Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Persistent cold caller... time to break out the recorder?

(35 Posts)
ItMustBeALime Thu 31-Jul-14 18:12:42

I missed a call on my mobile yesterday morning from an 020 number, so I used the internet it to see who it was. All-knowing Mr Google said cold caller selling boilers, and I'd already told a company of that genre I wasn't interested 2 days ago, so when the same number called again later I ignored it… it then called again, and again, and again…. 5 calls in one day...

Fast forward 24 hours, and I’ve had another 5 calls from the same number, and now another call from a slightly different 020 number. Unfortunately my phone is not advanced enough to block numbers, and quite frankly its driving me batty although given pre-existing sleep deprivation from small baby that wouldn't take much anyway

What should I do? With my pre-existing baby-induced craziness, options I'm considering include:
- answering and playing my toddlers recorder at them (and my recorder playing is special)
- answering and responding to whatever they say with a random word (am quite fond of 'gallops', or possibly 'SuperTed')
- answering and just seeing how long I can maintain an utterly factious conversation with them before they hang up.

I'm a bit torn because I know its just some poor souls job to keep calling, but I am starting to feel very harassed, and it is disturbing my baby how the hell do they know the exact point she's just latched effectively and triggered a Trafalgar Square fountain rivaling let-down to call so I really want them to leave me alone, and the polite message and the ignoring message clearly aren't working.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 31-Jul-14 18:21:20

Do the recorder thing.

You'll be told it's cruel but phoning you 10+ times is pretty cruel too.

It's fair game.

Nomama Thu 31-Jul-14 18:23:11

I once cried down the phone and begged a cold caller to leave me alone, could they not see they were killing me? Draining my life blood, draining me, draining me - lots of sobbing and very melodramatic, and I almost died laughing when DH walked in on me, he was supposed to be in Scotland, I thought I had the house to myself! OK, I was bored.

Never got another call from that one. TPS eventually got rid of the majority of the others, from mobile and landline.

bridgetsmum Thu 31-Jul-14 18:30:37

I love the idea of using random words. I'm gonna try that next time saying "wibble mountain" gringringrin

Panzee Thu 31-Jul-14 18:33:41

I've just had one and decided to let my 17 month old answer it. Was most disappointed to discover it was a recording. sad

ItMustBeALime Thu 31-Jul-14 18:39:38

Nomama I was almost as crap at drama as I was at music so I guess I need the practice, so maybe I should give that a try!

bridgetsmum wibble mountain is a sound choice.

panzee how disappointing! My toddler wouldn't be very useful in this context however as the phone renders him mute.

BridgettRousselot Thu 31-Jul-14 18:40:09

I am polite in the first instance after that they are cut dead.

Today when out, one asked me to sign up to Virgin, I said no thanks, then again asked me, so he got "I said no once already" in a stern voice, he then left me alone.

I had to explain to my dc why I am like that I told them these sales people go on courses and it is psychological warfare with them, they want to make you be their friend so you will feel bad telling them to get lost as they try to rob you blind.

CrimsonPermanentAssurance Thu 31-Jul-14 18:43:26

Have you TPS'd? They sound like they're Uk Based so TPS worth a try.

wantacatplease Thu 31-Jul-14 18:44:05

I am a fan of the "hello?" "hello?" "hellooo?" as they're trying to get out their schpiel but you have to wait til they're nearly done introducing themselves for maximum annoyance.

ItMustBeALime Thu 31-Jul-14 18:50:41

BridgettRousselot psychological warfare seems an apt description - I do feel a little 'under siege'!

crimsonpermanentassurance never heard of TPS before (as a noun or verb wink ) but have now registered - thank you

wantacatplease ooo that could turn this harassment into a game too... how many times can you get the spiel repeated?!

wantacatplease Thu 31-Jul-14 18:51:47

I am a fan of the "hello?" "hello?" "hellooo?" as they're trying to get out their schpiel but you have to wait til they're nearly done introducing themselves for maximum annoyance.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 31-Jul-14 18:56:46

I did a trial for one of these, accident claims. TPS is generally useless as most of them have your details from you filling out surveys/not ticking the pass out information box.

