Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone talk to me about MacBooks?

(93 Posts)
Maryz Thu 31-Jul-14 23:03:38

I am very non-techie, but was just wondering why people buy MacBooks when they are so much more expensive than other laptops.

I could start this in Techy Stuff (or whatever the topic name is), but it's more a ponder than anything else so I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts for or against them.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Thu 31-Jul-14 23:16:32

I think:

Less virusy
More creativey
Prettier

<shallow and bankrupt>

I'll be getting a macbook soon as it is the only computer that will run one of the programs I need for my course which starts in september. If I didn't need it for that, i wouldn't fork out for one as I can usually get everything I need on windows. That said, music industry standard (i'm starting a course in music tech) is macbooks so it pays for me to have one long term

Pipbin Thu 31-Jul-14 23:23:34

I've only used macs since about 1998.
I understand that they are not right for everyone but I find them so much easier to use and more reliable that windows machines.
Yes they cost more, but then a dress from Primark is cheaper than a dress from monsoon for example. Both dresses, both cover you up, what's the difference?
Also, when you are comparing prices, you are not really comparing like with like. On paper a windows and a mac laptop might look the same but it's the way the machine uses the power that is different.

ggirl Thu 31-Jul-14 23:29:46

I am saving for a new one , mine has broken backlight and the casing is ropey so I'm not keen on spending ££ to get it repaired . It has lasted me 12 yrs so although expensive I think they're worth it. Easy to use and virus free is what attracted me to it.

We are a Mac household.. we gradually switched over as the Windows ones died...

Reasons:
No viruses (or so few as to be negligible.. never heard of one yet)
Life isn't therefore spent updating antivirus software
They are a thing of beauty

But more importantly.. the big difference is that Microsoft is SOFTWARE which is then loaded onto a million different makes of laptop.. all of which need their own drivers etc to talk properly to the hardware Macs are a totally integrated system.. the software is built for its own hardware.. they are born together designed to work together and it does prevent problems.

In my own experience, our macs have FAR outlasted our Windows computers.. I tend to expect 2-3 years on a laptop running windows (only my eldest DD1 has one now and I seem to replace it every 2 years !) before they slow down/die. To be fair she is pretty hard on them (med student at uni who works hard but streams a ton of stuff constantly)

Our current Macs are 6 , 5, and 4 years old.. and I can count the times they have crashed on one hand..or less.

They are standard in the music or image industry for the software.

They are different at first, but after 6 years of Macs I would never go back to Windows.. they seem clumsy and complicated in operation, and definitely not as beautiful grin

* also shallow and bankrupt!

Pickelback Thu 31-Jul-14 23:48:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Thu 31-Jul-14 23:48:52

Oh, goodie, replies.

Sorry, I went off to get ready for bed and thought this thread would disappear without trace smile So far, it seems 100% favourable responses, which is interesting.

Pipbin, that's the type of thing my db says "they use power differently" - we are looking at the MacBookAir 13" which only has 128 Gb - now that with a normal computer seems ridiculously small. He keeps saying things like "she won't need much storage, she can store things on the cloud" confused

To clarify, this is for dd heading to university. And I'm not paying for it - it's an incredibly generous present, but I'm wondering will it be wasted on her envy

The pros, that I can see, are that it's very light so she would be able to take it everywhere, and there is a very long battery life - neither of which seem to be available in other makes without also spending a lot of money.

Maryz Thu 31-Jul-14 23:50:04

I am also shallow, btw, I just love the look of them.

I wonder could I persuade dd's godfather to buy one for me too, just to practice on you know?

I have to go off to bed now, but thanks again for the replies and if anyone has any negatives I suppose that would be useful too but I'd rather not, because I'm pretty much sold on one at this stage

grin

Pipbin Thu 31-Jul-14 23:57:22

Mary, I have a 13" MacBook Air and it is brilliant.
As said above, because it is one company making all the components they just work together and therefore works more efficiently.
And yes, you can store stuff on the cloud, which you can then access from any machine.

To draw a comparison, many years ago I used to sell food processors. Now if you look at a Kitchen Aid it has a motor that on paper looks half as powerful as that of a Kenwood. However, the kitchen aid is a direct drive motor meaning that 100% of the power goes to the beater. This is not the same with other mixers, they lose some of the power in the gears etc to make it work.

