Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bastard pensioner ignoring arses

(59 Posts)
Vacillating Tue 05-Aug-14 22:22:05

My mother, 70+ and doddery with a few health problems tripped in town and went down heavily. She has hurt herself.

She finds getting up from lying down only just possible when in bed and with a help from pillows and well placed furniture so how she got herself up from the floor after landing heavily I don't know. But I know she did because no bastard helped her up or more appropriately kept her still and called an ambulancesad people walked past her, practically over her and no one did a thing. I am so mad, so sad hearing how she feels more vulnerable now ( it isn't even the first time it has happened).

Yeah I know about the bystander effect but honest to fucking god my ancient wobbly mother in her best coat and sensible shoes scrabbling on the floor trying not to cry.

Arrgh!

Aww poor woman. sad I hope she's alright.

cakesonatrain Tue 05-Aug-14 22:46:27

Bastards the lot of em. How would they feel if it was their mum?

Hope she's ok.

Fluffyears Tue 05-Aug-14 22:55:15

Aw is she ok? I am always amazed that I see a pensioner fall I'll dash over and help them and everyone just walks on....what is wrong with people?? I have even called an ambulance and a lady's daughter after she fell up some steps and not one other bugger stopped. She was a lovely old thing.

Vacillating Tue 05-Aug-14 22:56:29

I know what is up with them?!?!? But thanks she will be ok though she is bashed up and needs some X-rays which will happen tomorrow.

If only one person had helped and she would feel so much better. I just find it baffling and fucking horrid.

PinkSquash Tue 05-Aug-14 22:56:37

Fucking arseholes. I cannot understand how anyone could walk on by.

I hope she is okay

crazyspaniel Tue 05-Aug-14 22:59:54

Your poor mum, where on earth does she live that people are so horrible? I really want to believe that this is an exception, not the norm. My mum had a fall in central London of all places earlier this year and passers-by could not have been nicer or more helpful (just as well, as she gashed her head on the kerb so there was lots of blood everywhere and I was pretty useless and nearly passed out). Perhaps I live in a naïve parallel universe, but I would have thought that most people would stop and help - I definitely would and so would any one of my friends, family and colleagues.

itsalottery Tue 05-Aug-14 23:00:03

So sorry to hear that, my mum too had a fall last week & people did come to help her, thankfully. It has happened before and no-one did so it is just pure bloody luck as to whether there are decent people around at the time or not. I wish her luck for the xrays tmw.

QueenBean Tue 05-Aug-14 23:00:08

Ahhh, that last sentence put tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry, people can be so unkind. What town was this? Is she recovering well?

Vacillating Tue 05-Aug-14 23:00:41

And there were a lot of them, it was quite busy and she was down at least 10minssad

Fluffyears Tue 05-Aug-14 23:04:19

Hope she's just bruised and the x-rays are ok. I seriously couldn't believe it a few years ago in Edinburgh when a little old lady slipped on the ice. No one stopped and I ran over and picked her up (she weighed nothing and was like a little bird). I put her on feet and asked if she was ok and everyone else just walked past, luckily she was ok. It makes me sad that people look the other way if someone falls sad

crazyspaniel Tue 05-Aug-14 23:05:00

Unbelievable. flowers for your poor mum.

Vacillating Tue 05-Aug-14 23:07:55

It was chester bastard chester!

You see you would have stopped, I would have stopped I really hope most would stop but no one did. She is little, 70 odd, smart in a pensioner at m and s way and has mobility issues yet no one helped.

It is luck I know yet it shouldn't be. Not just for my poor mum but the other oldies and youngsters and the ill and vulnerable. Where I live you would be batting off the helpers.

WhatTheFork Tue 05-Aug-14 23:08:02

I would have helped.

An older man fell outside my house in the early hours of the morning. I was sleeping in my bed and heard him shouting for help, weakly. It was during the week between Christmas and new year, so very cold. I went to him with DH, bringing blankets and a cushion. DH phoned an ambulance. The man told us he'd had people walk by him and get into their cars, by now it was 7am ish. I asked him what he was doing out at this time (being off work and it still being very dark I thought it was earlier). He said he was just coming off shift as a night porter in a local hotel. I confess I thought he was a drunk coming home from the pub at first.

