Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

do you think the terms "love" "my dear" "lovie" and other suchlikes are patronising

(118 Posts)
sweetsmellingrose Thu 31-Jul-14 20:27:43

I have just read an article about how so many people find the use of these forms of address patronising. ....Why is it patronising, whilst I wouldn't address someone in this way, I have never minded other people addressing like this, I am often called "love" "dearie" and "young lady", and have never minded a bit . I am mid fifties, don't know if its an age thing ????

EatShitDerek Thu 31-Jul-14 20:28:01

Not at all

EatShitDerek Thu 31-Jul-14 20:28:37

Not at all. It's very common where I am for people to say love. Never once thought about it

sillymillyb Thu 31-Jul-14 20:29:41

Oh I love it when people call me things like that <needy>

I am 33. It reminds me of my dad I think.

RainbowInACloud Thu 31-Jul-14 20:30:13

No, I see it as affectionate . There are far worse things to get worked up about.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 20:31:35

I like being called pet, petal or love, tbh, because its usually from the sort of people I like.

Don't like ma'am or madam though.

sillymillyb Thu 31-Jul-14 20:31:53

I like "duckie" too (family from derby) Someone called my 2 yo DS it the other day and he was very confused, and said, "I not a duckie, I a pussy cat". Which, er, helped clarify things..... Sorry for the tangent!

DiaDuit Thu 31-Jul-14 20:31:54

no, I actually think it makes a person sound/seem more down to earth/friendly. the people I know personally who use it (including me) use it in an affectionate way. I don't see how it can be viewed as patronising. unless it is said in a condescending passive aggressive way?

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 20:32:11

I don't mind it at all. Reminds me of my Nan who called everyone 'me duck'. smile

DiaDuit Thu 31-Jul-14 20:33:03

"I not a duckie, I a pussy cat". ahhhhh! grin

BobPatandIgglePiggle Thu 31-Jul-14 20:33:15

I like it and hope it doesn't all die out.

MrsEdinburgh Thu 31-Jul-14 20:34:11

No I quite like it but do agree with exactly what Diaduit says.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 20:34:15

Oh that is soooo cute silly grin

Thurlow Thu 31-Jul-14 20:35:42

Depends who it is. If it was someone mansplaining something to me and then added "love" or "sweetheart" on the end, I'd find that patronising.

But 99% of the time it's nice. All the small shopkeepers and the guys on the market say it all the time. This weekend I got a "there you go, beautiful", which made my day grin

boogiewoogie Thu 31-Jul-14 20:37:02

No, unless it is used to intentionally to patronise someone.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 31-Jul-14 20:37:50

Don't mind in the slightest.

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Thu 31-Jul-14 20:37:56

Doesn't bother me.

I also use flower and cock, I don't realise I'm saying it.

I call my dd2 queen.

Common as muck I am !

ObfusKate Thu 31-Jul-14 20:38:23

It depends on the context. I was a little annoyed last time DP and I went to the dentist (we book a double slot and go together) when the dentist called me "sweetheart" throughout my consultation but called DP "sir".

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 20:40:05

At work every one of my long stay/seriously ill patients has a pet name - unless they have specifically stressed otherwise (always asked at admission).

My girls and ladies are usually (age dependant) - m'dear, darling, my sweet, lovely.

The guys are always - my good man, lad, chummy, or if younger, sweetheart.

smile

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Thu 31-Jul-14 20:40:11

Now sweetheart jars my nerves. I always feel like saying " I'm not your fucking sweetheart'

My dad says it but really drags it out ' sweeetheaaaart' - manc style.

KatnissEvermean Thu 31-Jul-14 20:41:02

I'm in my twenties and I don't find it patronising, it's just friendly. 'Cock', 'chick' and 'bab' are common around here too.

I never say these things myself, though.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 20:41:24

Its often a regional thing.
My dh sometimes calls men 'love' too.

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Thu 31-Jul-14 20:44:26

Regarding the 'cock' term - my friends Algerian boyfriend was in the butchers and the server passed him his meat and said 'there you go cock'

It didn't go down well grin

JustAShopGirl Thu 31-Jul-14 20:45:09

I wear a (first) name badge at work and have found I much prefer "love" or "sweetheart" to someone repeating my first name on every sentence. Someone actually using my name when I don't know them feels a bit threatening...

my favourite is the old gentleman who always calls me "my lovely"

SociallyAcceptableCookie Thu 31-Jul-14 20:46:05

I'm not British and I did find it patronising. When I first moved here it felt like people were talking down to me because I was a young woman. I know that it's normal, colloquial, said to everyone, etc and now I don't feel so strongly when it happens but I still don't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now