Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

OK, so I'm a nosy neighbour.

(22 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Wed 06-Aug-14 00:00:52

And I've just spent 20 minutes looking in the kitchen window of a young couple who live two streets away (the lights were on and I could see from my bedroom window).

He was cooking and getting drinks. And dancing. Two young (early 20s) women entered, they all had a chat and a bit of a dance then 1 woman left. The young couple had a dance/chat/laugh and then they kissed and she left the kitchen. He went back to his cooking and dancing.grin

It was a beautiful scene: the hope, the love, the confidence, the youth, the happiness, the sense of freedom and accomplishment, the hope. I remember that feeling. And I felt a bit sad that I can never feel that again.sad

I am getting old.

Patrickstarisabadbellend Wed 06-Aug-14 00:02:26

I've never had that sad and I'm a nosy neighbour too grin

SpeedofSound0 Wed 06-Aug-14 00:08:48

You old perv. grin

What would you have done if things had been a bit more er, physical?

Watched while they played hide the sausage, or closed the curtains and moved to another room, quickly?

I used to sit up in my windowsill in the kitchen to my flat after exp left, I would star watch and just relax and think.

Until new people moved in upstairs, next door. As soon as it got dark they would no nothing but shag loudly in their garden.

I was miffed at having to change my window to avoid feeling like a creepy, perv! grin

BridgettRousselot Wed 06-Aug-14 00:13:17

I know what you mean about the loss of the hope and innocence that the world is good and all is well, when you loose that you really are getting old, when you see the world and the people in it for what they are.

What a lovely scene OP!

By the way, stop being a nosey neighbour, I can't stand people doing that!

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 06-Aug-14 00:20:55

Speed, I stopped looking when he was dishing up (and dancing). I would find it too intimate to watch people eating. <<projection emoticon>>

Had they DTD, I might have watched to the end. And maybe, even, timed.grin.

And now I am feeling even more sad that the regularity of kitchen sex is decreasing in my life.sad

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 06-Aug-14 00:23:40

Bridgett, I cannot stop being a nosy neighbour. My neighbors are just too entertaining. What is it that you don't like about NNs?

BridgettRousselot Wed 06-Aug-14 00:27:37

I don't like them judging me on snippets of my life and gossiping about me, filling in the blanks. That has been done to me, got back to me and I have known it done to others. It is a horrible way to behave. I am sure you just share on NM and not with anyone in rl OP, please say you don't.

Notcontent Wed 06-Aug-14 00:28:52

I know what you mean.
I sometimes feel that when I see people in their 20s. I am not that old actually but that stage of my life is over.

SpeedofSound0 Wed 06-Aug-14 00:37:01

I know what you mean though OP, joking aside.

When I used to commute to and from uni/ work by train, it would halt at a junction and you could see into the houses near the railway embankment.

I would watch people and think, I wonder what their lives are like, what they want out of life? I was only in my early 20s then, it was only ten years ago or so and I don't think it necessarily is an age thing.

I have always been a bit of a dreamer though, human nature fascinates me.

But no, I couldn't watch anybody DTD, it is far too intimate. And I would be horrified if anybody was watching me and my OH.

Not that they could, our property is detached and near the Peaks.

missingmumxox Wed 06-Aug-14 01:23:05

I love people watching, I remember sitting in our local one night about a year after I got married, me and Dh where engrosed in a conversation, the land lord came up, and said I watch you every Friday and you always talk, please don't stop talking, years later we can go hours in the evening not talking, but then we do, for hours.

I rembember being a bit shocked by this then looking round the room at couples not talking, just sipping drinks.

one night me and Dh trying to light a fire in our first very cold home, laughing as we held paper up at the fire place to create a updraft, DFIL said "treasure these moments they are fleeting"

I love the first hopeful moments of coupledom, My Dcousin is 27 and just moved in with her lovely Boyfriend, the banter as they get used to each other is priceless, her brother at 20 a new Dad, gone is his monoslabic cousin who avoids contact and has a perminant scawl, he smiles, he talks, he is being Dad.

I take pleasure in it, it is priceless.

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 06-Aug-14 01:28:02

Bridgett, I don't judge (badly) and I certainly don't gossip.shock

I've only been living here for 6 years. No one would listen to me. I'm a Blow In.grin

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 06-Aug-14 01:46:21

Sometimes I wish I could have that level of stupidity confidence and optimism again.

Staywithme Wed 06-Aug-14 06:58:22

I'm a people watcher too. blush I don't mean in the stretch over the fence, noisy neighbour way, not that you're doing that OP. DH & I often go out for coffee and watch the world go by. You notice that many couple just eat but don't communicate. It's so sad that all that hope and optimism has gone. However, I think you can tell the difference between a couple that have nothing left to say and a couple that are content just to be in each others company. Sometimes we just sit and watch and occasionally glance at each other and smile or have a wee chat then go back to being nosey watching people. It's lovely.

I love people watching, sitting outside at a cafe or bar watching the world go by is one of life's small pleasures.

At Christmas time I love walking home and nosing at the decorations in people's front rooms, the twinkly lights and trees are so magical.

disclaimer: I don't press my face up to the window, their curtains are left open.wink

MrsExtraOrdinary Wed 06-Aug-14 07:22:47

I remember very vividly as a single mum of 4dc watching across the street my neighbours house, the first night she'd come home from hospital following the birth of their son. I couldn't really see her, she must have been in the back of the house having just had a caesarean. But I did see her husband bomb around the kitchen trying to prepare what looked like bottles. Trying to fathom a steriliser. Then about half an hour later he was upstairs with their son in the nursery changing nappies, desperately hunting for baby things. I watched him walk around holding his newborn for what felt like ages.

I was on my own, recently divorced and felt I'd never have that support again. It was happiness for them tinged with tremendous sadness. I was wrong though. It's never the end of the story.

Staywithme Wed 06-Aug-14 07:26:34

Oh yes still I love looking at Xmas decorations and secretly judging their taste

Oh im dead nosy. I love it when im in the car (passenger, not driving) around about the time it'z just starting to get dark. People have their lights on but haven't close their curtains yet.

You get a lovely insight to peoples lives and their tastes.

I also people watch when at work.

'it'z'?? apparently im gansta ferret today...

eatscakefornoreasonwhatsoever Wed 06-Aug-14 07:49:11

Me and my mum used to go for lovely twilight walks and look through people's windows when they had their lights on but hadn't yet closed their curtains. It was like a little tableau - a fleeting glimpse of another's life.

Angelto5 Wed 06-Aug-14 07:56:14

I'm a bit of a nosy neighbour (or neighbourhood watch as I prefer to call it) & it drives my dh mad.
It's the whole reason why our living room is in the back of our house otherwise I'd be sat in the front window all day long! smile

PinkSquash Wed 06-Aug-14 08:04:24

I love seeing the glimpses of peoples lives, I love running/walking at dusk, to see how people live.

I don't think I ever had the optimism and confidence of youth though, sadly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now