Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you/would you take your children to a pride parade even if they have heterosexual parents?

(111 Posts)
ikeaismylocal Thu 31-Jul-14 14:15:33

this saturday is the pride parade in the city we live in, we went last year as dp's cousin was dancing in the parade and we wanted to see her but we all really enjoyed the whole parade.

I was thinking of going again this year but is it ok to go to a pride parade when me and dp are a heterosexual couple? I want ds to grow up accepting and supporting people regardless of their sexuality and I want him to know that whatever his sexuality may be it is normal and ok. I'd also like to show support to the lgbt communities.

Would it be odd/inapropriate to go?

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 14:16:55

Of course its fine!

littlewoollypervert Thu 31-Jul-14 14:17:13

Not at all! DD goes every year (I'm straight, so is she). I suppose if hetero couple don't go, it makes it a bit of a lgbt only event - so you are really helping show support from all areas of the community?

Purpleflamingos Thu 31-Jul-14 14:22:47

I got some abuse from a lesbian when I was buying ds, then 2 an ice cream. I had six month old dd in a pushchair and was completely unaware of the event until we got to the place (they were passing through on a march). Someone one stepped in and spoke up but I was so shocked I couldn't speak. I had children with me too.

It gave me the opinion the the parade here is not a family friendly event.

TobyLerone Thu 31-Jul-14 14:23:46

Abuse for what?

MmeLindor Thu 31-Jul-14 14:24:21

We watched the one in Munich a few years ago with the kids. It was fun.

ABitGay Thu 31-Jul-14 14:26:16

Purple .... You were abused for buying an ice cream?

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Thu 31-Jul-14 14:29:32

Of course you can go, I've taken DD1 for years! DD2 might be old enough this year - it is a lot of standing about.

When DD1 was about four, she reduced a transsexual man to tears by telling him 'you're a very pretty lady , and I like your dress' smile
I think he was expecting her to be rude when she called him over to put her pennies in his collection bucket. She was only little, how would she have known to offend him? hmm

If it's Brighton, it's perfectly normal and acceptable for people of all genders and ages to attend - I might go myself, to take photos and enjoy the day.

DownByTheRiverside Thu 31-Jul-14 14:38:02

All the time, Brighton is our nearest city. If you believe in equality what's the problem?

'I think he was expecting her to be rude when she called him over to put her pennies in his collection bucket. She was only little, how would she have known to offend him?'

Because little ones learn how to parrot hatespeak before they can think for themselves or question it. He'd probably experienced it before.

Smo2 Thu 31-Jul-14 14:38:44

I took my kids last year...it didn't dawn on me it was odd in any way!

PeppermintInfusion Thu 31-Jul-14 14:40:40

Lots of straight people go to the pride in my city (incidentally also this weekend)

PeppermintInfusion Thu 31-Jul-14 14:41:38

Sorry forgot to add "and kids" in my last post (trying to multitask and failing)

Patrickstarisabadbellend Thu 31-Jul-14 14:42:10

No because I went last year without my children and it got pretty rowdy. It's good fun though.

It isn't odd, it's fun smile

nicename Thu 31-Jul-14 14:46:11

'you're a very pretty lady, and I like your dress' I love that!

Sadly DS has always had a problem with people in costume when he was little:

You're not Charles Dickens!
You're not the fat controller!
You're not a banana!
You're not the Hunny Monster!
You're not batman!

MrsBungle Thu 31-Jul-14 14:47:14

We go most years to our city's pride with the kids. Lots of stalls and kid things there. It's great.

17leftfeet Thu 31-Jul-14 14:50:04

Transsexual man in a dress -correct pronoun would be she

DogCalledRudis Thu 31-Jul-14 14:52:53

I don't think a pride parade is a suitable place for young children.

ikeaismylocal Thu 31-Jul-14 14:54:44

Oh good! We will go and enjoy it smile

I think I was wondering if it would be seen as us taking a space of someone else (it gets pretty busy) or that we were celebrating something we couldn't understand.

There were lots of children at the pride parade last year all and it was a really friendly atmosphear.

All the city's flags are flying along side rainbow flags this week and all the busses have rainbow flags attatched to them, it's a huge thing here, it is lovely to see.

aziraphale Thu 31-Jul-14 14:55:23

I probably wouldnt take ds as he is very little at the moment but he might enjoy it when he's bigger. Incidentally, I'm going to Pride on Saturday as part of a heterosexual date, and I can't wait!

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 31-Jul-14 14:58:16

I do. This year we have been asked to take part in the parade, despite not being gay. Both me and DS live the Pride parade.grin

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 31-Jul-14 14:58:53

I mean Love, not live.blush

Trazzletoes Thu 31-Jul-14 15:00:40

Why not Dog ? Our city also has Pride this weekend and I'm thinking about taking the DCs (4 and 2).

ikeaismylocal Thu 31-Jul-14 15:00:41

My ds is only a toddler, but he is very good at sitting watching things, he sat through a 1.5 hour play yesterday, I think he will love it but if he gets grumpy we will just go and play in a park or go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now