Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do I shift the 'apron' effect of skin (stomach) and firm up my saggy arse?

(27 Posts)

48 yo
2DC
Losing weight (slowly)
Excercise limited due to various health issues
Can't do Low Carb

No to surgery, not going down that route.

I looked in the mirror t'other day and thought "Where the feck did THAT come from" as I spied a roll/fold of skin across my belly.

I can wear my Sloggi Support briefs but that doesn't cure it.

I can't do sit ups (back trouble/ gallbladder)
Swimming aggrevates my back/shoulder (previous injury)

Can't do low carb as it involves lots of fat (butter in coffee. Seriously ? ) shock

So, I can do some walking (as long as my colitis lets me)

God, I'm a fecking catch aren't I ? sad

bookishandblondish Thu 31-Jul-14 23:26:39

Planks.

But really, I'd go to the local gym and get someone to design you a programme which works for you. But it will definitely have planks in.

CuttedUpPear Thu 31-Jul-14 23:29:59

Pilates.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 31-Jul-14 23:33:46

You could try the Shred everyone raves about. But ignore the barking commands and start gently - just shuffle if you have to. And don't do the crunches.
I'm 51 and have muscular/joint pain ishoos and am doing Mutu as I reckoned it would be a gentle way of toning up the belly, ie without potentially damaging crunches.
I've also started a pilates class with a pilates-trained physio, taki g it really gently but it seems to be giving me more strngth in that area, if no visible signs of toning as yet. But defi itely making progress.
I wouldn't do any old pilates though; this is a class of five max and she's already assessed me, so knows my limitations. And she moves around correcting us during the class, not just posing at the front.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 31-Jul-14 23:39:02

I can't do low carb either, still can't even after gallbladder removal. I did instantly acquire a memory foam-like wad around the middle after the op, though - posted about it here but no one responded.
I was reasonably slim before the op, so maybe that made it more noticeable.
Was well pissed off, and still waiting for it to go back down 18 months later, even after losing half a stone.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 31-Jul-14 23:39:59

Sorry didn't mean to make it all about me! grin

wink S'okay ShotGun

I need to go down the Pilates route I reckon, make my muscles more toned and efficient.

I swam on holiday last year, really nice and relaxing, felt invigorated.
Swam when I was back home, not any fun and knackered my shoulder.

I'm planning a visit to an osteopath to assess my back (I've had 3 RTA in the past 12 years - one while pg and one wrote off my car) then I fell on my outstretched arms 3 years ago.
That's without the gallbladder/colitis to add to the mix.

<<sigh>>

Walk in the pool? I know you can't swim due to your shoulder and you mentioned walking may cause some problems. Walking in the pool is lie impact, water provides some support, but also some resistance so burns calories at a higher rate?

*low not lie, sorry didn't preview

FabULouse Fri 01-Aug-14 06:28:28

Low GI eating

Squats

GobblersKnob Fri 01-Aug-14 08:38:25

If you can't low carb can you cut out wheat?

gamerchick Fri 01-Aug-14 08:42:25

Once you get an apron the only way to get rid of it is surgery.

Next time you're at your gps ask him/her to have a look and give you some advice on what would be best for you personally exercise wise.

Paulrn Fri 01-Aug-14 08:45:48

I have bad news, if its skin no amount of exercise or wonder creams will get rid of it. I lost upwards of 8 stone and had to have it taken away. I tried exercise and was up to over 200 sit ups at a time but all I had was a six pack wrapped up in an oversized bag.

For the Glutes squats followed by more squats. Try kettle bells that will help skin around the arms etc can be re filled with muscle.

CaptChaos Fri 01-Aug-14 08:52:56

Agree with Paulrn. No matter how much weight you lose, if you skin is overstretched enough that it has sagged into an apron, then surgery is the only way to be rid of it.

I'm in the same position, am losing weight, and then will have the kangaroo pouch removed. It's too overstretched from my last pregnancy and then putting on weight to ever go back to how it was.

Pilates is ace though, and will be a real help later on.

Nomama Fri 01-Aug-14 08:56:41

That apron just takes time, consistent diet and exercise of almost any kind will do it eventually.

If your body likes to store fat there then it will take a while for it to go. I have the same problem and it does reduce over time. There is no magic exercise that will target the fat store, though exercises like pilates will work and define the underlying muscle structure.

