Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tower of London Poppy

(80 Posts)
Shia Tue 05-Aug-14 22:01:38

Who is going to buy one?

https://poppies.hrp.org.uk/buy-a-poppy/

I'm not sure. I was going to as I think they are beautiful but it's 10% plus net profit that goes to the charities.

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 05-Aug-14 22:15:04

10% isn't a lot really. I'd rather skip buying one and make a donation to the charity. They are lovely but I think it would make me sad whenever I looked at it because of what it represents. I'm sure there's better and more worthy homes for them to go to.

Ds and I were at the tower a couple of weeks ago and we could see them 'being planted'.

Dontgotosleep Tue 05-Aug-14 22:15:18

Yeah I think I will. Just looked at them they're beautiful and it goes to a good cause.

butterflybuttons Tue 05-Aug-14 22:15:53

I tried to buy and it wouldn't accept my card - dunno why. Annoying. They do seem v expensive.

divingoffthebalcony Tue 05-Aug-14 22:17:49

Gorgeous, aren't they? 10% isn't much of a donation, but they must have cost an absolute fortune to produce - over 800,000 of them.

laineylou Tue 05-Aug-14 22:19:36

I am going to buy one for my mum a) because she's been involved with RBL since the early 50's and b) because I helped 'plant' some at the Tower
on Sunday

Shia Tue 05-Aug-14 22:20:49

I've decided not to buy one. I don't know where I'd put it to be honest.

I am going to buy this instead.

www.poppyshop.org.uk/poppy-collection-wwi-centenary-enamel-brooch.html

100% goes to the British Legion.

I already have a Buckley Crystal version and it's beautiful.

FruVikingessOla Wed 06-Aug-14 16:37:52

I have bought one. I put my application in on Monday afternoon on the website and got an email this afternoon saying I'd been accepted.

Like butterflybuttons, their website didn't seem to want to accept my card payment - but there is a phone number, so I've paid and organised it that way.

I've done it for my paternal grandfather who was killed in 1915; he was in his late 30s, leaving behind his wife and five children - one of whom was my father. I am his only direct descendant who still has the family surname.

eddiemairswife Wed 06-Aug-14 16:47:10

I've also bought one in memory of my grandfather who was killed in October 1918.

NoTeaForMe Wed 06-Aug-14 17:05:13

I've bought one. I know 10% isn't a lot but they were all handmade and look beautiful.

Quick stupid question though. What does 10% plus net profit mean?! How much will go to charity then?

FruVikingessOla Wed 06-Aug-14 17:08:04

Oh my goodness, eddie, one month before the end of the war - so sad.

Actually, I bought mine for both grandfathers. My maternal grandfather was a doctor, working behind the lines (I guess?). He was 'mustard gassed' and although he survived, he died from that some years later leaving my Mum and my aunt orphans (his wife, their mother, buggered off when they were small, leaving them to be brought up by their father).

Nomama Wed 06-Aug-14 17:12:36

Lots of people must want one, the site's down.

leadrightfoot Wed 06-Aug-14 17:14:37

Have bought one for all my family members who served.
Site seems to have fluctuations of ability to cope!

butterflybuttons Wed 06-Aug-14 17:25:48

I may try and phone up and order instead FruVikingessOla - thanks for that.

My great grandfather was killed in April 2018. His name has been put forward to be read out during the roll of honour.

You can nominate HERE

BlueKarou Wed 06-Aug-14 17:30:48

I ordered two yesterday. I just think it's important to remember these things, and like the idea of having a piece of history with a story I can tell my niece, nephew and, if I'm lucky, my future child.

Pandsbear Wed 06-Aug-14 17:42:06

I have ordered one too. Think the installation is beautiful.

FruVikingessOla Wed 06-Aug-14 17:57:40

Yes, I also nominated my paternal grandfather's name to be read during the roll of honour. I'm not sure whether they contact you, or not. And it's currently closed.

I live in London, so it's easy to go to the Tower to see the poppies in the moat.

But I'd also love to be there on the evening where my grandfather's name might be read out during the roll of honour.

butterflybuttons Wed 06-Aug-14 18:13:33

It is lovely to nominate someone isn't it - my Aunt did it for us. Really nice thought.

NoTeaForMe Wed 06-Aug-14 18:15:32

10% of each Poppy and all net proceeds go to charity. That's what it says on the website, what does that mean exactly?!

Lesnewth Wed 06-Aug-14 18:20:09

I love this artwork, am off to London soon and want to see it, it looks so striking.

dexter73 Wed 06-Aug-14 18:22:15

I bought one yesterday and we are going to see the installation on Saturday. Can't wait!

Cocolepew Wed 06-Aug-14 18:25:11

I bought one yesterday, I think it looks stunning.

AtYourCervix Wed 06-Aug-14 19:52:29

£5.95 p&p PER Poppy???!!!!!!

Lambstales Wed 06-Aug-14 19:53:11

If you do the maths, I believe about £16 of the £25 goes to the charities.

NoTeaForMe Wed 06-Aug-14 20:34:02

Lambstales, How?! That's what I don't understand!

AtYourCervix they're quite big, and I imagine quite heavy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now