Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do good sofa beds actually exist?

(29 Posts)
plumnc Fri 01-Aug-14 11:26:43

I mean ones that actually work both as a sofa and a bed?

I need to kit out a room to both work as spare room and family room and a 2 or 2 1/2 seater sofa bed would be perfect - only I have never come across one that is not either crap to sit on or sleep on - actually usually both!

Any recommendations?

Beenspotted Fri 01-Aug-14 11:31:27

I like futons, but they are low for sitting on and firm for sleeping. To me those are both positives but may not be for everyone.

plumnc Fri 01-Aug-14 11:39:14

Thanks but not so keen on futons- especially as sometimes I'll have my elderly parents sleeping on it.

I'm looking for something that looks/feel like a proper sofa and as close to a good mattress as I can get.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 01-Aug-14 11:39:55

We have a Leo from Harveys.

Comfy enough as a bed, very comfy as a sofa.

Penguin0fMadagascar Fri 01-Aug-14 11:40:16

We've got an L-shaped sofa that turns into a double bed from Ikea that has been very good - the sofa is comfy, and the mattress is quite firm. We've never had complaints from guests! Might be a bit big for you though?

plumnc Fri 01-Aug-14 11:45:06

I'll check out the Leo
An L shaped one sounds too big. The room is fairly snug, more like a good size study ( which will be its 3rd function!)

stargirl1701 Fri 01-Aug-14 11:45:21

Yes. We slept on one this year. It was slatted like a bed at the top. Very comfortable.

No idea of the brand though, OP. Sorry.

callamia Fri 01-Aug-14 12:02:07

I've got one from John Lewis. It's a great bed - I spent two weeks on it while I was pregnant and it was fine. It's also a lovely compact sofa. I can't remember what it's called, but I'll check when I get home.

Moogdroog Fri 01-Aug-14 12:02:23

We've got one from ikea which is bloody great. Spent out on a comfy mattress and it's a wonderful bed. No arms so can sit all 4 of us, plus a cat or two.

plumnc Fri 01-Aug-14 13:18:24

Thank you
Would love to hear which models you've got.

Not sure about no arms - l like to completely slouch so fear I would fall off!

Sofa only needs to seat two. This is a small spare room I call it a family room, but it's secretly mostly for me & the pooch ( ok maybe I'll allow dh too) to escape to when the teens are hogging the big TV/wii wink needs to have a sofa bed because we don't have a spare bedroom and have friends and family who live far away.

LosBreakingBad Fri 01-Aug-14 13:24:42

I am doing exactly the same thing with my son's newly vacated room. I've sold it as a family room but it is really for me.
I've been looking at sofa beds and Next seems to have a good selection of well priced sofas.

Whoateallthecheese Fri 01-Aug-14 13:47:52

Yes. We have one from sofa workshop which is a comfy sofa and a comfy bed. Wasn't cheap, but we use it regularly for friends/parents staying over.

hiccupgirl Fri 01-Aug-14 14:16:06

We've had 2 from IKEA over the years.

The Beddinge one is a great bed but a 3 sweater sofa and the seat was a bit long for my short legs. We now have a lysckke (?) which is a 2 seater. Not the most stylish to look at but is comfy as a sofa, easy to convert to a bed and back and is a great bed to sleep on. I think it was around £200.

cafesociety Fri 01-Aug-14 14:48:09

I like Alstons sofa beds. Nice quality, prices not too bad.

weegiemum Fri 01-Aug-14 14:52:56

We have an ikea one a bit like this and it's great! visitors like it and I had to sleep on it recently for 6 weeks when I broke my leg. Very comfy!

sherbetpips Fri 01-Aug-14 14:54:57

get one with slatted supports - needless to say the more expensive the better they are. We also bought and Ikea mattress topper to go on top when it is a bed to make it more bearable.

Gen35 Fri 01-Aug-14 15:00:08

I have a Laura Ashley one (not slatted) that's both an uncomfortable bed and an uncomfortable sofa...and one of our heavier guests managed to bend one of the poles!

fledtoscotland Fri 01-Aug-14 15:11:02

We have a metal action sofa bed (brown leather) with wooden slats that I got from gumtree for £100. Will look later when I unfold it to see the brand but it's comfy - we've been sleeping on it for 3 wks whilst building work going on upstairs

Clawdy Fri 01-Aug-14 15:20:15

Anyone tried the Haru sofa bed from Made.com? Got one arriving in a week or two!

Waspie Fri 01-Aug-14 16:05:34

We have this one Harry from Sofa Workshop. I've had it for about 7 years and it's in the living room so gets lots of use as a sofa plus lots of use as a sofa bed too. It wasn't cheap but I'd definitely recommend it.

lurkerspeaks Fri 01-Aug-14 16:09:26

I have a lyksele from ikea. With the expensive mattress it is very comfortable to sleep on. Designed for studios and as a permanent bed. I used mine as such for 6 months.

Not the best sofa but perfectly adequate. It has no arms though but in compensation is pretty wide so you can snuggle you legs up.

LePetitPont Fri 01-Aug-14 16:54:05

Nothing helpful to contribute but in exactly the same market as the OP so place marking!

thegreylady Fri 01-Aug-14 17:35:10

Ours is great. It is a comfy sofa and a full 4'6" double bed which everyone says is lovely to sleep on. I bought it at Alan Ward near Shrewsbury but there are other sources.
Our friends liked it so much they bought one for their own spare room.

GarlicAugustus Fri 01-Aug-14 17:42:38

A big vote here for www.sofaworkshop.com/ They are 'proper' beds, with springs, that pull out in one lift-and-pull movement. Also very comfortable as sofas. They're expensive - though there's often a sale on, and if you go to the showroom they sell ex-display models. Well worth the money if you can afford it. They last for ages. I think the guarantee's ten years, and the bed part is certified for permanent use whereas most are only 'temporary' or 'semi permanent'.

I had to give mine away last time I moved. It was 5 years old, still almost perfect, and I slept on it last Christmas. It's now 15 years old and good to sleep on smile

DollyParsnip Fri 01-Aug-14 18:18:39

Another vote for Lykselle (sp) here; got 2 from Ikea 14 years ago and both still going strong. Covers are easy and inexpensive to change and wash really well.

We also got a Futon Company sofa bed which is good (use it as our sofa). Again v comfy and a decent sized bed though the covers are a bit spendy (though they have plenty of sales to stock up)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now