Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you let your pre teen children drink energy drinks?

(75 Posts)

I sometimes work in the village shop and I'm pretty shocked at how many kids drink cheap energy drinks all day long. They range roughly from 8-12 years old and come in about 4-5 times in my shift to buy the 35p energy drinks.

I'm just wondering if parents know/allow this?

These kids are literally bouncing round the shop after the first can, I often kick them out when they are too giddy.

I so wish they could be age restricted, Red Bull is/used to be but the cheaper ones aren't as far as I know.

Anyone else think this is a problem or am I being daft?

Hell no. My children are bloody manic enough as it is without adding caffeine and the rest into the mix. It's a nightmare scenario.

If they sold drinks that had the side effect of wanting to sit down quietly then I'd consider it. grin

Whatever other people do with their children is up to them, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to make their children hyperactive!

35p?
Under 12s?

Christ on a bike, are you serious?

Branleuse Fri 01-Aug-14 15:31:22

ive seen them drinking them after school. Madness

Some of the no-brand ones are really cheap. My DH buys them occasionally.

FiveExclamations Fri 01-Aug-14 15:32:39

No, I don't think you are being daft and the owner of our corner shop won't sell them to pre-teens without parents in tow (as best he can bearing in mind that some of them do look older) because their behavior after drinking too much of them can be an issue for the shop and he generally doesn't approve.

Some of the shop staff are not so bothered though, I see the occasional 10 yr old wandering around with them.

That what I thought! Why on earth do kids need more energy?!

Yep they are happy shopper, called Euro energy, and are price marked at 35p. The shop orders 2-3 cases a day.

Idontseeanyicegiants Fri 01-Aug-14 15:32:58

The shop near me sells those 35p ones. DS is banned from them because frankly he turns into the child from hell when he's had them. Not so much bouncing as stomping like the Hulk.
He prefers Dr Pepper anyway grin

Missunreasonable Fri 01-Aug-14 15:33:56

My nephew and niece are pre teens drink them all the time. I told the parents that these drinks are not good for children and the answered me with a shrug of the shoulders and the words, "well they like the taste of them".
My own kids will not be drinking energy drinks with my knowledge until they are at least 75 years old.

Not much shocks me, but this has.

God knows what it's doing to their insides. I drink them very occasionally when pulling double shifts or if I've got an assignment due and they are rank

RelocatorRelocator Fri 01-Aug-14 15:36:35

No way shock

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 01-Aug-14 15:37:12

No.

But I have seen them being drunk by some of the children in my street and at DS's primary. I did ask one mum why she allowed them. She said that her DS didn't go to sleep until late and so needed one before school as he was so tired.

OldBeanbagz Fri 01-Aug-14 15:38:36

I don't buy let my kids drink energy drinks as i think they're probably full of chemicals. They don't need any more energy!

My DD's high school doesn't allow kids to take them to school since they discovered one of the students was drinking 2-3 Monsters a day shock

Cardriver Fri 01-Aug-14 15:42:28

Pre teens? I don't even let my teens drink them though I might have to release my grip on DD1 soon since she's nearly 18 grin

Eastpoint Fri 01-Aug-14 15:44:16

No, & I would be very against any of my family drinking them.

I'm asking you lot as parents but really there is not a lot anyone can do unless they are age restricted.

I say to the kids "eurgh, why are you buying that?" But they just look at me like I've got two heads.

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Aug-14 15:54:31

12 year old DS has the odd bottle of Lucozade at junior footy.

Solo Fri 01-Aug-14 15:56:15

I have never bought them and would never give them to or allow my Dc's to drink them, but I do know that my Ds was drinking them a lot from about age 12/13. He's come off them now and I think he realises that they are very bad to drink. Dd is only 7 so won't get the opportunity to try them for a long while yet I hope
I don't think it's energy the kids are looking to get, I think it's the high they get from the sugar and caffeine.

Yama Fri 01-Aug-14 15:58:41

No. And they only very rarely get non-caffeinated fizzy juice.

FreeLikeABird Fri 01-Aug-14 16:01:36

No, I have told my ds they are age restricted, he has mentioned some of his friends drink them, ds is 12 btw.

I thought they were dangerous for children to drink? I also did think they were age restricted, they bloody should be, awful stuff.

Stinkle Fri 01-Aug-14 16:01:36

Nope

They sell the 35p ones in our local corner shop too. DD (nearly 13) is always asking for them when we go in there, but no way.

She walks past the shop on her way to and from school though, she may (probably does) buy them then but I've never found any evidence and she doesn't usually have any cash on her anyway (we have pre-loaded swipe cards they use in the school canteen).

I came on to say yes, thinking you meant lucozade sports drinks. DS drinks those at swim meets. The cheap caffeine filled cans? Nope, no chance!

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Aug-14 16:02:11

When your 12 year old goes off for the day with his own money, you can only hope he isn't buying and drinking cans of Monster etc, but there's a chance he may be.
Not sure what the answer is.

Meglet Fri 01-Aug-14 16:04:44

God no. I've never touched one either. I get quite het up about foul stuff like that, chemical-y, sugary caffiene <vom>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now