Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Scottish exam results

(47 Posts)
RJnomore Tue 05-Aug-14 10:06:06

How did everyone get on then?

NBC breakfast news saying a 20 per cent fail rate on the nat5s.

WeeClype Tue 05-Aug-14 11:17:40

We're still waiting on the post to arrive.

Ds3 got As in Geography and Computing, Bs in Maths and Modern studies and C in English. He said that everyone in his year thought the Maths paper was appalling, and even the teachers thought it was the hardest for 10 years.

Mrsjayy Tue 05-Aug-14 12:04:46

Dd2(highers) got a in hospitality b in english failed history

RJnomore Tue 05-Aug-14 12:48:54

My god daughter has 3 bs, a c and failed maths (fourth year/nat5s)

She sat another two subjects at nat 4 so no exams and passed them already.

She was actually sick waiting for the post this morning, she was so stressed sad

Is yours highers or nat5s stdg?

DD failed all of hers, predicted Bs are prelim. She is gutted.

WeeClype Tue 05-Aug-14 13:06:41

Post finally here.....DD sat all nat 5's and got 2 a's, 2 b's and 3 c's.

Her prelim exams were a total disaster so she's well chuffed.

RJnomore Tue 05-Aug-14 13:12:55

Oh no cormoran. And apparently no right to appeal this year either?

Good news for you thought Clype, dinner out on the cards?

Salmotrutta Tue 05-Aug-14 13:18:21

There is no appeal as such but exams can be looked at again if evidence such as prelims, and other assessments have been sent in less than ten days after the exam if a pupil has extenuating circumstances e.g a bereavement or has missed the exam due to illness etc.

However, marks can go down as well as up.

DD might appeal her no award results, as she got a Bs in the prelims, and no awards cannot go down grin

SquirrelledAway Tue 05-Aug-14 13:39:52

DS improved on his prelims too, so quietly chuffed (wouldn't be right for a moody teenager to look too happy).

Mrsjayy Tue 05-Aug-14 16:05:35

Oh no your poor daughter was it her nats or highers try and see if you can get it sorted. Dd got a d on her prelim so cant appeal her history she has a ld so only sat 3 and is doing another 3 in 6th yr

dancemom Tue 05-Aug-14 16:10:59

Are NATS the new standard grades? I'm confused!

Lidlfix Tue 05-Aug-14 16:20:17

The replacement for Standard Grade- much better preparation for the complexity of Higher. Since I have been strictly forbidden to post on FB I am chuffed to bits with DD1's A's for English and Geography, B's for Maths and BM and C for Physics. She's a bit flat, but part of a very competitive/academic peer group.

Mrsjayy Tue 05-Aug-14 16:30:03

Dd was the last year to do standard grades the new head stopped them doing highers over 2 years dd1 did physics over 2 so will the new 5thyears not do highers then

Mrsjayy Tue 05-Aug-14 16:31:04

Your dd did well though what is she flat about

wigglybeezer Tue 05-Aug-14 16:39:11

DS1 got no award in Biology but as he failed (just) his prelim we can't be too shocked although I thought he had maybe done enough to get a C. He got a D in Bus Man, not enough revision I think. Pleasant surprise was a B in English, which means he will be allowed to have a go at Higher. He also got a Nat5 in PE.

Next year he will be upgrading (hopefully) some of his Nat4's to Nat5's and attempting Higher PE and Higher English.

Revision and study leave were a disaster this year as his brother ended up in hospital far away for three weeks and Dh and I had to leave Ds1 to fend for himself, without a parent helping to keep him on task he really struggled to get through everything. We did prioritise English though, as it's such a key subject, and it looks as though that payed off.

Salmotrutta Tue 05-Aug-14 17:23:00

Nationals are more the the old O grades.

I should clarify about the removal of appeals:

Pupils can only ask for prelims, class assessments etc. to be looked at if they had extreme circumstances during the exam diet and that their evidence has been sent in no later than ten days after the exam.

The school cannot do anything unless they know about extenuating circumstances (such as illness or bereavements etc.) during the exams but if they are told at the time they can gather the relevant paperwork and send the evidence of previous attainment to the SQA.

dancemom Tue 05-Aug-14 17:53:43

So can someone explain nat4 and nat5, is it not done over 2 years anymore as standard grades?

When would you sit nat4 or nat5? In what year? What are the grade equivalents to the old 1, 2, etc?

Do you have to get a certain nat result to sit highers?

I feel old!

Crutchlow35 Tue 05-Aug-14 18:13:21

My niece got 3 A's and 2 B's. She's thrilled.

Salmotrutta Tue 05-Aug-14 18:53:29

Nat 4 and 5 are one year courses done in S4

That's because pupils receive the Broad General Education between S1-3 following CfE outcomes and experiences for all the subject areas.

Nat 5 will lead on to Higher provided the student gets a good grade - exactly the same as Standard Grades - and Nat 4 will lead onto Nat 5 if the pupil completes the coursework at a good level of attainment.

Pupils always had to get good results in S4 to progress to Higher so that's stayed the same.

I agree that Nat 5 is more like the old O grade as there is more content etc.

PiggyPlumPie Tue 05-Aug-14 19:00:55

Very proud here - DD got 5 As and 3 Bs.

Eva50 Tue 05-Aug-14 19:04:04

Ds's 1&2 each sat 3 highers (as they have some s/n's) ds1 got 3 C's which is more than enough to get on to his college course and ds2 got an A and 2 B's shock. One proud Mummy!

prettybird Tue 05-Aug-14 19:23:42

Niece got 3 As (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) and 2 Bs (English and Biology) for her Highers so she is well chuffed especially as her awful Chemistry teacher last year wasn't even going to let her set her Standard grade smilesmile

dancemom - the principle of new National Curriculum is that the kids should follow the Broad General Education up until S3 and then choose their Nat 4s or 5s in S4. However some schools (like ds') are getting them to choose at the end on S2, so that they can still do 7/8 National 5s (equivalent of Credit Standard Grades I think).

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 05-Aug-14 19:47:01

Ours are still choosing at end of 3rd year and have the option of 7 Nat 5s (they move up at Easter though to give them those extra weeks to slot in the required teaching hours). We are not at that stage yet. Eldest went into 3rd year at Easter past so it's next January that he has to make his choices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now