Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's so good about the Great British Bake Off?

(122 Posts)
MagratsHair Tue 05-Aug-14 13:18:06

Have not seen it before, even though I bake myself & have just seen that there is a new series starting. Is it worth watching? Its a competition yes? Is it like Masterchef but baking? cake

IScreamForIceCream Tue 05-Aug-14 13:20:10

It's not at all as stressy as masterchef.
It IS a competition, but is very warm and friendly.

And Mel and Sue are excellent, and they should bring back Late Lunch.

Yes it is funny, and gentle, and everything looks delicious. I find it really calming

thatstoast Tue 05-Aug-14 13:22:18

It's fun and there's cake. It doesn't take itself as seriously as Masterchef.

Blueuggboots Tue 05-Aug-14 13:24:15

Two words......PAUL HOLLYWOOD!
Only joking well, a bit!
It's a really enjoyable show. A bit of competition but nicely. Not pretentious like master chef.
I love it!!

Oh yes and Paul's twinkly blue eyes and strong capable hands

Hoppinggreen Tue 05-Aug-14 13:36:31

It's the lack of angst and wannabes getting their face on the telly for the hell of it that I love.
The contestants aren't all polished and perfect, they are " real" people ( God I sound like Louis Walsh on X factor) and genuinely love a what they are doing.
Some have managed to make a career from it but most just do it for fun
I'm sure it is edited but they show the dramas and disasters as well and ultimately it is just fun and nobody dies!!!

CecyHall Tue 05-Aug-14 13:38:18

It's just nice and makes me feel happy when I watch it.

WarblingOyster Tue 05-Aug-14 13:38:18

Yes. All those cakes and everyone is so lovely.

PetiteBateau Tue 05-Aug-14 13:44:15

Yes to all of the above ( with the exception of paul hollywood - I am not a fan of big hairy gorilla style men)

MagratsHair Tue 05-Aug-14 13:45:00

I'll give it a go, thanks smile

newnameforanewstart Tue 05-Aug-14 13:46:36

OOOH when does this years start everyone???

Starts on the 6th woooooooohooooo!!!

ExitPursuedByAKoalaBear Tue 05-Aug-14 13:48:43

Tomorrow I think.

Happy sigh

HappyMedium Tue 05-Aug-14 14:20:35

It inspires me to do a bit more baking and try new and different things. Can't wait...smile

EatingMyWords Tue 05-Aug-14 14:25:37

cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cakecake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cakecake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cakecake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake cake

newnameforanewstart Tue 05-Aug-14 14:26:15

Ok too lazy to google - in my defence I should be asleep but can´t manage it at the moment. what time please??

thecageisfull Tue 05-Aug-14 14:37:34

I'm not the biggest fan of Paul Hollywood but him and Mary Berry are pretty good judges compared to people on the X-factor or BGT. Their comments are usually very fair and the criticism is often constructive and they don't do that gushing 'you're a little baker in the making' cringiness. This makes it much more watchable. It's interesting to see all the things being made and how differences in the method can produce such different results. The competitors are usually very relatable and Mel and Sue are good hosts.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Tue 05-Aug-14 14:38:50

I've never watched it either.

8pm BBC One tomorrow

ppeatfruit Tue 05-Aug-14 14:47:02

If you want easy going, unpretentious, fun but not stupid viewing that's also educational but not overtly so then Great British Bake Off is the progrmme for you.I love it.

ppeatfruit Tue 05-Aug-14 14:50:03

It's nothing like those Masterchef etc.... type programmes, none of the ridiculous hype and musical dramatic backtracks IYKWIM. grin

ppeatfruit Tue 05-Aug-14 14:56:07

Paul Hollywood does have lovely twinkly blue eyes too. grin Also nice to have female presenters and the female judge is in her eighties wht's not to like??

kentishgirl Tue 05-Aug-14 15:32:02

I love it and I don't watch other cooking shows unless I see the odd 10 minutes at random.

It's great because it has a good range of contestents - young, old, male, female, mostly pretty down to earth types. You don't get wannabe meja stars on there (although I was a bit suspicious of Ruby's self-depreciating mugging while being at the same time very camera friendly last year, and oh, what a surprise, she's the one with the meja career now even though she didn't win, but that's the only one who's made me think that). The food looks fantastic and it's the sort of thing you could have a go at yourself (maybe), or at least it's real food real people would eat, unlike most cooking shows. Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry - great presenters, skilled bakers, useful feedback, fair judging, no showboating. Mel and Sue - just plain funny and supportive to the contestants. It's not a show that tries to humiliate or distress any one.

squoosh Tue 05-Aug-14 15:32:36

Paul Hollywood has far too high an opinion of himself. He thinks he's a George Clooney style silver fox when in fact he looks more like one of the Boswells.

I do like GBBO though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now