We did NOT have the option to remove you from our list. All we had was your info pop up on the screen.

I didn't stay long as it is truly soul destroying

ItMustBeALime Thu 31-Jul-14 19:00:30

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes I can imagine it being a horrible job, hope you are doing something happier now

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 31-Jul-14 19:12:19

ItMustBeALime it really was. I'm currently looking for work. I couldn't stay there

Tabby1963 Thu 31-Jul-14 19:17:09

ItMustBeALime I have a mobile but people who know me know to always text me first, not ring (unless it's an emergency). Therefore I very rarely get phone calls on my mobile.

Earlier in the year myself and DH set up new company finance with a bank and I gave them my mobile (can't remember why I agreed to do this because I never give it out usually, but HD doesn't use a mobile). Anyway, since then I too have regularly received cold calls on my mobile, 020 mostly but not always, and have been asked about financial services, investing in wine, PPI etc. Grrrr. Gives me the rage.

If I answer the phone (because I haven't checked that I know the number first) I always ask where they got my number and to take me off their list. However, they talk over me to get out their spiel. It's fucking annoying.

Once, some years ago now when I was bored and fed up, I got a call about buying a timeshare/won a cruise/wonderful investment etc. I played along for a bit but eventually said that I could not make decisions about spending money like this without consulting my husband grin, because if I did, I would be jeopardising my marriage. I then asked if the caller was married and other personal questions about their marriage. Sigh, it was a bit of fun (kids were still quite young at the time, I needed an outlet).

I don't swear at them, because it's not their fault. Poor sods have to earn money somehow, but it is frustrating.

OP, perhaps get into the habit of looking at the number before answering it, if you don't recognise it, leave it or cancel it.

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Thu 31-Jul-14 19:22:46

I did the random words thing on my persistent cold caller yesterday. He kept asking about my recent car accident ( I haven't had one, I don't have a car) - my answers included "I put it in the sleeping bag" and "purple - it's always purple on Tuesdays". He gave up after a while.

starfishmummy Thu 31-Jul-14 19:27:03

Ds is great at answering them. He gets a fit of the giggles and sits there asking "is this a scam?"

They usually hang up!

NickNackNooToYou Thu 31-Jul-14 19:58:50

I'm also a fan of the "hello" "hello" "hello" "hellllllloooooeeee"

Or a tip I read on here is to ask for the address of their head office. As yet, no-ones ever told me as they always hang up sad wink

AbbieHoffmansAfro Thu 31-Jul-14 22:33:24

I had an aggressive cold caller start a row with me because I didn't want him to get me a mega bucks pay-out for missold PPI. I told him I was a police officer (I'm not) and he rang off.

blueskiesandflowers Thu 31-Jul-14 22:59:20

I would pick up and say stop calling

BumpNGrind Thu 31-Jul-14 23:04:43

My favourite is to ask them to hold on a sec, the potatoes are boiling over and then just leave the phone. It's become a game of who lasts the longest. Winner so far lasted 5 minutes.

Crikeyblimey Thu 31-Jul-14 23:05:34

Dh does an amusing line in 'can you spell that for me?' To EVERY word they say!

I, on the other hand use the no nonesense 'I'm not interested, take my details off your database'. If they call you back after you've said that, they are in breach of the data protection act and the threat of that usually stops them ringing backZ

3littlefrogs Thu 31-Jul-14 23:09:02

I always ask them to wait while I get a piece of paper and a pencil.
Then I ask for their name and their position in the company.
I ask them to spell everything.

Usually they hang up.

LeapingOverTheWall Thu 31-Jul-14 23:18:47

I had a company ring me back to tell me off for hanging up on them the first time they called. I agreed with him I'd been rude, and warned him I was about to be rude again, as I hung up the phone grin

I also once had an answer phone message left by a cold caller training a junior, he obviously didn't realise he'd actually dialed the number, so I had chapter and verse as to how to keep me on the line, how to answer my (supposed) difficult questions, the whole lot. Was very amusing!

Fluffyears Fri 01-Aug-14 00:13:54

My mum always gets into arguments with these people. I don't even entertain them I just leave phone down and walk away then after a while hang it up. Why waste my time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now