Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Push Scooters for Adults, I want to but am too embarrassed....

(20 Posts)
UhOhChongo Fri 01-Aug-14 20:06:00

I have noticed a few adults using scooters on the roads/streets of London but am still put off by thinking I would look and feeling a complete berk.

Pickelback Fri 01-Aug-14 20:11:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UhOhChongo Fri 01-Aug-14 20:12:55

doh! and feel (not feeling) blush

lucysmam Fri 01-Aug-14 20:13:31

I can't even cope with scooting on dd1's to school grin (well, couldn't before it broke). It made my legs feel all buzzy confused

Anticyclone Fri 01-Aug-14 20:14:38

I used to ride one home from uni in my younger days, it was great! Saved about 30 mins on my commute home and mega light when carrying around during the day.

I think you have to forget your inhibitions and try to not care what anyone might think, you'll have scooted past them in seconds anyway!

My advice would also be to go for the one with the biggest wheels, for an easier and more stable ride!

AuntieStella Fri 01-Aug-14 20:17:24

If you don't want to look a berk, then go for a skateboard.

ToffeeMoon Fri 01-Aug-14 20:19:00

Loving the liberal use of the word "berk" here. Takes me back... Why don't people say "berk" anymore?

UhOhChongo Fri 01-Aug-14 21:14:31

Ha ha, thank you Anticyclone

Are adults really starting to use scooters? I went everywhere on mines all through my teens.

If this is becoming a normal thing, I will definitely be getting one.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Fri 01-Aug-14 21:18:27

I've asked for one for my birthday blush. It has interchangeable wheels - the usual hard ones and then proper mini tyres that you pump up. I see quite a lot of adults using them where i live .

I have one and occasionally go out with DS on it. It's great fun.

Those who have one, where did you get it?

Also, what does "berk" mean? blush

toboldlygo Fri 01-Aug-14 21:33:14

I have one but I tie dogs to the front of it and meet up with other likeminded berks in order to race said dog-and-scooter combos.

UhOhChongo Fri 01-Aug-14 21:42:34

I am sooo old hat with my berk reference (berk= idiot). But am I new hat with wanting to ride an adult version of a push scooter...?

DogCalledRudis Fri 01-Aug-14 21:53:38

There are adult (commuter) scooters out there. If they make them, means its reasonable. I have one myself, though not using it very often

donkeychops Fri 01-Aug-14 22:00:55

Berk, rhyming slang for Berkshire hunt

RedErik Fri 01-Aug-14 22:01:42

I have one, I share it with DH.

We bought it because I wanted to do some sort of outdoor activity/sport as a family but my DD is not very sporty and doesn't really do bikes, or long walks, or skates (she has aspergers and poor motor skills).

But she absolutely loves scooting. She's 7 and still uses her mini micro scooter smile So now we regularly take her scooting at the weekend and DH or I can join her smile

iK8 Fri 01-Aug-14 22:07:43

I saw the actress Helen Baxendale on one the other day as she nearly ran me over so I think it's ok now. I'm fact, if I get a job in London I will be getting one of those scooters with a bag for my stuff - so much more practical than a folding bike.

Dh and I used to laugh until we were nearly sick at a woman riding one in her city gear round Chelsea about ten years ago. Shows what we knew hmm

iK8 Fri 01-Aug-14 22:09:15

Oh and my dad used to have one. I think he might have grown out of it now that he's in his 60s...

He's thinking of getting a unicycle instead. He's seen one on sale apparently.

10000Fireflies Fri 01-Aug-14 22:09:31

As you're not trailing the blaze of being the first adult on one most people will have already got over how much of a berk you might look!

At least, that's what I'm hoping as I am expecting to get one for my birthday too. How else can I be expected to keep up with DS on his? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now