It is only the size of the calorie deficit that will get rid of that apron of fat. Fortunately, if you lose weight slowly the skin gets a chance to retain some elasticity and will shrink back to a certain degree. Sudden weight loss is more likely to leave you with more skin as the fat cells disappear and the skins does not have enough elasticity to cope, so it sags and stretches a bit more - then you'd need surgery.

ExcuseTypos Fri 01-Aug-14 09:04:49

You don't have to do very low carb- just cut down on carbs so you're doing "Lowish-carb". Cut your carb portion by 50% and you will lose weight. So instead to a sandwich at lunch time, have an open sandwich with only one slice, half your potato/rice portions etc.

I would also recommend the 30 day shred, once you know the routine, turn down the sound so you don't have to listen to her, I then listen to the radio- much nicer!

I've had 2 CSs and the only time since then, that I've had a beautiful flat stomach was when I did Lowish carb and the 30 day shred together.

ExcuseTypos Fri 01-Aug-14 09:06:24

Sorry just read about your shoulder- the 30 day shred wouldn't be suitable.

ilovemonstersInc Fri 01-Aug-14 09:13:14

Sorry to hijack but have a question for nomama
so with a low calorie diet and a good amount of exercise the apron should disappeare if done sensibly rather than quickly? Im pg with dc3 and my babies are huge so I have a bit of am apron blush but really want to get back into shape and im sure we are done with 3dc.

Nomama Fri 01-Aug-14 09:31:36

Yes. But how much will disappear will depend on your genetics - the ability of your skin to bounce back is down to how it got stretched and your genes.

My sister had a hugely stretched belly and has, in about 6 months, reduced it so much she feels human again (she says). She will have a pouch left over (she will have lost 4 - 5 stones) but it is no where near the size she was told by a variety of health professionals. Fortunately she trusted her big sis to know better (it's my job) and didn't panic.

Start slowly, build up the amount and intensity of exercise you do - but most importantly find something you like. You just need to do something.

And don't worry about fancy diets, low this, high that. Calories count. If you find a diet that suits you you will be successful. I do a form of Intermittent Fasting, Dsis is on WW or SW. I hate her diet, she hates mine, but we are both successful.

Good luck, be patient smile

DinoSnores Fri 01-Aug-14 09:41:22

If you have a weak core/diastasis recti, sit ups and planks are pretty bad anyway and can make a pouch worse. I started doing Pilates after DC1, having not been convinced that it looked very much, but it makes a HUGE difference and I am evangelical about recommending to people now!

WhoMovedMyVuvuzela Fri 01-Aug-14 09:47:05

Pilates, walking, regular physio? (for your shoulder) and spanx for your tummy.

Pilates is amazing imo, I did some 1-2-1 with a teacher and it was fantastic, 6 years on and I still remember what she taught me.

I will always have an odd apron of skin (operations and x4 DC's) but regular exercise makes me feel that much better about my body as a whole that it bothers me less. If I wear the spanx I can at least hide it, the rest of the time I just tuck my tummy into my jeans!

however Fri 01-Aug-14 10:24:40

I had twins that left me with a very weak core. Pilates saved me. 8 years later and I have a six-pack. You can see it because I had my loose skin removed - I'm afraid that's the only option with skin.

That, and walking keeps me in shape. I don't diet.

RufusTheReindeer Fri 01-Aug-14 10:38:17

Thanks for starting this thread, lots of really interesting information on here

I've been a bit lazy over the last 18 months or so and I was planning yo start the shred in September once I'm back from my hols but my main problem is my apron

My plan is to lose another stone and excercise. If I can maintain my ideal weight for 6month to a year I'm going to look at a tummy tuck

Hope it goes well for you

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 01-Aug-14 14:50:52

Surgery isn't always the only answer, my friend had incredible results with a cross trainer after having huge twins!

RufusTheReindeer Fri 01-Aug-14 18:55:27

dame

That's kind of what I thought

I thought if I was at the weight I want to be and made a real effort with the excercising and toning then I could see what I looked like

I have a stone to go but at the sides of my (wobbly grin) tummy you can fold the loose skin, I can't see that going...but I really want to be proved wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now