Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can we have another "annoying things our ILs/parents say or do" thread?

(65 Posts)
IsChippyMintonExDirectory Tue 05-Aug-14 23:24:23

Spoke to mum today on the phone and she was eating. I asked what and she said Kinder Bueno. Except in an Italian accent - Keen-dair boo-ain-oh". She's married to an Italian and therefore thinks she's Italian by association (also pronounces spaghetti ""spah-gay-tay"). Then when I ask her (nicely of course) why she's saying it like that she has "no idea what I mean" grin

My MIL, who is also usually awesome has her thicko moments sometimes. We once lent her £500 for 'bills' (after a nasty break up meant moving home with barely more than the clothes on her back). She paid her remaining council tax with it in one lump sum. She was paying £100 monthly like most people before she paid it off. She then paid is £100 per month back to us for her loan. We tried to explain that she may as well have just carried on paying her council tax monthly and not bothered borrowing, or use the money for something else, but she'd "rather be in debt to us than the council" hmm

Please entertain me with your annoying/weird parental stories!

BlackeyedSusan Tue 05-Aug-14 23:30:42

I do mums shopping and cooking when I stay. she lives on her own, has meals to heat up in the freezer, has a freezer full of food, has a big cupboard full of food, yet everytime thinks I have left her with nothing to eat as I have cleared the fridge out of my stuff. she cries. I get cross as I have spent several hours dragging a child with ASD round the supermarket and batch cooking.

Billynomates71 Tue 05-Aug-14 23:37:53

My dm is getting vet dotty and keeps calling my dd by my name and vice versa. Not really a problem, but I never know whether to just let it go or correct her.

My pil are planning to take dsd away for a few days in August. They take her to their holiday home on the coast every summer. Thing is they have never invited dh (their son) or me, or their other dgc (x3). This year the planned trip occurs over my ds's birthday (their dgs) which means neither his ds or the dgp will be there for his birthday. When I commented that this was a bit off, the response was that they just probably didn't realise it was his birthday. WHAAAAAT? What kind of dgp don't know when their dgc's birthdays are? Ffs. Should I be posting this in AIBU?

squirrel996 Tue 05-Aug-14 23:48:37

My mother much to my embarrassment actually started making a fuss of a guide dog in a shop and started following them around trying to stroke the dog and talking in that stupid voice that people do when they talk to animals. Then she said for the millionth time that it's a labrador just like her dog (like I didn't know what sort of dog she has!)
She also does this fake posh voice that actually makes her sound like she's pissed.

grin at kinder bueno.

squirrel996 Wed 06-Aug-14 00:19:56

I knew someone who called them kinder bureau! We call them that every time now smile

kentishgirl Wed 06-Aug-14 14:04:37

Lovely people but sport obsessed. Sport on TV most of the time you are there. And they play golf every Sunday, even if it's in the middle of having visitors, so you are left to entertain yourself. They are retired. They could play golf any day.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 06-Aug-14 14:16:18

My DF has a second home on the south coast, only ten minutes away from us. His main home is 5 hours drive away, up north. He regularly spends weekends in his holiday home without telling me. I wouldn't mind - his holiday home, his time, his choice - but his grandchildren adore him and would love it if he popped in more often, even if it was just for five minutes. He pretty much has to drive right past us anyway.

It just makes me sad. We have a good relationship, he's just become a bit of a loner since DM died.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 06-Aug-14 14:21:53

DFil is seriously irritating. If he asks me a question and doesn't like my answer or it's not what he's expecting (which is most of the time), he makes a snorting noise and asks dh the same question, sometimes immediately afterwards and while I'm still standing there. He'll get the same answer, and accept it from dh without question (or snort).

Mum happily admitted to me yesterday that she likes Nigel Farage and would vote for him if he was her MP. I told her I would disown her if she announced that nugget of information to anyone I know...

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 06-Aug-14 14:31:37

Billy - my father called me by all my siblings names all my life (I'm the youngest). He lists them until he reaches mine. I still answer to Peter.

ToriaPumpkin Wed 06-Aug-14 14:35:32

My MIL does that Rhubarb, drives me batshit.

She babysits for us once a week (her suggestion, we don't need her to as I'm a SAHM by she wants to see him regularly so she does and it gives me time alone with DC2) As such she's the expert on his routines, quirks and foibles. So much so that when we're there and put him to bed or down for a nap she tells us what to do/what blanket he needs etc etc. She does this with lots of things but bedtime is the main one. I laughed uproariously the other day when she ignored my advice (currently potty training) as she knows best and he chose her bedroom floor to poo on during a game of hide and seek...

CornChips Wed 06-Aug-14 14:37:19

My DM has a posh telephone voice. DF and I joke she is just like Hyacinth Bucket (she is actually). Thankfully she has never heard us.....

