Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Packed lunch to a wedding.

(87 Posts)
GoMe Fri 01-Aug-14 08:36:52

Dd 7, isn't fussy but there are some things she won't eat and we are going to be at this wedding for the whole day. She is constantly hungry and I have no clue what/when/how frequent food will be served or if I will be able to buy anything at the venue.

Is it ok if I take a discreet packed lunch or few snacks for her?
Any suggestions on what to take?

MidniteScribbler Fri 01-Aug-14 08:41:34

I wouldn't take a packed lunch, but some easy to snack on things in your handbag would be fine. I always have some muesli bars for DS as must 'just in case' foods. Nothing messy or needs cutting up or keeping cold. Preferably eaten with one hand and also quietly. No noisy packets or food that is noisy to eat like packets of crisps.

Sirzy Fri 01-Aug-14 08:42:36

I wouldn't at 7. Maybe one or two little snacks but that's it.

TobyLerone Fri 01-Aug-14 08:43:35

Definitely take snacks. Cereal bars, boxes of raisins, nuts etc. Nothing noisy or messy!

thatwhichwecallarose Fri 01-Aug-14 08:45:11

I'd take stuff. The alternative is a whingy child and no one wants that. Agree with others - nothing noisy or crumbly.

BranchingOut Fri 01-Aug-14 08:46:15

Take the lunch and have done with it - keep the cool bag in the car maybe?

NoTeaForMe Fri 01-Aug-14 08:47:21

I'd take a few snacks but at 7 I would expect her to be able to get by unless there are medical issues and she can't eat certain food or is ridiculously fussy. As it's mumsnet I feel I should add that last bit!

TobyLerone Fri 01-Aug-14 08:50:20

Yy I agree to not taking a full packed lunch. She ought to start learning that she can't always just eat because she's bored (which, IME, is usually the case when children constantly whine for food).
Also, take her a bottle of water.

TobyLerone Fri 01-Aug-14 08:50:34

Yy I agree to not taking a full packed lunch. She ought to start learning that she can't always just eat because she's bored (which, IME, is usually the case when children constantly whine for food).
Also, take her a bottle of water.

TobyLerone Fri 01-Aug-14 08:50:57

Oh, FFS angry

Shia Fri 01-Aug-14 08:57:11

I disagree to a certain extent.

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago and there is only a certain amount of food to go round. I had a vegetarian main course that was specially done for me but my ex'x daughter decided she didn't like most of the food and would only eat the potatoes. Lots of potatoes.

That meant that others felt obliged to give up what they would have to satisfy the needs of one fussy 11 year old.

I would take a sandwich for her and don't make a fuss at the table and see if other people can tempt her to eat her main meal. Don't let her take extra's of things like potatoes as it pisses other people off. Everyone on our table was silently pissed off with my ex for suggesting his daughter have all the potatoes. It didn't effect me as I had a different meal but I wouldn't have bee pleased if I'd missed out.

MTWTFSS Fri 01-Aug-14 09:05:38

100% take a packed lunch + snacks!!! Why people think 7 year olds should have to act like adults is madness to me!!!

MTWTFSS Fri 01-Aug-14 09:08:11

That being said, you should probably be aware I am the woman that takes a picnic out with me even if we are only going for a short walk blush

ooerrmissus Fri 01-Aug-14 09:13:29

Perfectly acceptable to take a load of snacks in your handbag.

Bloody rude to whip out the Tupperware at the dinner table.

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 01-Aug-14 09:16:13

I would take food. Weddings always involve eating at really odd times, and often start at a time that means you have missed lunch. Standing around through the photos with a glass of pimms and a rumbling tummy is no fun.

If anything, people looking at you will only be wishing they'd brought something to eat too.

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 01-Aug-14 09:16:53

(Obviously the 7 year old won't even get the pimms, which only makes the rumbling problem worse).

I went to a wedding a few years ago that was mid morning. Then we had to go to the reception venue an wait for the bride and groom to turn up which took ages. Then there were loads of photos. The food was then ready - a hot buffet and by that time everyone was starving not having eaten since breakfast but for some reason they decide to do the speeches etc before the good was served. Again this went on for ages and all I could think about was my stomach! My kids were starving as was I ( and prob all the other guests) and it must have been after 3pm by the time we could get food. The wine had gone to my head on an empty stomach too.

So while I just sucked it up cos I'm an adult, it wasn't very pleasant and we had no food for the kids to keep them going.

It was even worse at another wedding. 12pm wedding. Then onto a hotel to the bar where none of the guests knew what was happening next. Plates of sandwiches were brought out seemingly just for the older guests (grandmas etc) but nothing for anyone else till an evening buffet at 9pm. We actually made an excuse to nip yo the nearby village shops so we could get something to eat! It hadn't been made clear on the invite or from BIL that there would be no food served till the night time. Thank god that it was pre-children!

My point is that you very often don't know at a wedding how long you're going to have to wait for food. Kids always seem to be hungry so yes I would take a sandwich and a piece of fruit for your dd in case there is a massively long wait . If she doesn't end up needing it, well, it's only a sandwich, but if you have no food and have to hang around for hours then the fallout from a restless hungry 7 yr old won't be pleasant for her, you or the other guests. Take a sandwich.

LindaMcCartneySausage Fri 01-Aug-14 09:23:51

Whipping out a sandwich at the dinner table is just plain rude. I'd be hoiking up my judgy pants if you did that and I was at the table. She's 7, not 2 and if she's not that fussy an eater, then she should try what's put in front of her. It's a wedding - will be chicken wink

Take a non messy, non noisy snack or two. With a decent lunch inside her before you go, should be no issue with her lasting the pace. I agree with the pp who said the constant grazing is probably boredom.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 01-Aug-14 09:25:22

I'm quite surprised by this thread. I wouldn't think anything of it if a 7 year old was given a packed lunch at a wedding. If it had happened at my wedding I wouldn't have minded at all...

PrincessOfChina Fri 01-Aug-14 09:27:26

I'd take a couple of easy to eat snacks but not a packed lunch. The Bride and Groom will have paid for a meal for a 7 year old and if you knew she wouldn't eat it you should have raised it with them when you RSVP'd. I know we've been to weddings where kids have been given a special meal.

PeppermintInfusion Fri 01-Aug-14 09:32:38

Ask the b&g what the options are for a child- I got married last year and the hotel gave me a choice of child's meal (selection) or a half portion of the adult meal. There was a bit more choice for the kids to accommodate fussy eaters

Bunbaker Fri 01-Aug-14 09:33:01

DD is horrible company when she is hungry. I don't cope well with being hungry either, so I would take something. There is nothing to be gained by ruining the occasion for everyone else by having a hungry, whining child in tow.

Katy1368 Fri 01-Aug-14 09:34:04

Take it just be discreet! I went to a wedding earlier this year where it took so long for the food to come out mainly as they had five ( five!) speeches to get through. I was starving and then when at last the food was served the portions were tiny and the venue left at least an hour between each course, not of course the wedding parties fault but I was famished having not eaten since breakfast.

Thank goodness we didn't bring DD she would have been climbing the walls, I was getting irritable as an adult and DP got pissed so quickly on an empty stomach he fell over and ripped his suit. Not the best wedding...

Iggly Fri 01-Aug-14 09:34:17

Yes ask for the children's options.

Unless she has allergies she should deal with it quite frankly. Bring snacks yes but that's it. How else will she learn manners?

erin99 Fri 01-Aug-14 09:38:21

Snacks ok if done discreetly. If feeding her a sandwich I'd do it in the car rather than at the table, if possible. And yes, taking water is a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now