Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fuuuuuck. Mad panic. Head swollen after bleaching.

(211 Posts)
McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 20:19:19

Hi. Posting here for traffic.

I had my hair bleached today at a hairdressers (painted on, not foils) and my head hasfelt strange since. I assumedit was the bleach burning my scalp as it does. Looked in the mirror and thought my head looked a bit round/bigger than normal and I realise the skin where the bleach was, including my forehead is swollen. Not too bad but quite uncomfortable.

I'm shitting myself as I'm home alone with DD. What do I do? Had my hair done there before. Not noticed this before confused

iliketea Fri 01-Aug-14 20:20:39

Take some piriton and call the ooh GP for advice. If you're having an allergic reaction to the bleach, piriton will help.

Fluffyears Fri 01-Aug-14 20:21:02

Have you got any anti-histamines, if it gets worse go to A&E as allergic reactions can be dangerous.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 01-Aug-14 20:21:25

I've no experience of this but I think I'd take piriton and ring NHS direct. If your hairdressers is still open ring them too.
If your breathing is affected at all, ring 999 straight away.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 01-Aug-14 20:22:18

I've no experience of this, but I'd take piriton and call NHS direct.

If your breathing is affected at all ring 999.

And let your salon know when you can too.

Can you get somone to watch your girl quickly.

How's your face feeling, itchy or tight?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 01-Aug-14 20:22:42

Oops sorry - thought I'd lost the first post.

McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 20:23:40

I remember reading about a girl dying from a home dye kit. Her head swelled up. I've messaged the hair dresser. I feel like shit but I did anyway. Looking for piriton from when DD had pox but think I threw it all out as none of us suffer with allergies. angry

McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 20:24:43

Tight. Not itchy. That's good isn't it? Please say yes

Loletta Fri 01-Aug-14 20:25:12

Rinse, rinse and rinse some more. You may still have some bleach there

McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 20:32:32

I've found some 'allergy relief syrup'

and lots of other crap in the 'medicine cupboard'

I've got a big freckle where the swelling ends. I'm keeping an eye to see it doesn't go passed that line but I think it's already passed the line of where she stopped putting bleach. If I lean my head back, it is swelled enough to feel weird as fuck against my neck.

I can feel something strange there at the top of my neck. She was a trainee. Perhaps she didn't wash it out enough.

Loletta Fri 01-Aug-14 20:35:56

It happens a lot with hairdressers that they don't wash it off properly. You can't risk keeping bleach on your skull for longer. Wash your hair thoroughly, at least two shampoos applications. Wait 30 min. If it doesn't get better go to A&E

MontserratCaballe Fri 01-Aug-14 20:40:23

I understand that it is usually the dyes in dark colours which are more likely to induce a dangerous reaction than just pure bleach. Also I think if you were going to have an anaphylactic reaction it would have happened by now.

I am not a Dr but it sounds like a burn. Rinse your hair and take anti histamines. It should calm over time. If still worried ring OOH and ask for advice.

Hoping you've rinsed really well, how sre you feeling?

hellymelly Fri 01-Aug-14 20:51:04

I agree it sounds more like a burn than an allergic reaction (not a Doc either). Bleach doesn't normally cause allergic reactions, they are usually caused by a couple of particular chemicals in dye. Did you only have bleach, or did you have a tint on top?

OHforDUCKScake Fri 01-Aug-14 20:51:45

Oooh not good. OP what is the main ingredient of the relief syrup? Is is Chlorephenamine or Citirizine?

A wet cloth/towel/muslin will sooth it.

If it gets worse, you may need steroids. I dont mean to worry you, but you can get delayed anaphylaxis. Just because it hasnt got severe now, doesnt mean it wont later.

If it gets any worse, even a tiny bit, go to casualty.

GobblersKnob Fri 01-Aug-14 20:53:51

Site here here, suggests the most common symptom is swelling.

Hope it is starting to improve, I suspected I was becoming allergic to bleach, as I started getting pain, itching and scabby sores after highlights, had to give up the blonde sad

McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 20:58:49

I did feel like it was soothed under the Luke warm shower. I've shampooed three times and conditioned once. Feels like it's out. Issue is that the swelling is not only where it was possibly left in. It's everywhere the bleach was.

This is an OOH thing not a and e isn't it? I have a vague idea where the minor illness and minor injuries thing is. Would that be it?

Tonight was my one early night. I'm at deaths door for tiredness and I was about to go to bed when I posted confused

Happy36 Fri 01-Aug-14 21:02:03

Not an expert but perhaps some ice would relieve the discomfort, wrap it in a teatowel (or use a bag of frozen peas if you don´t have any ice).

Hope you can get it sorted soon! Take care.

ImperialBlether Fri 01-Aug-14 21:02:32

I would go to OOH as soon as you can, OP. Please don't wait all night.

wherethewildthingis Fri 01-Aug-14 21:09:26

Call NHS direct, now. I nearly died from anaphylaxis, you don't want to risk it. Sorry if that sounds alarmist but it comes on.quickly.

lunar1 Fri 01-Aug-14 21:09:30

I would ring the out of hours line, hope everything is ok.

McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 21:10:50

I'll get ready and DD dressed to give it chance to her better and then ring NHS direct. Believe it's 112 now or something similar

McBear Fri 01-Aug-14 21:14:28

Oh and syrup has chlorphenamine maleate as active ingredient.

I look like an extra from Star Trek or battle star galactica

Glad you're going to get it looked at. I agree that it sounds more like a chemical burn. If you want OOH instead of A&E, ring your own GP and they'll have a recording telling you what to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now