The poor soul had dislocated his hip and had to get gas and air in order to be lifted on to the stretcher.

The people that had walked past him were my neighbours, that disgusted me.

He came to see us to thank us (bringing chocolates, the soul) a few months later. We invited him in for a cuppa. He'd ended up having several operations and having to retire through ill health.

People should always stop. Even if the person turns out to be a drunk or druggie, they still need your help.

DrankSangriaInThePark Tue 05-Aug-14 23:08:16

flowers for your Mum. (and you) Hope she is OK, and not too shaken.

Vacillating Tue 05-Aug-14 23:11:02

Fluffyears that lady will have been so reassured by your caresmile to be fair no one would call my mum a little bird!

OorWullie Tue 05-Aug-14 23:11:25

I am genuinely shocked that people would just walk on by and leave someone so completely helpless.

I hope your mum recovers well and regains her confidence. My gran is nearing 80 and very independent for her age, but I'd hate to think of her having that taken away by selfish people not helping if she needed it.

NatJon Tue 05-Aug-14 23:11:40

Your poor mum sad it amazes me how cruel humans can be. My mother was very sick and has a whole host of physical and mental problems. When I was twelve she took me into town. At the bus stop on the way back she sat down and fell unconscious. I was terrified and crying my eyes out, trying to shake her awake and not one person stopped to help a distressed child trying to rouse an unconscious adult.

In the end I had to actually leave her and run to the nearest pay phone to ring my dad, who phoned an ambulance.

I hope your mum is ok thanks

Vacillating Tue 05-Aug-14 23:12:06

Maybe they were worried for their backs. Nah just socially inept bastards

FiloFunky Tue 05-Aug-14 23:12:35

That is terrible. I once witness an older gentleman attempt to catch his wife who collapsed. I rushed over to help him get her on the floor safely. Then took off my coat to put under her legs and my jumper for under her head whilst we waited 45 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. I never did find out what happened to her

So many others walked by hmm it was a couple of winters ago now and I didnt feel cold until I popped into a cafe for a drink! But the cafe did give me the cuppa for free! Apparently it was -3 that day.

I hope she is OK op xx

SecretWitch Tue 05-Aug-14 23:13:43

I am so sorry for your mum. I hope she is feeling better flowers My teenage dd and I saw an older woman fall down some steps recently. My daughter ran to assist her straight away ( she is much younger and faster than her old mum) We sat with her and made sure she was alright. I wanted to ring someone for her but she just wanted to be on her way. I hope someone would do the same for me under the circumstances.

fackinell Tue 05-Aug-14 23:35:54

That's just so awful, your poor mum. sad

People stood and laughed at my Aunt having a seizure in the street, luckily a family member saw her and shoo'ed them all away. She never went out alone again after that.

There is absolutely no reason not to help. I found a homeless man in the street in broad daylight in Kings Cross. It was fairly obvious he was dead but I stood by him as people actually stepped over him and I called the local station. All of a sudden, people who had walked by turned back to ask if he was ok. I was angry and told them to carry on with their business.

Even a pretty obviously drunk man late at night lying in the town hall steps I stopped for. From a safe distance I asked if he was diabetic or epileptic and he said, 'no, just pissed, hen. But thanks for checking.' There is never an excuse to not help!!

Vacillating Wed 06-Aug-14 13:52:47

Fackinhell your poor aunty and natjon what a horrible experience for you bothsad It makes me so cross.

My mum has a few fractures and is a bit upset and shaken but she is ok physically in comparison to what could have happened.

Am sorry there are so many solar experiences here but thanks for the well wishing.

fackinell Wed 06-Aug-14 15:54:23

How awful she has fractures and is shaken up. I can't believe people would walk by like that. Wishing her a speedy recovery. thanks

Ihavemyownname Wed 06-Aug-14 16:08:47

flowers to your mum
I stopped to try and help a man after school when I was 13 he had fallen in his front garden and couldn't get up I did try to help him but couldn't so had to call an Ambulance the amount of others that walked past plus adults was angry

Another time was for a man that was diabetic and was outside a shop angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now