Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Lost pet rat or normal rat that needs killing?

(55 Posts)
AnAirOfHope82 Fri 01-Aug-14 18:44:29

Sorry but OMFG x1000

Family sitting down for dinner when my 5yo son shouts "look someone has lost their pet rat".

Yes a checky fucker rat is looking thru the patio doors at us all eating. Dh walks over and it calmly trys the old cat flap on the garage door then back to patio doors for another look bold as brass. Dh bangs the window and it does a runner up the ivy and in to the pub yard at the back of our house.

Ds now wants to go catch it so he can return it to owner. Dh has gone for rat posion.

So before I kill it, how can I tell its not a pet? Even if it is should I still kill it?

Its 6pm and light out side. Are rats not nocturnal?

Redglitter Fri 01-Aug-14 18:46:58

I wouldn't take the chance. I'd have the poison put down

lljkk Fri 01-Aug-14 18:49:56

post a pic & I can probably tell you. Luckily neighbour chose a bucket not a shovel when one of our pet rats went missing.

lljkk Fri 01-Aug-14 18:51:26

... no, rats are not especially nocturnal; they take on hours of convenience.

Basically pet rats are more likely to have some black or white fur or a pretty colour. Wild rats are bigger, have coarser fur, more likely to be brown or brown with white bellies. Wild rats will leg it fast when you approach & pet ones will probably come up to say hello like puppies. pet ones tend to be fatter.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 01-Aug-14 18:51:42

The poision will be put down tonight as im too scared to let the kids out or open the patio doors!

GoneGirlGone Fri 01-Aug-14 18:51:52

<Gets up and shuts French doors>

Kill it. Immediately.

Shockers Fri 01-Aug-14 18:53:30

I have pet rats. What colour/size is it?

NatashaBee Fri 01-Aug-14 18:53:51

What colour is it? Never seen a brown pet rat or a fancy coloured wild one so that should give you an idea.

Nomama Fri 01-Aug-14 18:54:13

Same here, post a pic, or describe it, co lour and size,and we'll give you or best shot.

But pub yard suggests wild....

Patrickstarisabadbellend Fri 01-Aug-14 18:54:49

Poison.

Bearsinmotion Fri 01-Aug-14 18:55:35

Depends on the colour. Wild rats are brown or grey, white rats are often whitish with pink eyes or patches of brown and white.

hoobypickypicky Fri 01-Aug-14 18:55:48

Rats aren't nocturnal. They're crepuscular, most active during twilight/dusk and sleep parts of both day and night.

You probably saw a wild rat, especially as you say you live near a pub - this will have a ready source of food and rubbish for him.

They're bold creatures and very clever. It's not a great shock that he's living in or near a pub and has got so used to noise and people that he's unfazed by your family and fancied a nose.

What did he look like - I mean what colour? (Just in case he's an escaped pet, which isn't outside the bounds of possibility).

Whichever he is hold back on the poison idea!

Poison usually thins the blood and causes the creature to bleed to death. This stuff could potentially cause serious harm your child and any pet animal visiting your garden too.

If you're sure that the rat was a wild one you'll need professional advice about removal and deterrents. I wouldn't recommend using poison bought over the counter near children or other people's pets.

Bearsinmotion Fri 01-Aug-14 18:56:07

Lots of cross posts, sorry!

Floralnomad Fri 01-Aug-14 18:56:22

If its brown - feel free to kill it ,if it's any other colour or mixed colours catch it .

Shockers Fri 01-Aug-14 18:56:28

These are pets...

gamerchick Fri 01-Aug-14 18:56:50

well what did it look like?

I have a freezer full of the pet type and none of them are black or brown. They're quite pretty things the pet ones.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 01-Aug-14 18:56:52

The rat was brown, long and lean and ran off as soon as the window was banged! It had black eyes and a long point face. Its head and ears looked silky.

SomethingVicardThisWayComes Fri 01-Aug-14 18:57:30

i have 9 pet rats - some of mine do look the same colour as "wild" rats - i have two very big boys, one agouti and one silver black - they look "wild" - please dont kill it it could be a pet - if its so bold it could easily be - i would be devastated if someone mistook my boys for wild rats and killed one....

can you just corner him with a box or cat carrier or something similar? a vet could tell you if he is tame and a pet or wild and need despatching.

please dont kill it yet....

SomethingVicardThisWayComes Fri 01-Aug-14 19:00:48

these are my two pet boys

please dont kill it - both of mine above are pedigree pet rats - even though they look like the colour of wildies....

your not near me are you? id come and get it

Namechangearoonie123 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:01:42

If it comes up to you for a cuddly then it's a pet

Wild rats run like fuck or attack when cornered

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:02:52

Dh said its more of a gray colour with silky fur!

Coconutty Fri 01-Aug-14 19:03:50

Eeek, take no chances.

hoobypickypicky Fri 01-Aug-14 19:04:06

What lovely "furry kids" shockers. smile

On the subject of wild rats, I saw a black one recently - although black rats are supposedly very rare with only about 1500 in the whole country.

AnAirOfHope82, it sounds like you saw a wild one too.

Your problem will be the pub. It's all very well killing that rat but there will be more. In order to find out where you need to consider where their food source is coming from and in your case you only have to look next door.

It's probably best to speak to the licensee and tell them that you've seen a rat in their pub garden and that you suspect that there's a nest on their premises. Let him/her do some of the investigating.

AnAirOfHope82 Fri 01-Aug-14 19:07:50

Im in South yorkshire if anyone wants to come get it. I think its run off now but we did see it last week walking along the wall at 3pm.

wannaBe Fri 01-Aug-14 19:08:34

IMO any rat that is out there in the wild is fair game. Kill it asap.

If it's someone's pet that's a bit unfortunate, but no-one should approach any rat out there because you can't be sure, and if you get bitten they carry all manner of disease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now