Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Complaining about bad service

(30 Posts)
MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 21:58:18

I never have but I had a meal with friends at a restaurant last week and the service and good was so shockingly bad I emailed the head office afterwards

The manager of the store got in touch with me, making excuses saying it was a busy time and that's why. Not only were we one of only 3 parties in the place so not busy, we were given filthy glasses, high chairs etc. Wrong dishes, cold food, rude staff.. list is endless. We felt so angry having to actually have to pay for it, and even then they got the bill wrong because they were too busy chatting to listen, but had already charged my card. So nothing to do with being busy.

After I pointed this out she begrudgingly gave me 10% towards my next meal, ONLY to be used at that particular branch and no other hmm as if I'd want to go back! There's a branch closer to me that I would have liked to have gone to but nope.. that branch only. Like it or lump it.

do you ever do it? Did you get a good result?

Have you work in retail/food, have you ever had any strange complaints?

NCFTTB Tue 05-Aug-14 22:01:05

Tripadvisor review?

missknows Tue 05-Aug-14 22:01:08

I've complained a couple of times. Been given vouchers to cover the bill on both occasions. Try emailing head office if there are more than one.

Plomino Tue 05-Aug-14 22:13:18

I do . I had a spectacular fall out with tescos when they completely messed up doubling up my club card vouchers , made me stand about waiting in their store for two hours with 5 kids in tow on a Saturday afternoon while they sorted it out ( they hadn't ) cost me over £80 of my own money which I didn't realise until I got home , then rang their club card helpline , the woman on the end of the phone couldn't refund but worked out what was wrong , gave me her name and contact number to give to the store . I then drove thirty miles back for the customer service manager to refuse to ring her or refund me , then told me i had an attitude problem despite me being perfectly calm ..

I emailed them a two page diatribe , informing them I was pulling my mobile contracts , credit cards , life insurance , per insurance , and would taste the difference with sainsburys instead . They were grovelling on the phone in 20 mins flat . I got my refund , all my points back and a few thousand more , and a 100 gift card . I spent the lot at another store and haven't been to tescos since . That was 2006 .

I've complained to Essex ford , who tried to make me pay over £2.5k more for a car buying it through their showroom , than it was advertised for on their website . Incidentally , if anyone does buy a nearly new through them , check the Ford Direct website and make sure it's not on there for much much less . I ended up getting my Galaxy for £14k instead of £17k, and I got the impression that although they said it was an 'admin error ' I'd bet it's happened more than once . That and the fact they threw in every possible extra , and I mean every possible extra , when I said I was going to ring the ford head office . I still rang them , because I hate people who try to have me over .

I got a week's free breakfasts at Leon in kings cross, because I emailed them lamenting the fact that their chorizo egg pots were cold or covered in baked beans , and they were making me grouchy after night duty which is never a good thing .

I find the trick is not to whinge wholesale , and seek a resolution , rather than saying something's shit . Always worked so far .

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:19:31

NCFTTB I think that's what I'm going to do now. I really hate complaining but honestly, it was a disgrace. Oh and after we ate they decided to tell us they were charging us £2 as the 'child hate ate'. This was a ten month old baby who had had a nibble of a prawn cracker off her parents plate.

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:20:02

Wow plomino thats terrible!

SweetSummerSweetPea Tue 05-Aug-14 22:27:55

it sounds like a chain.....i would go higher up to area managers and higher. sounds awful.

SweetSummerSweetPea Tue 05-Aug-14 22:29:22

I really hate complaining but honestly well more fool you!

They offer a service and you pay for it, a meal out is a nice treat, you dont go for all that crap?

trip advisor wont get you anywhere, email higher up in the company.

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:29:29

I think I'm going to sweets, if they had apologised and took it seriously I would have said thankyou and left it at that. But making silly excuses that i could easily refute just got my back up.

SweetSummerSweetPea Tue 05-Aug-14 22:31:43

Please remember in some countries hospitality is a serious business and looked on and taken in a professional way. the person you spoke to sounds like a student with no clue.
often with big chains they are run well to begin with then franchised out, un loved and turn crap.

just go for it and do it and save another poor family from this crap

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:32:18

sweets I knowww the funny thing is I'm really forward and quite strong minded but for some reason I always shrink from complaining. However I am good at a strongly worded email, and for some reason if it's for a friend I can do it - just not for myself confused I'm weird I know!

Yeah I think that made it worse, we don't get together often and I'm skint so paying over the odds for a crap meal was disappointing.

Josie314 Tue 05-Aug-14 22:33:25

I complain when food or service is bad. In a restaurant it is usually better to complain right away, as a good manager will just take something off the bill (ie drinks) or offer free dessert or more. That said, if they don't rectify it there I also complain online. The response varies and is often annoying (as you have seen).