Pickelback Thu 31-Jul-14 23:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepdodger Thu 31-Jul-14 23:58:57

Soooo much better at processing images

You can get reconditioned ones from apple direct a an in between price option btw

angeltulips Fri 01-Aug-14 00:02:16

I bought an 11" MacBook Air for travelling bc it is so light + it had the new (at the time) processor so it was the only laptop on the market where I could get 7hrs+ battery life. I run windows for Mac on it so I don't have compatibility issues.

That said, I think if you are at all quantitative then you can go past running excel in a native windows environment.

For design/creative stuff, surfing the net or emails - macs are pretty, sturdy and simple to use.

Littleturkish Fri 01-Aug-14 00:03:35

Absolutely love mine. Bought it in 2009 and it's like new.

No viruses, so quick, gorgeous, great for photos and love the way it syncs with all of my devices.

fairylightsintheloft Fri 01-Aug-14 00:30:50

ok, a voice of dissent here. We got one in 2009 and it is slowing down massively. I have never really got on with it, don't find it "intuitive " at all. Simple things like getting a photo that someone has emailed me onto i photo is not a simple drop and drag. DH wanted it because he uses the music programmes, but I am keen to go back to a PC. A decent enough one is still a 1/3 price of a mac so I can replace it more frequently if need be.

Littleturkish Fri 01-Aug-14 07:47:06

Fairy, can I have yours?! I'd love another!

Seriously though, it is really easy to fix both those things- PM me if you'd like me to show you.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Fri 01-Aug-14 07:53:18

Another pro Mac poster here, for all the reasons listed above. I first started using them in 2007 at work and was converted within 2 weeks. They are so easy to use!

OryxCrake Fri 01-Aug-14 07:55:23

Macbook Pro user here. I love mine! I use it every day for work and it's been going strong for five years. PCs seem very clunky to me in comparison, but DH would disagree with that...

leadrightfoot Fri 01-Aug-14 08:01:34

It is the ONLY laptop I have had that consistently kept it battery life, I can carry around all day or for prolonged periods without wrecking my shoulders and back, works every time, boots up with out issue and I don't have to spend 2 hours every Sunday updating one way or the other
Have used it for 7 years every day at work and would never go back. No issues with window compatibility either
We are moving the whole office to these slowly

threepiecesuite Fri 01-Aug-14 08:11:26

I just got a Macbook Air on Tuesday from work. I've never had any Apple products at all, we're a Windows/Samsung household.
But by god, it's good. I am finding it intuitive, battery seems to last forever and oh it's just so slim and pretty.

allduffedup Fri 01-Aug-14 08:15:54

I have a MacBook Air too. I love that it is really slim and light, and the battery lasts for ages. Since 95% of my use is just for browsing the web, those are the most important things to me. I much prefer it to having a tablet. I'm not a huge Apple fan btw - if I wanted a powerful computer I'd probably get a PC, just happens that this laptop suits my needs right now.

outtolunchagain Fri 01-Aug-14 08:23:36

We bought my ds1 a MacBook for university , best thing we ever did. he is non techy and just needs it to work, definitely wouldn't be bothered updating virus software and de fragging etc.He has had it two years and it has never gone wrong .

Don't forget that Apple do generous student discounts.There is the general education discount but once she has a student number there are even more generous discounts including the 3 year warenty free and vouchers for apps (£75 I think).Have a look on the Apple website .

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 01-Aug-14 08:33:23

It's not actually that expensive unless you are comparing it to low end notebooks. I did a search on Dell when I got my new laptop from work and it's over £1k. DH just got a new one from work (also Dell) and it's also around £1k.

There's a large difference in performance between them and the cheaper ones for the normal consumer market. Haven't looked at the exact spec of the macbook range, but I always got the impression it's more high end.

Maryz Fri 01-Aug-14 10:48:13

That's a lovely, simple explanation Pipbin, thank you.

She will be using it for watching Netflix, facebooking and messaging her friends coursework, typing assignments, keeping calendars and diaries, doing some video work with college supplied software (which is, apparently mac as well as pc compatible.

It sounds as though I should let them get on with it.

OneLittle, that's the conclusion I have finally come to. In Ireland computers are expensive, we can't get reconditioned but she can get an educational reduction (sadly not as good as they offer in the UK, but I have to buy it here, really, in case it goes wrong).

When I went to look at other laptops to get one with even a five hour battery life, with a 13" screen and weighing less than a couple of kilos, we were up to 8/900 euro anyway. Add on the cost of Office, and it isn't much cheaper.

U2TheEdge Fri 01-Aug-14 10:53:30

Because they just work!

They don't get viruses, or lag, or crash and everything just works as it should.

They last longer, saving money in the long run.

You couldn't pay me enough to go back to shitty windows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now