CornChips Wed 06-Aug-14 14:39:50

Also, later this year DH and I are hosting a fancy birthday dinner for about 20 at a fairly posh restaurant. It's a big deal as it is pretty special (and expensive) and we have been saving for it for quite some time. DM keeps saying what a shame it is that DS (aged 4) is not coming...... that he will think we don't really love him. He won't think that unless you keep banging on about it, Mother.

HemlockStarglimmer Wed 06-Aug-14 14:49:52

Both sets of parents - will do a huge grocery shop and there is nowhere to put anything away. Due to being brought up with rationing I assume but maddening when you're trying to cram more veg in the fridge or tins in the cupboard.

PrincessOfChina Wed 06-Aug-14 14:51:20

My PIL insist on going everywhere at the weekend. Busy shopping centres, supermarkets, long distance road journeys, anywhere. Always the weekend.

They're retired. They can go any bloody day!

They also frequently go on holiday over the bank holiday weekends, which must cost them a fortune.

Wineandcakes Wed 06-Aug-14 15:03:09

Billy my mil knows the dates of her nieces' children's birthdays but not our dc. She doesn't even think it's a problem. Apparently it's because we don't live as close by.

Ok....

DM gets names confused. I've spent years being called my aunts name but now she has taken to calling my daughter by the cats name. And it's not like the cat is called a real name. Poor creature is called 'C-for' as in c for cat. That's bad enough but she uses it for my DD. confused

MIL is pretty toxic but I mostly laugh at her nowadays. Her latest gripe is that DP doesn't go out as much as he used to when he lived with her. So hold the front page '40 year old father parties less than he did at 20 - shocker!'

Bizarre.

The really annoying thing is PIL move in with is when they are in the UK. Weeks and months at a time. And they make themselves at home ie reorganise the kitchen to suit them. Put stuff they bought (that I have hidden put somewhere unobtrusive) in really prominent positions, moving whatever was there out of the way....

Then they leave and the spare room still has bags and boxes and their duvet etc cluttering it up like a junk room until DP finds homes for it all. Which of course they are grumpy about when they come back as it isn't all readily accessible. Because it is my guest bedroom, not THEIR room. Grrr.

BramwellBrown Wed 06-Aug-14 15:26:01

My MIL has this ridiculous high pitch voice where she over enunciates each sound and uses unnecessarily formal words which she saves specially for me because she's decided I'm posh.

Onesleeptillwembley - My Dad calls me by all my siblings names too, I'm the oldest girl, I also answer to Peter, or sometimes 'girl-child'.

tuckingfablet Wed 06-Aug-14 15:27:43

pil start most sentences with can I just say... it makes me want to strangle them. They're amazing and I love them though. I can't spend more than 3 days in their company before I have to go home though haha

You4coffee Wed 06-Aug-14 15:31:16

tucking ³ days? I can't last more than 3 hours before I'm begging to go home!

You4coffee Wed 06-Aug-14 15:33:42

pil wouldn't let me be in a "family" photo because dp and I aren't married... doesn't matter that we ve Been together years and have 2 children. makes me feel sad. I need to sort it before Bambinos get big enough to understand. makes me feel sad.

lanbro Wed 06-Aug-14 15:38:05

DM is awesome, the best mother ever, but she worries about everything! Asked me recently if I had a tv licence- I'm married with 2 kids and have owned my own home for 10 years! Not sure what she was thinking!

CheerfulYank Wed 06-Aug-14 15:50:47

My mother. "I don't know why you take a nap every day." I close my eyes and doze for about 20 mins most days while DD is napping and DS is watching TV or at school. This is unforgivable to her and she brings it up as often as humanly possible. She has insomnia and only sleeps for snatches at a time, you think she'd be happy for me and my ability to fall asleep at will. grin

When we were contemplating the name Alexander for DC2 (who turned out to be a girl), she was shocked that we planned to use Alec as a nickname instead of Alex. "But Alec isn't a nickname for Alexander!" "Sure it is, Mom. Alec Baldwin is really Alexander." "Well, I hate him. He doesn't count." confused

Also she will ask me if I like something and the conversation will go like this:

Her: I sent you a link...it's a little bird mirror I saw on etsy. I think it would look adorable in DD's room, what do you think?

Me: <looks> Oh, adorable! Yes that'd be very cute.

Her: So do you like it? Should I get it?

Me: Sure, it would look nice.

Her: But what do you think?

I just want to end up screaming BUY IT OR DONT BUY IT FOR FFS!

MIL is ace, OTOH. smile Though she does compare the cousins (my DC and my nieces and nephew) a lot. In all honesty she usually holds my DC upnas the example, but that's a very uncomfortable position to be in too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now