, but I don't believe in punishing children for accidents. I don't think the naughty step is neccasery Fun Loving. The child wasn't being bad just over exited.

chopinbabe Wed 06-Aug-14 18:46:19

A talking to but I would be very careful to let him know that he wasn't in trouble but rather I was telling him why it was wrong as it could damage people or property. I would probably give him a hug at the end of the talk just to reinforce the message.

He was probably frightened when he threw it and, if so, that is punishment enough.

borisgudanov Wed 06-Aug-14 18:53:53

Straight home
Serious bollocking
Full report to Mummy
Favourite toy confiscated

HaroldLloyd Wed 06-Aug-14 23:08:29

What did you do OP. 12 years hard labour?

Cheeky76890 Wed 06-Aug-14 23:19:06

Op is this what you expected?

OorWullie Wed 06-Aug-14 23:26:05

I would have taken DS away, into another room or outside, waited till he had calmed himself down and explained why throwing the chair was dangerous and unacceptable. I'd have taken him back in and got him to apologise to the child on the receiving end, and given a stern warning that if there was any more behaviour like that, we would be going home.

If it genuinely wasn't intentional and was a case of getting seriously over excited.

If he had done it for badness or to purposely hurt someone he would have been taken straight home after apologising and wouldn't be allowed things like tablet or outside with his friends.

softlysoftly Wed 06-Aug-14 23:34:04

DD1 aged 4 - Taken out of the situation, a serious talking to about just how bad it was. Apology to the other child, then sitting out of the play a while until she calmed down. - But then she wouldn't throw a chair.

DD2 aged 2 - Taken out of the situation, a serious talking to about just how bad it was followed by abject refusal to apologise, screaming, being dragged home in the rugby hold by a red faced mummy trailing platitudes to other judgemental parents.

Finalised by having to hold her to stop her hyperventilating with the sheer UNFAIRNESS of it all and around 3 hours later a small "I stop crying mama, I sorry" and a large proud of herself smile.

DD3 only 4 weeks old so we'll see grin

306235388 Wed 06-Aug-14 23:54:25

Dd isn't quite 4 yet but for her now or when Ds was little it would depend a lot on whether I'd already told them to calm down and done something to aid that. If so and they'd not tried and this hAd happened id make them sit with me until they calmed down and then go and apologise.
If they didn't calm down or had a tantrum I'd take them home and talk to them once peace was restored.
If I hadn't already warned them I'd have a word and get them to sit and calm down for a while and apologise to child, check they're ok etc

306235388 Wed 06-Aug-14 23:57:24

softly your dd2 is my dd's personality twin! Let's hope they never meet! The world isn't reAdy.

softlysoftly Thu 07-Aug-14 00:10:41

Let's hope they grow up to use their powers for good not evil grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now