Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Did you knock bottles on the head at 12 months? Advice please, baby will only take a bottle

(31 Posts)
Mrsgrumble Thu 31-Jul-14 19:17:31

I have tried the nuby beaker etc. he won't really drink. I want to keep fluids in him but what can I do? Also need to wean him off bottles.

McBear Thu 31-Jul-14 19:23:34

Just try the Tesco cheap beakers. DD hAs them and accepts them. She's 2.75 and still has a bottle. So does her 2.75 mate and her 2.5 cousin. They have them all the time. DD has them at bedtime and when I want her to stop throwing almighty tantrums with that stupid whiny voice and shut the duck up quieten down. I'm a terrible parent

ilovemonstersInc Thu 31-Jul-14 19:25:41

My ds has just turned 1 and has bottle morning and evening before bed
he has his juice/water in his bottle too for day time as he just keeps spilling or spitting beakers fluids.

He drinks and thats what I want.

Mrsgrumble Thu 31-Jul-14 19:25:43

Thnk you..Do you mean a cup type thing ? He shakes his head when I offer him water or even water that I have flavoured with a bit of fruit.

Mrsgrumble Thu 31-Jul-14 19:28:45

Baby is ten months

lucysmam Thu 31-Jul-14 19:32:28

Just let him keep the bottle. He'll eventually try a cup of some sort.

Maybe leave one lying about somewhere with some water in, he might just investigate on his own if you're not watching wink ?

My youngest is 4.7 & while she doesn't have a bottle any more, getting rid of sippy cups is proving to be a nightmare. She's perfectly able to use a normal cup but prefers a sippy cup beaker thing with a chewed up lid hmm

McBear Thu 31-Jul-14 19:34:51

I mean this... www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Baby_Feeding/Tesco_Everyday_Value_First_Sipper_Cup_6mth.html

She's had it since about ten months. She now has the nuby one like this... www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=Nuby I think. She's never liked it tho. Tesco is simple and easy but I did get told off by HV.

JsOtherHalf Thu 31-Jul-14 19:35:43

One very experienced HV i spoke to said that babies tend to move away from bottles themselves around 18 months.

Have you tried a doidy cup?

Eebahgum Thu 31-Jul-14 19:39:13

Ds is 22 months and still has a bottle at bedtime & first thing in the morning. If he's poorly he has them through the day too. I invested in many different types of cups for him and kept offering them at mealtimes. Gradually he became more open to the idea and I phased out daytime bottles.

LST Thu 31-Jul-14 19:39:43

My Ds is 3 in November. He still sleeps with a dummy and has a bottle of milk in the morning and one before bed. I will carry on until he doesn't want to anymore.

Purpleflamingos Thu 31-Jul-14 19:39:49

We knocked bottles on the head completely at 24 months, generally around the time they had a cold or severe illness as milk isn't good for colds/ flu .

Other then that , they gradually stopped having bottles of their own choice. Although, we did get a cute melamine tea set and they spent lots of time pouring themselves and me cups of tea and having fun drinking it (keep towels close by if you do this).

Purpleflamingos Thu 31-Jul-14 19:40:46

Oh, when I say cups of tea.... We filled the teapot with water.

Neither my children or I drink tea.

FernieB Thu 31-Jul-14 19:44:31

Mine stopped having bottles at about 11 months old. I had a cold water sterilising system and was allergic to the solution so I lasted as long as I could and then just threw the whole lot out. They then had no choice but to use sippy cups and did so quite happily as they couldn't see any bottles around.

There are really 2 options. Either be relaxed about it and let him use bottles or cups as he likes which means it could go on a while. Or be firm and give no other option than a cup. Both are equally valid - just depends how much the bottle use annoys you.

Boots do a set of cups that "grows"

So you start with a standard boots bottle and then can get a whole variety of styles of cups and handles that fit the teat/bottle, which might help with the idea of drinking from a cup without actually drinking from acup iyswim?

We used a tommee tippee thing that had a similar idea but haven't seen since! Dd was about 15 months before shed accept any type of cup and would only have ones with straws in.

And still has bottles for milk at 2.5

stripedtortoise Thu 31-Jul-14 20:07:48

DC wouldn't take a cup for ages. Probably not the 'mumsnet' way but to initially entice him with fluids from a cup I have juice. Diluted heavily but enough for him to like the taste enough. After about 3 weeks it gave him the hang of the cup and that was that, switched to water and he drinks fine now smile

TheDayOfMyDoctor Thu 31-Jul-14 20:07:50

We stopped bottles at 12 months. DS wasn't great at using cups until then, but as soon as the bottles were gone he started drinking out of a cup fine.

ALittleFaith Thu 31-Jul-14 20:10:59

I stopped bottles at 1 with DD when she moved on to cow's milk. It seemed a natural transition. SIL still had a bottle at 3 and I wanted to avoid that! She wasn't happy to take milk from her water beaker but she did from this sipper. It's fast flowing and as soon as she had that I stopped the bottle.

Snatchoo Thu 31-Jul-14 20:22:50

DTS had bottles until about 18 months. Plus those Nuby cups as well - they chewed through them so I got rid. Also HV said harder spouts are better for strengthening the jaw.

SquattingNeville Thu 31-Jul-14 20:28:17

He's 10 months so his main source of food/fluid should still be his milk. Keep offering the beaker with water with meals, he'll get the hang of it eventually. DS was 13 months before he started drinking anything apart from milk in any real quantities. He's now 18 months and takes all his milk from a sippy beaker and his water from a Tommee Tippee non-spill cup.

thestamp Thu 31-Jul-14 20:55:11

start giving him an open cup in the bath to play with. he will start trying to drink from it. that's how i taught 2 DSs. saves the mess too.

they start wanting to copy mummy at 18mo or so. that's when mine started investigating my cups of tea etc. then you can't keep them away from the cup.

as long as you're not giving him bottles of squash 24/7, a bottle won't harm him even if you keep it up for a year or so longer.

deakymom Thu 31-Jul-14 22:18:18

i managed it at 6 months with my first (i was clueless and was told to switch at 6 months so i just did it) 12 months with my second and nearly 18 months with my third! we all had to drink out of the sippy to get him interested! grin

We offered water in Tommee Tippee sippy cups from 6 months. They had morning and bedtime milk in bottles until 16 months and weren't remotely phased when I stopped the bottles.

NannyPlumIsMyIdol Thu 31-Jul-14 22:29:27

DD2 still has a bottle of milk most nights, she's 3. DD1 was 4 when she stopped, DS was 2. They're all different.

Ds is 6 and is still allowed his dummy when he's ill (long term health problems). I care not.

littledrummergirl Thu 31-Jul-14 22:42:09

I never used bottles but this is what my dmum did when we were babies.

Give them a choice of bottle or beaker/cup. If they choose the bottle then they use it by themselves. If they choose the beaker then sit with them and have cuddles and chat, stories etc.

This worked for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now