Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best eurocamps in northern France, or should I stay clear?

(38 Posts)
cluelessinstyle Thu 31-Jul-14 19:15:03

I really want to take my 2 DDs (will be 9 and 7) to France next year and am looking at Eurocamp as we normally Haven in this country and love it.

However I'm finding differing reviews on them and can't decipher whether they are any good or not and whether we should just cottage it.

We'd either travel from Plymouth, Portsmouth or the Tunnel, so am open to the whole of the top of France, realistically more the north east.

Thanks for any advice.

Salmotrutta Thu 31-Jul-14 19:17:57

Many years ago we went to a Eurocamp site at Trinite Sur Mer in Brittany which was right by the beach.

It was really nice and the locals were friendly. Great food markets around and lovely places to visit.
It's a long time ago but we were pleased with the campsite.

mygrandchildrenrock Thu 31-Jul-14 19:18:15

Eurocamp is great, we've done France, Spain and The Netherlands.
You know exactly what you're getting whether a tent or mobile home, clean, well equipped, plenty to do. There are always loads for the children to do and they will have made friends before the first day is out.

Picklepest Thu 31-Jul-14 19:19:29

We do Normandy via them. At castle des Ormes by st malo twice this year. Really good. I like eurocamp.

Berny rivière known as me Croix de Vieux point is utterly wonderful grin

SoImpatient80 Thu 31-Jul-14 20:11:35

I second la Croix de Vieux Pont. We've been twice, 2nd time was May this year and they've added a Laserquest and a bowling alley since we last went. You can also book on coach trips from the campsite to either Eurodisney or Paris.

The campsite is lovely with big lakes and a 'beach.' PGL are also stationed there so you and the kids can sign up to do zip-wire, rock-climbing or archery.

We'll definitely be going back!

SoImpatient80 Thu 31-Jul-14 20:15:36

Sorry meant to say my girls were 10 and 7 the first time we went and 12 and 9 this year and both absolutely love it there

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 31-Jul-14 20:17:58

Depends what you like OP?

Big site with loads to do sounds great but didn't work for us (kids too young for kids camp and too much of a trek everywhere - didn't feel I could let them roam).

Small site which had 2 pools but not with slides and rivers etc - great - kids went off and I was happy, short walks and v near lovely town...

Small one was Domaine de Drancourt and is near St Valery sur Somme - which I really rated as a smallish seaside town with seafront, ancient castle, some nice food, and a bonus steam train from centre of town... Also 1.5 hours from Calais - win!

What do you and kids value though?

Branleuse Thu 31-Jul-14 20:22:00

youre close for the brittany ones. Such a love!y area. We went to l'atlantique last year and loved it.
I love eurocamp

cluelessinstyle Thu 31-Jul-14 20:26:26

Thanks everyone - looks like I'll be looking into it further rather than a cottage. Thankyou!!!!!!

firstchoice Thu 31-Jul-14 20:30:14

what sort of budget is it, pls?

SirChenjin Thu 31-Jul-14 20:32:23

I third La Croix de Vieux Pont - really good site.

TheDetective Thu 31-Jul-14 20:56:06

I've been looking at the camp you have been recommending. But for June next year. What kind of weather would we be expecting?? smile

sleepdodger Thu 31-Jul-14 21:03:35

Went to saint Valerie, about 1.5hr from channel tunnel
Was good and town v pretty

sleepdodger Thu 31-Jul-14 21:04:11

Same one as above- domain du dracort

teaandthorazine Thu 31-Jul-14 21:05:34

We've just come back from a week in the Vendee, at Les Ecureuils in St Hilare de Riez. Maybe a wee bit further south than you wanted but a pretty easy 7-hour max drive from the tunnel.

Really lovely, small, friendly site with a fab pool and a gorgeous beach literally across the road. Super-safe for kids to go off and explore on their own. The immediate surrounding area is nothing to write home about tbh (though there is a handy supermarket) but the nearby towns (5-10 min drive away) are really nice. Kids playground, cafe, pizza takeout, surprisingly good little restaurant on site (roast duck/mussels etc)

I was impressed. We had a basic tent but it was well equipped and clean. No problems at all. Ds is eleven so perhaps too old for it next year but for dcs your age, I think it would be absolutely fab.

Jenijena Thu 31-Jul-14 21:10:33

I stayed at l'atlantique last year and this year at la grande Metairie. Slightly preferred this year, though it is a noisy lots going on site. Nowhere was more than 5 minutes walk though... Both sites around 2 hours drive from st malo, four hours from Caen... La trinite is lovely and there are two sites there.

As well as eurocamp, canvas, a Thomson company and vacancies soleil might be worth looking at.

Bootoyou2 Thu 31-Jul-14 21:11:32

Sorry to gatecrash but has anyone done it with a 3.5 yr old and a baby? Wondering if we would be better off getting a villa but have lovely childhood memories of eurocamp sites around Brittany. Is it better when kids are older?

We use Siblu in the Loire Valley. About 6 hours from Calais but the weather tends to be better than the coast further up. To be honest it's a great age to do a camp- lots to do, ready made friends, kids' club..... DS can't wait to get there.

Nyancat Thu 31-Jul-14 21:28:33

boot, we did it with 2.5 yr old this year and she had a ball, she made loads of friends and they all tore about at night outside the mobiles while we all had a few drinks (apart from me as pg with no 2) planning to go again next yr, they'll be 3.5 and 6 months by then.

sleepdodger Thu 31-Jul-14 21:30:31

We did mobile home and then tent
I loved mh
Dh and DC loved tent!

MissWimpyDimple Thu 31-Jul-14 21:32:32

We are off to la croix de vieux pont in about 3 weeks and now I'm really excited after reading this ��

JsOtherHalf Thu 31-Jul-14 21:35:34

We went to La Crois Du Vieux Point via Leisure Direction. From memory it was cheaper than booking via the main camping agents.

www.leisuredirection.co.uk/camping/france/disney/croix-du-vieux-pont.htm

ENormaSnob Thu 31-Jul-14 22:05:28

Im off to la croix du vieux pont 3 weeks yesterday.

minibmw2010 Thu 31-Jul-14 22:08:39

We did Croix de VieuxPoint this year and it was brilliant. Very easy on ferry from Portsmouth too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now