Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is it too early for a Dr Who thread? (And can we have cybermen this time?)

(947 Posts)
Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Thu 31-Jul-14 22:03:46

Just over two weeks to go! PC looks lovely and stern, think this will be the end of the wacky doctors?(as lovely as they were)

It's not too early and tomorrow tickets go on sale for the doctor who symphonic next May. Hooray!

trikken Thu 31-Jul-14 22:23:44

I think he'll be great. Cant wait for it to start.

Am going back to the beginning and watching 'An Unearthly Child' right now.

LisaMed Thu 31-Jul-14 22:26:54

I have already booked the holiday for next May and we are away during the symphonics! I am beside myself.

Count down to the Doctor started more or less Boxing Day in this house.

deakymom Thu 31-Jul-14 22:33:26

hmm ive a twinge of doubt they seem to be announcing a whole host of "guest stars" that screams weak script to me a "we need the money so knock something out" im hoping im wrong

ElephantsNeverForgive Thu 31-Jul-14 22:36:36

I'm sure tech have a tardis from the 50th.
Please no Cybermen, I can't get behind the chair in tbe corner. I don't mind Darleks, but Cybermen give me the creaps.

Not sure if I'm excited, less wacky is good, but PC is a bit old and DD2 keeps moaning.

trikken Thu 31-Jul-14 22:39:21

He's definitely going to be more serious and this series will be darker I reckon.

bialystockandbloom Thu 31-Jul-14 22:43:47

Ds and I are SO excited. Gutted that we'll be away for the first two episodes - just hope nothing goes wrong with setting record on the digibox.

I'm also really looking forward to an older Doctor who might have more gravitas. Will be interesting to see what the dynamic will be like between PC and Clara, given the infantile and ridiculous flirting that went on between her and Matt Smith.

Jury's out on his outfit though, the buttoned-up-to-the-neck look reminds me of an ex-bf (not in a good way!).

Planning to take ds to the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff over the summer - anyone been?

cruikshank Thu 31-Jul-14 22:44:48

I couldn't imagine Capaldi being anything other than dark. Interesting times ahead! I'm glad they're keeping Clara on as well; she's a good companion.

Feels like a long time since the anniversary special though - hope all of this waiting is not going to result in an anti-climax.

I'm excited for it! Really can't wait to see what PC brings to the role

cruikshank Thu 31-Jul-14 22:49:23

bialystockandbloom (great film!) I too would be interested in hearing about the Dr Who Experience. I know one guy (an unrepentant older Whovian) who has been, and apparently you can go into all of the old Tardises! Which sounds fantastic.

bialystockandbloom Thu 31-Jul-14 22:52:02

Omg cruikshank I'm sold already! grin

Kasterborous Thu 31-Jul-14 22:56:15

I'm really looking forwards to seeing what Peter Capaldi does with the role, I think he's going to be brilliant. It's nice to have a Doctor Who is older (no pun intended) for a change. I loved Jon Pertwee as the Doctor.

Cannot wait!!! I reckon PC will be fab, but much darker.
3/4 of my grown up kids are serious Whovians and we are hoping for great things!!!

We have done both the London and Cardiff exhibition... loved them. The darleks were genuinely scary!!! Oh and the Weeping Angels in 3D...!!!!!

bialystockandbloom Thu 31-Jul-14 23:14:26

medusa where is the London exhibition? We live in London, and only thought about going to Cardiff as I had no idea there was a DW exhibition anywhere else! Not having to make a 4-hr journey each way would be a massive bonus.

Is the exhibition suitable for young children? I'm talking about a 7yo with (mild) autism here...

LisaMed Thu 31-Jul-14 23:29:09

I went to the Cardiff Doctor Who Experience and it was awesome. The first bit is like a guided thingy and then you get to wander around some of the most amazing props.

We're going again next year.

LisaMed Thu 31-Jul-14 23:34:25

bialystock ds was 6.9 when he went around. The first part is a sort of guided bit with a chance to press buttons on a Tardis console and a 3D film with some really excellent impressions of eg Weeping Angels reaching out to get you. He may find it a bit overwhelming.

We booked tickets ahead (cheaper) and went on the first of the day's shows. It was full. However when we came out I noticed that the queues were a lot less so it may be better to do a mid morning show so less people around.

Once you get to the exhibits it is a lot less intense. Unfortunately I received stonking bad news just at that moment and it got a bit of a blur but I seem to remember it was good. Ds loved it.

The gift shop is a bit limp, though.

The London one was temporary, sorry... (and was amazing)

My DS2 has autism and learning difficulties (and is obsessed with Dr Who) and he was 15 when we went to Cardiff..and he needed to hold my hand when we got to the weeping angels.. mentally he is about 6 or 7 in most ways and it was fine for him... he LOVED it!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 01-Aug-14 07:21:53

I'm away for the first two too! Dd has made me look if there is wifi and some way of getting I player in Crete. (Doubtful, but Hola may be our friend there) She is more upset about missing that than her GCSE results.

I'm getting excited about it. As much as I loved Matt Smith's Doctor, Peter Capaldi looks like he's going to be brilliant.
I hope they either flesh Clara out a bit this series, or just write her out. She still doesn't seem to have much of a personality yet, due to all that 'impossible girl' stuff that took up most of her first series.

How dark do you think it's going to be? DS1 is desperate to start watching, but I think it might be too much for him. If you have older DCs, how old were they when they started watching, and did they get scared (DS1 is 5).

Anarchy99 Fri 01-Aug-14 08:31:33

I think there are going to be Cybermen in this series.

I cannot wait - I have been looking forward to this since they announced PC! I think he will be awesome and very dark. I liked the wacky Doctors, but it's time for someone with more gravitas, and he's the man for the job!

Anarchy99 Fri 01-Aug-14 08:36:10

It could be a little dark for younger DC but might be worth recording it for them so you can judge if it's too much for them.

PolterGoose Fri 01-Aug-14 09:06:12

bialy we did the Cardiff one a few years ago but I think it's moved and is more fancy now. Ds loved it smile

When does it start? The new series, I mean.

FrankelandFilly Fri 01-Aug-14 09:19:08

New series starts 23rd August, so just over 3 weeks away.

There's a great interview with Peter Capaldi in the latest Empire magazine. Apparently Steven Moffat asked Mark Gatiss to write a wish list of who he would like to play the Doctor, when Matt Smith said he wanted to leave, he put Peter Capaldi at the top and left several blank lines before listing others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now