Unlabelled Tue 05-Aug-14 22:33:32

Twitter, great for complaints..get tweeting!

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:35:21

I was that fed up when I paid the bill I wanted to get out of their before I blew my top, I was grinding my teeth blush

MammaTJ Tue 05-Aug-14 22:36:45

I did a good complaint in Morrisons last week and got a good result.

We go there nearly every Friday after my DCs karate lesson.

It is a good deal, buy two adult meals for £9 along with but an adult meal get a kids meal free. This means all four of us eat for £9 and I don't have to cook or wash up.

It is usually quite busy and we know this a prepare for a wait.

Clearly the busyness takes them by surprise though. DP tried to order a burger (grill broken), then fish and chips (out of fish as busy), I ordered my usual diet friendly chicken fillet covered in spicy tomato thing and jacket potato (out of jackets as busy).

I mentioned they should know they are going to be busy and got told there were only three staff.

My DC sat nicely and waited and DDs food came smothered in gravy. She has issues and likes it seperate, as per order. DS was happy with his though!

The waitress brought out one bag of fruit and one juice, even though there were two meals ordered (I get this is due to pressure, so did not mention it in my complaint).

When we had finished, I asked to see the manager, catalogued the complaints-nicely. He asked for my receipt and wrote on it 'Free meals' and signed it.

I cannot make Friday due to work, so we collected on it tonight. Still no grill for burgers but everything else was good!

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:39:11

Great outcome! mammatj

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 05-Aug-14 22:39:44

Is there a head office?

I've only complained once to head office. It was mistake after mistake, we waited for 45 minutes for the food, they remade my pizza three times as it was wrong every time. I was with a friend (birthday treat for her) and she asked for tea. They didn't have any. The manager left the restaurant, came back half an hour without any tea but with a balloon for his mum (there was a shop across the road). I was so embarrassed! I moaned and got a free meal as a 'we're sorry', so took my friend back and everything was lovely that time. The manager asked me to email head office to say how things were better, and I would have done, however, the next time I took ds back the glasses were dirty and there was an eyelash on my plate. Not my eyelash. We moved to a different city so haven't been back. The food wasn't express wink

Bills on the other hand, gave ds a free burger and fries because they put veg on it when he'd asked them not to. Couldn't fault them.

HesterShaw Tue 05-Aug-14 22:43:56

Can Twitter not hide complaints though? I tweeted and tweeted Shitty Link and Yodel and never got one response. I couldn't even see my tweets on their page. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I also wrote a letter to City Link's head office and got no reply. I logged a complaint on their webpage and got some trite shit back. I managed eventually to get a £30 refund but I will never ever ever use either of them again!

But yes the trick is to be utterly factual I think, make no personal remarks, but throw in a couple of really sharp, sarcastic observations grin And yes, have a solution in mind for when they ask you what you want out of this.

Longdistance Tue 05-Aug-14 22:44:48

I think you need to get your point across, at how disappointed you are, Nd expected better, when someone retorts back 'well it was a busy period', you need to say, 'that may well be, but I don't expect the standards to slip' it's a weak excuse to use ' it was busy', they should have the correct amount of staff on, and compensate appropriately.

Go back to Head Office and say you are not happy with their response, and it's unacceptable to say 'it was busy'.

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 05-Aug-14 22:49:48

Add how disappointed you are in them as you used to be a regular customer, and you've stayed loyal 'in the hope that these were just a glitch', but this time was the icing on the cake. Add any previous episodes of crapness on their part (I did this. We've previously had glass on ds's plate - under his pizza!, chipped wine glasses, glass on the floor too). Go straight for head office wink

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:53:55

hester your comments don't go straight onto their page, but people can search for your comment if they type in their name

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:55:49

I've mentioned allll of that. I did the guilt trip thing, how we were expecting a nice dining experience but were fully disappointed, won't be returning, have discussed with friends who have had the same experience.. etc. I used to work in customer service so know the tricks ha. What makes it worse is the person replying to me has really bad grammar or has a poor grasp of english as their reply is littered with mistakes and missed words!

Thanks for help everyone. I'll have to ask for head offices' email now won't I blush

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 22:56:53

And a word to the wise...

If you like Chinese food, don't got to southport. Near Frankie and Bennys.

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 05-Aug-14 22:57:05

Yup.

MorphineDreams Tue 05-Aug-14 23:24:23

Oh dear just read the tripadvisor reports. They'd be quite funny had we not had the same treatment.

At one point they ran out of deserts so served cornflakes with squirty cream shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now