Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What does people winking mean?

(23 Posts)
IckleBird Thu 31-Jul-14 22:35:49

Probably the world shortest boring thread but it has always made me wonder and I cant quite figure out what it means when a person or men particularly wink at you..

I remember when I was a child that men did it.

Is it a form of hello or recognition, like nodding?

I dont even think there is amy other human interaction I dont understand. ..

PlantsAndFlowers Thu 31-Jul-14 22:53:17

It's an odd one I think. I always assumed it meant someone fancied someone else. But sometimes fellas do it and I think 'it can't possibly mean that - they're just being friendly - SURELY!'

blueskiesandflowers Thu 31-Jul-14 22:53:58

Hello

PinklePurr Thu 31-Jul-14 22:55:01

I've always taken it to mean "I'm having a laugh/joke here - play along!"

Seriouslyffs Thu 31-Jul-14 22:55:32

Sometimes it's a nervous twitch, sometimes it's signalling 'I'm joking' particularly about a third party. It's dying out I think.

NorwaySpruce Thu 31-Jul-14 22:57:57

It usually means 'I'm joking' (and the inference is that they know you are in on the joke).

Sometimes, from an adult to a child, it is a friendly 'hello'.

TouchPauseEngage Thu 31-Jul-14 23:07:49

Oh god I wink all the time. I do it to say hello, goodbye, this is boring, I'm hungry. Occasionally I can tell someone has misread my wink but it just comes out wink

RunAwayHome Thu 31-Jul-14 23:10:56

for me it was a tic. terribly embarrassing as it was always misread. but I couldn't help it.

zinglebertbembledank Thu 31-Jul-14 23:11:06

oh god, I haven't seen a real life wink for years.

and now it just seems a bit...er...yew tree?

elportodelgato Thu 31-Jul-14 23:19:41

Oh god I wink all the time! Little bit flirty maybe on occasion but mostly just friendly and used for all ages and genders - i'm an equal opps winker me wink

OTOH my friend was on an interview panel recently, a male candidate came in, shook hands with the 2 other panel members (male) but when he got to her he did a handshake AND a big cheeky wink! She was totally thrown off by it - didn't give him the job. To give him the benefit of the doubt it was probably a nervous habit, but still...

think it can mean a number of things, hello, your in on the joke, you understand what I mean, I see you when I'm talking to another person, etc.

think it is dying out.

I mainly wink at young kids and babies as a kind of hello, sometimes get a smile, its a different funny expression to them.

LizzieVereker Thu 31-Jul-14 23:39:50

When I do it, it means "i am having a joke and you are in on it" or "Don't worry, I am trying to make you feel comfortable". It seems to work.

I hope I'm not seen as a bit "Yew Tree"...

Myfanwyprice Thu 31-Jul-14 23:42:52

I'm always winking, I don't even realise I'm doing it, I really hope it comes across as friendly and not yew tree!!

My winks usually mean FFS don't undermine the carefully constructed argument to convince DS that he does really like pasta/fruit/going to bed/trousers etc.

Gunznroses Thu 31-Jul-14 23:48:43

winkwink

IckleBird Thu 31-Jul-14 23:52:00

What is yew tree? Is this another mn term?

I got winked at today when I was at work and just happened to look up and a guy winked.
I figure it would have been a hello wink then.

I see winks all the time and have been known to wink at dd mainly just being funny with her and its funny to watch her try..

TheEnchantedForest Thu 31-Jul-14 23:54:31
Stratter5 Thu 31-Jul-14 23:59:03

Winking is creepy.

Gunznroses Fri 01-Aug-14 00:02:07

I love it when toddlers try to wink back and end up blinking grin

IckleBird Fri 01-Aug-14 00:02:43

Elportodelgato no wonder it threw her it would me too as I suppose you just dont know how to take it especially in a formal situation.

Thanks theenchantedforest definitely not a mn term then.

IckleBird Fri 01-Aug-14 00:05:04

Gunznroses it is funny, my dd can wink now so less amusing until she does it randomly.

BridgettRousselot Fri 01-Aug-14 00:10:24

I have been winked at for a few reasons.

1) flirting
2) You are in on my joke

It is a bit old fashioned now.

Gunznroses Fri 01-Aug-14 00:11:02

Icklebird I love winking at toddlers, especially at the supermarket, they find it quite funny and start gurgling, usually mum looks round and at baby wondering what's so funny. I of course keep a straight face and pretend I'm seriously into my shopping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now