Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So tired, don't know how to help myself ...

(14 Posts)
Sylvana Tue 05-Aug-14 18:41:11

I'm coming home from work every night shattered. I find myself reaching for the wine and crap food to lift my energy because I'm so tired. Every day I promise myself tomorrow will be different, but it's always the same. I have weight to lose and it's not helping. I crawl into bed at 9.30-10.00pm and sleep all night. Colleagues in work chat about movies they watch the night before starting at 10pm! I think there must be something wrong with me. Anyone experience this ....?

Sylvana Tue 05-Aug-14 18:42:07

Sorry, I meant to post this in chat confused

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Tue 05-Aug-14 18:46:09

Feeling dog-tired and sleeping a lot can be a symptom of depression. Or sometimes not sleeping well even if it's of a decent duration. Could something be disturbing your sleep even if you're not actually waking?

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Tue 05-Aug-14 18:48:13

How much wine are you drinking of an evening? Too much get you off to sleep but interfere with REM, so you're not waking refreshed

NormHonal Tue 05-Aug-14 18:48:49

Have you been the your GP? They can test for all kinds of things that can cause fatigue - iron deficiency, thyroid, etc. And if the tests are clear, you can discuss depression, sleep etc.

I have experienced that kind of fatigue and for me it was a combination of low iron and depression. Which can both be remedied.

Please get help.

ThisIsLID Tue 05-Aug-14 18:51:32

Being do tired can be linked to a lot if things, not just depression far from! Maybe go and see your gp if you are concerned.
It's quite common to reach for the easy stuff when you gone back home exhausted but in the long run, a healthy diet does make a big difference. Healthy food and not too much wine!
And don't compare yourself to others! Maybe some if your colleagues stay up later but I'm pretty sure a lot of other ones also go to bed at 10.00pm. When I'm really tired, I'm in bed by 8.39~9.00pm, at the same time than the dcs....
Gentle light exercise can also help.

Sylvana Tue 05-Aug-14 18:54:34

During the week I would stick to max 2 glasses of wine. I'm coming home making dinner, emptying the dishwasher, normal things everyone else has to do, but it seems to take a lot out of me.

ThisIsLID Tue 05-Aug-14 19:32:13

How are you at the weekend? Do you find it takes you the whole two days to recover before starting the week again?

hyperhops Tue 05-Aug-14 19:37:16

I am always this tired. I do have depression but this is well treated currently, and everything else has been checked by GP.
I find I have to be in bed by 9pm or I really struggle the next day.
I have done a couple of things that have helped - I have given up drinking totally (not had a drop since April) as I was definitely relying on it too much. I am now tackling my diet. I am trying to cut out as much sugar as possible and eat more nutrient rich foods. I have loads of weight to loose but going very slowly with this.
Still I am always shattered. For me I figure it is just part of life with a 4 day a week job and 6 kids!

Sylvana Wed 06-Aug-14 04:34:02

Yes, I absolutely need the weekend to recover from the working week. I also spend the weekend getting ready for the week ahead, grocery shopping, clothes washing etc. I know I shouldn't compare but other people spend their weekends hill walking or at the seaside, doing nice things - I often wonder where they get the time or the energy! It often feels like I am just dragging myself around.

hyper I'm delighted to hear you are like me grin I think I need to give up alcohol completely too. I don't drink that much at one sitting but I don't like reaching for it out of habit every evening either. Any tips on how to give up ? Just go cold turkey ?

madmomma Wed 06-Aug-14 07:54:11

definitely dump the wine. At 35I've just discovered that even the smallest amount makes me feel like dogshit for the next 48hrs. Get to bed every night for a week before 9pm. After a week you should feel clearer and then you'll be able to tell whether you need a trip to the dr or just more sleep. And once the initial tiredness has gone you can look at meal planning for better nutrition x

Sylvana Wed 06-Aug-14 16:25:10

That sounds like a good plan madmomma

I know I shouldn't be reaching for the wine/Doritos to give me a lift but yet I cant stop doing it. I will have to cut it out for good.

Thanks all smile

madmomma Wed 06-Aug-14 17:26:26

Definitely cut it out altogether at first. You can always re-introduce it slowly tosee if you have a bit of elbow room.

NormHonal Wed 06-Aug-14 18:06:52

Wine on a school night wipes me out too - I have to keep it for the weekend when I can sleep in a little bit.

Def worth cutting it out.

I find that I can get away with the odd G&T. It doesn't seem to tire me out quite so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now