Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Alternatives to Clarks for children's shoes?

(26 Posts)
ReluctantCamper Thu 31-Jul-14 19:23:55

following a bad experience with the Clarks website, and pretty poor customer service when I tried to sort it out, I'm now on my high horse and have vowed never to darken their doors again. Except........

where do I go to get DS's feet measured?
where can I buy DS's shoes? (he's 3). This would be a positive outcome as Clarks boys shoes are mostly repellent anyway.

Any other brands that are similar price/quality for ladies shoes?

Not the most thrilling thread - any advice gratefully received!

Charlilou490 Thu 31-Jul-14 19:39:10

Start right

halfdrunkcoffee Thu 31-Jul-14 19:40:36

Happy Little Soles online has a good range of barefoot shoes.

ShirazSavedMySanity Thu 31-Jul-14 19:43:20

We have an independent shop in town, they stock start rite which nine times out of ten come out as the best fit for the children

marne2 Thu 31-Jul-14 19:43:37

Find an independent shoe shop, we have a couple near by that stock a range of shoes including start right, camper, converse, kickers and buckle my shoe, they are expensive but there's more choice so it's easier to find a good fitting shoe.

Discobugsacha Thu 31-Jul-14 20:07:11

There are loads of quality NICE kids shoes. Clarks and startrite are generally ugly! Measure yourself and order online. Livie & Luca, dr martens, converse, bonpoint, camper etc and loads of other French brands do really nice shoes.

ReluctantCamper Thu 31-Jul-14 20:31:11

Thanks for the replies. Any pointers on how to measure at home?

CeliaBowen Thu 31-Jul-14 20:36:41

You can buy a foot measure on ebay.

ReluctantCamper Thu 31-Jul-14 20:39:10

ah, good tip, thanks! Wouldn't have occurred to me. Internet shopping here I come <rubs hands>

persepolis123 Thu 31-Jul-14 20:44:13

Start Rite, amazon, ebay all sell foot measures for around £7. Maybe cheaper on ebay.

Always independent! My favourites that the dc have had so far are pepino by ricosta. Clarks are crap (I say this all the time blush)

ReluctantCamper Thu 31-Jul-14 20:51:41

knew mumsnet would have the answer. Farewell Clarks with your evil monopoly and ugly shoes!

tshirtsuntan Thu 31-Jul-14 20:51:42

Hush puppies, they fit better and last longer than clarks.

glasgowcat Thu 31-Jul-14 20:53:15

I share your Clarks rage! They never have the full range in any shop I visit. Is there a schuh kids near you? They measure their feet and have lots of cool kids shoes!

Happymonkeyboys Thu 31-Jul-14 20:54:52

If you need a half size then an American whole size corresponds e.g. my Ds is now 8 1/2 UK so a 9 in Vans or Converse fits well. I never buy Clarks. My older Ds wears Hush Puppies for school and they are posted with width adjusting insoles for when needed.

StillaChocoholic Thu 31-Jul-14 20:56:31

Glad you asked this. I'm off to find a foot measure now

Independent shoe shops can be great
We buy Ricosta or Geox and they are fab

TheScottishPlay Thu 31-Jul-14 20:59:38

Independent shoe shop. They will probably stock Ricosta, Geox etc.
I also bodyswerve Clarks.

mipmop Thu 31-Jul-14 21:01:06

Ecco has nice shoes for children. The online prices can be different to those in the shops , particularly during the sales. You can sign up to a newsletter to get 10% of online or sign up to a loyalty programme in-store that gives discounts after you've bought a few pairs.

m.shopeu.ecco.com/uk/en/baby-shoes

Camper also sell toddler shoes.

ReluctantCamper Thu 31-Jul-14 21:02:11

have just purchased a foot measurer for £6 on amazaon. a whole new world of non horrible shoes awaits admittedly measurer was from clarks, but it's the last money they'll get from me

CeliaBowen Thu 31-Jul-14 21:03:12

We use Happy Little Soles website, also Kidz Shooz website and Cheeky Little Rascals website, all for barefoot shoes up to (so far!) a size 8 junior. I have also had success on ebay for vivobarefoot shoes brand new for DD1.

mipmop Thu 31-Jul-14 21:03:19

off

Also brantano sell start-rite and pods, and often have 25/30% off promotions if you sign up to their newsletter.

inthename Thu 31-Jul-14 21:14:11

start rite, ricosta, geox, hush puppies all been fantastic for ds (even now hes 12!)

hugoagogo Thu 31-Jul-14 21:33:01

I really wouldn't try to measure and fit shoes for a 3 year old my self.

Independent or russell and bromley are pretty good and stock startrite, geox and so on.

justanotherbiscuit Thu 31-Jul-14 21:34:27

start rite are the best imo. I don't think they're ugly at all as a pp said. I love their traditional T bars .

They may scuff a little but always polish up great and shoe stays well intact. My dd school shoes lasted her Aug-May smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now