Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Posh picnic

(28 Posts)

Hi, planning a posh picnic for an aunts 70th birthday. We are thinking we will have smoked salmon, caviar, lobster, crab and champagne. Only about 10 so money is no problem. Any ideas for what would be good to have? Thanks very much.grin

AuntieStella Fri 01-Aug-14 19:49:49

Sounds lovely!

I'd add qualis' eggs, proper cucumber sandwiches and elderflower cordial.

cathyandclaire Fri 01-Aug-14 19:52:39

macarons
<drools>

Such nice stuff shouldn't be mucked around with too much, but I think getting all the meat out of the lobster and crab would be essential. I would simply get a large platter and once at the picnic site, arrange the lobster, crab, smoked salmon on it with cut lemons.

Have prepared blinis, rye bread buttered with a dill butter for the smoked salmon, and simple sliced french bread also. a big tub of creme fraiche to decant into a pretty bowl to also go on the platter, and another bowl for the caviar.

I woul also make a tub of herby, lemony homemade mayonnaise. If you are concerned about health issues, you can make a brilliant mayonnaise with hardboiled eggs. This would go really nicely with the crab and lobster. A simple salad of peeled, thickly chopped cucumber, sliced tomatoes and some watercress perhaps would look very pretty tucked in amongst the food.

Fresh fruit such as raspberries and strawberries with a bowl of sugar to dip them in (and a bowl of double cream!) is easy peasy and delicious.

Oh, and a bit of chocolate too...maybe some brownies?

quails eggs a brilliant idea. Make some celery salt for dipping.

OHforDUCKScake Fri 01-Aug-14 19:57:59

Oh mayan!!! I wanna come!!

<would stand out like a common sore thumb>

BridgettRousselot Fri 01-Aug-14 20:03:51

My mouth is watering.

Something like this would be nice too

Ilovenewts Fri 01-Aug-14 20:12:59

Pate ?

Nice chocolates

Aliceinvodkaland Fri 01-Aug-14 20:14:22

can i come? grin

Thanks everyone - some lovely suggestions! Love the fruit tarts and yes to pâté too. I don't fancy quails eggs but might go for them as do suit poshness!

Just remember pate can be a problem in the heat. Maybe plate it up on bread first, cover well with clingfilm and keep chilled.

I think with most picnics, minimising the amount of fiddling people have to do with knives and folks is the key. It means committing to most of the prep first, and transporting in suitably chilled containers, but really makes a difference to the pleasure, and lessens the hassle on site.

Food that can be picked up with fingers or with a fork is the best.

Mybigfatredwedding Fri 01-Aug-14 20:54:52

Im not posh so have nothing to add, but i am actually drooling at this thread!

Sorry to sound bossy! Catering is my thing. I've catered for all sorts of events; family celebrations, photo shoots etc...

And have learnt that keeping it simple really is the way to go.

Mrsgrumble Fri 01-Aug-14 20:56:42

A spinach and Brie quiche. I had some at a very nice cafe yesterday. Yum

Greek salad

andsmile Fri 01-Aug-14 21:02:14

Home made summer berry bread pudding - the best of British fruit during the summer - or some sort of fruit compote with posh madagascar custard - these could be done and set into glasses/posh plastic glasses.

andsmile Fri 01-Aug-14 21:03:10

Grilled asparagus and courgette - just eating a ready made one from M&S lovely summer veg!

that's a lovely idea andsmile.

TerrifiedMothertobe Fri 01-Aug-14 21:05:33

Sounds beautiful. Some. Lovely fresh bread to fill up on with some amazing butter.

re the bread, again, I would suggest buttering it first, and layering it with greaseproof paper or somesuch. fiddling with knives on a picnic is a nightmare.

You could always have some nice bread for tearing and sharing though, for those who are happier to make their own!

Great points about how you just want t to be easy to eat so will definitely butter / prepare things in advance. Thanks.

glad you get what I mean, nospring! You are clearly going to loads of trouble to make this a really special occasion. But once there, there is absolutely no need for you to spend your precious time faffing with the practicals!

SquidgyMummy Fri 01-Aug-14 21:59:04

are you taking a table and chairs or is 70yo auntie quite happy to sit on the ground?
(food sounds yum though!)

oh yes, table and chairs a must.

I would demand that at 50, let alone 70!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now