Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Buffet for 50

(27 Posts)
HollyGuacamolly Fri 01-Aug-14 14:50:01

What do we need?

So far I've got:

Cheese sandwiches
Ham sandwiches
Egg sandwiches
Tuna sandwiches
Sausage rolls
Cupcakes

How much do we need of each (And obviously we need other items). This is going to be on a budget so no caviar grin

Shia Fri 01-Aug-14 14:52:47

Is this foe adults or children or a mixture of both?

HollyGuacamolly Fri 01-Aug-14 14:53:55

Adults so will need to provide booze as well.

Am I being horribly naive thinking adults will eat cheese sandwiches?

Hatetidyingthehouse Fri 01-Aug-14 14:55:56

Crisps, cheese

Pizza fingers are cheap and go a log way, bowls of grapes, cherry tomatoes, veg crudites/breadsticks and dips.

Shia Fri 01-Aug-14 14:58:23

A lot of women can be funny about bread so I wouldn't do too many sandwiches.

You always get the fat ones who say they don't eat bread but then you see them later with five cup cakes!

HollyGuacamolly Fri 01-Aug-14 15:00:39

Pork pies? Do people actually like pork pies? Scotch eggs maybe?

HollyGuacamolly Fri 01-Aug-14 15:01:34

What about if I make a cheese board with lots of bits of chopped up cheese people can take and crackers?

ikeaismylocal Fri 01-Aug-14 15:02:55

Pies/ quiches?
Cold meats/fish.
Pasta/couscous salad.

I'm crap at knowing how much to buy, we are making a buffet for 100 people next week and I've just randomly bought stuff hoping it will be enough, in practice it will probably be far too much.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Fri 01-Aug-14 15:03:21

On your list or actually ready?

Easiest cheapest buffet is ploughmans - cheeses - Aldi do nice mature cheddar/brie etc, tiger bread (£1.20 a large loaf, one for every 8 people is plenty, get crusty granary too if you want) butter, pickles, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, grapes or apples, kettle chips. Box or two of oatcakes for wheat free alternative. Peanuts, pickled onions.

Perfect alcohol absorbing food!

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Fri 01-Aug-14 15:05:09

Allow one of each large thing eg sandwiches and two of each small thing eg cocktail sausages per person. Usually works out about right.

Leeds2 Fri 01-Aug-14 15:12:14

Plate of chopped veggies (carrot, cucumber, peppers etc) with dips.

Coleslaw and potato salad.

HollyGuacamolly Fri 01-Aug-14 15:13:52

The only thing I can't have is <whispers> dips, they bring me out in a cold sweat.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 01-Aug-14 15:17:21

Not even guacamole?

You could have the chopped veggies without the dips.

What about a cheese+pineapple on sticks stuck into a grapefruit 70s throwback?

Ellypoo Fri 01-Aug-14 15:25:11

I would do a pasta salad as well, and rather than ham sandwiches and cheese sandwiches, get some French sticks to slice up, and have a platter of cold cooked meat and a cheese board type thing.

Second cherry tomatoes and cucumber/carrot/celery sticks. Crisps and pickled onions are great too.

A nice homemade coleslaw is easy to make but tends to go down very well.

Deliaskis Fri 01-Aug-14 15:26:04

Agree completely with wellwellwell do a ploughmans buffet or similar. Just an expanded cheeseboard really, but with variety.

Better for an adult buffet I think.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Fri 01-Aug-14 15:44:45

You're looking at 30 mins max for something that looks great and people will love. Really fresh bread is the key. I own a brewery and when we do tours this is the food we provide. Always goes down very well and is about £1.50 a head max. All you have to do us cut thick slices of bread and bung everything on serving platters - we do bread on big woode trays and have IKEA revolving cheeseboards - one per ten people. I usually get local cheese via the wholesaler but aldi stuff is fine.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Fri 01-Aug-14 15:45:16

And if it's a birthday do we add a few loaf cakes.

splodgeness Fri 01-Aug-14 17:45:39

Don't you find that a cheeseboard works out really expensive (if you have half decent cheese)?

I would say do just a few big but nice things, not lots and lots of little things. Do a big bowl of couscous (make with bouillon and add lots of finely chopped veg and herbs) and a big bowl of home made coleslaw which is really delicious and dead cheap. Lots of french sticks.

On boxing day we did a sort of pretend hog roast, so roasted a few pork joints which we sliced up hot, then served with french bread and apple sauce and coleslaw. Really simple and quite reasonable price wise and everyone loved it.

Agree with keeping it simple and having just a few good things. I'd also go with the cheese idea:

lots of bread
cheese
bowls of green salad and homemade coleslaw
grapes, celery, cherry tomatoes
crisps
maybe some sausage rolls

Much easier than faffing around with hundreds of sarnies.

KillmeNow Fri 01-Aug-14 17:55:26

We tend to have bowls of couscous,pasta with some sort of sauce mixed through it,savoury rice with veg in it and some wedges or new potatoes .

Then a lot of salady veg according to whats available and cheap.Cut up nicely and arranged on a platter it looks attractive too . Then instead of sandwiches we do halved good quality baps (tops and bottoms) with sliced cheese and cold meat to have with the salad stuff.

If we have a bit more money to spend then we add pork pies,sausage rolls,chicken wings,better cheeses etc.

Add a couple of puddings to complete the offerings and there you have it. Everyone happy.

KillmeNow Fri 01-Aug-14 17:58:04

splodgeness - Im pinching the hog roast idea .

That sounds great for a gang of people and cheap enough to do if you buy the pork on offer and freeze.

Lagoonablue Fri 01-Aug-14 18:00:40

I didn't think people still did sandwiches for buffets! No offence but usually it is quiches, pizzas, sausage roll and various salads. Plus crisps, dips and cheese board.

I don't eat bread so I would be struggling!

CwtchesAndCuddles Fri 01-Aug-14 18:55:19

My chef brother once told me to cater one round (two slices of bread) per person then take away one third. ie buffet for 90 people you would need 60 rounds of sandwiches. I've always found it to be a great guide - once the sandwiches are cut into quaters they go a long way (unless feeding a teenage rugby team).

Carrot, pepper, cucumber strips with a few dips usually go down well.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 01-Aug-14 19:07:23

I went to a nice party once that had a couple of large slow cookers with curry and chilli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now