Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

NCT Lunch...

(24 Posts)
Lottiedoubtie Fri 01-Aug-14 17:46:12

Right, I am definitely over thinking this but I need some suggestions.

DH and I have a full day of NCT course fun tomorrow. It's the first one so haven't met anyone yet. I've had an email from the course leader inviting us to take something for lunch to share with everyone, apparently it has to be vegetarian (bit of a relief that one as pregnancy has made me loath meat!) and 'doesn't need to be homemade' (does anyone else read that as, it definitely bloody should be homemade?)

So help me oh wise ones, I want to make a good first impression with these people so don't want to appear tight, but also I want to make friends not come accross as the pretentious lentil weaving try hard....

Argh I'm sure I was never this angsty before I got pregnant grin

Blueuggboots Fri 01-Aug-14 17:48:59
EatShitDerek Fri 01-Aug-14 17:50:39

French stick and cheese

callamia Fri 01-Aug-14 17:53:33

Falafel, houmous and bread?
Cheese?
Melon?
Cake.

I can across as totally lentil-weaving with my carrot sticks and houmous, but I was being investigated for GD, and was trying to be low GI. I've still, somehow, got friends.

Lottiedoubtie Fri 01-Aug-14 17:56:25

I'm sorely tempted by French stick and cheese, although DH doesn't eat cheese, but I could buy the bread in the morning on the way to the course so it was fresh.

The aubergine one is out because it needs to be eaten hot and I don't think there's facility for that.

DuckandCat Fri 01-Aug-14 17:57:12

Maybe a tomato pasta? Or potato salad?

Simple, but looks like you made an effort.

RunningKatie Fri 01-Aug-14 17:59:17

I do a flan thingy for our NCT agm.

Sheet of puff pastry scored around edge then slices of tomato, olives and brie or something in rows.

Shove it in the oven, can be eaten hot or cold.

I would be overthinking it! smile

FelixFelix Fri 01-Aug-14 17:59:47

I'd take bread and various flavours of humous. We had to do the same for our class last year and this is what I took with me grin

LilyandGinger Fri 01-Aug-14 18:01:53

I'd take a tray of nice sandwiches or a quiche or perhaps some samosas (none of which need to be home made but could be bought and made to look homemade). Not that I do that of course <whistles >

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 01-Aug-14 18:03:42

Salad
Quiche
Cheeses and meat (salami, chorizo etc) , bread, olives, hummus
Dessert

Fox28 Fri 01-Aug-14 18:09:26

We had to do this, and I panicked just as much as you! I was asking everyone I spoke to what I should do for weeks leading up to it!

We weren't told it needed to be vegetarian, so we took sausage rolls, crisps, satay chicken and salad

It turned out everyone thought along the same lines and there were lots of crisps and sausage rolls smile I didn't want to appear as though I was trying too hard so decided not to take anything home made, and only 1 couple out of 7 did (homemade quiche which went down really well)

For the 2nd class I made sandwiches, and they went down really really well! Just bought a couple of loaves of bread, some different cheeses, tomato, lettuce etc and made a few different combinations with white/brown bread. I liked that they were kind of home made in that I'd made an effort to put something together, but not going as far as to bake my own bread grin

froomeonthebroom Fri 01-Aug-14 18:09:27

Cous cous with loads of chopped up salad veg in it: pepper, cucumber, a tin of sweetcorn, spring onions. Then dress with oil, mustard and vinegar.

TheWhispersOfTheGods Fri 01-Aug-14 18:09:31

A veggie quiche is easy and looks fancy (those jarred roasted red peppers from Lidl are amazing in it - if you have those 5 blade herb scissors they are fab for them) or even easier, ready rolled puff pastry covered in tasty things - I love those aforementioned peppers, black olives, spinach and spring onions, over spread ricotta, baked til it's puffy. Looks like a lot of work, takes 36 seconds.

Lottiedoubtie Fri 01-Aug-14 18:11:19

shock 5 blade herb scissors? You've overestimated me...

Lottiedoubtie Fri 01-Aug-14 18:13:39

How about Pitta breads, various houmous/other dips, chopped up carrots, cucumbers, peppers and then some crisps or something to balance out the healthiness?

Shallan Fri 01-Aug-14 18:15:37

Or a salad? Easy to throw together in the morning, and so long as you take it in a cool bag it should be fine. Lots of good recipes here:

ohmyveggies.com/50-meal-worthy-vegetarian-salads/

Is this common for nct days? We have nct days coming up, may have to start over-thinking this myself!

campocaro Fri 01-Aug-14 18:15:55

When I was pregnant all I wanted to eat was cold roast chicken and strawberry ice cream so perhaps you could take that?

failing that some nice summery fruit-3 different types of melon perhaps made up on sticks as melon kebabs?

Shallan Fri 01-Aug-14 18:16:28

Oh fruit kebabs are a great idea! Easy to eat and everybody will like them.

hesterton Fri 01-Aug-14 18:18:03

Mozzarella, tomato and fresh basil salad. Bring dressing of oil and basalmic separately. Colourful and tasy. But simple.

ftmsoon Fri 01-Aug-14 18:31:05

I took a tray of cupcakes from lovely Mr Tesco. Considered baking but was too pregnant.

Tapewormuprising Fri 01-Aug-14 18:55:13

I'd make a massive cous cous salad. Yum.

WineSpider Fri 01-Aug-14 19:08:34

We did this at my NCT group antenatal class, although it was on day 2 when we had all got to know each other. I did a basket dash for picnic type bits in m&s - we all did the same so it worked out well.

Don't forget dessert - I took some strawberries, grapes and some of those mini brownie and flapjack bites. No one else had brought this so it was popular!

It was really fun and we all see each other regularly - enjoy!

WineSpider Fri 01-Aug-14 23:07:13

We did this at my NCT group antenatal class, although it was on day 2 when we had all got to know each other. I did a basket dash for picnic type bits in m&s - we all did the same so it worked out well.

Don't forget dessert - I took some strawberries, grapes and some of those mini brownie and flapjack bites. No one else had brought this so it was popular!

It was really fun and we all see each other regularly - enjoy!

flingingmelon Fri 01-Aug-14 23:14:15

We took Tangfastics. Everyone loved them and it really broke the ice!

We took normal food too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now