Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can I recommend an "all the family" audio book for anyone doing long journeys?

(33 Posts)
Hakluyt Thu 31-Jul-14 13:44:42

We (2 adults, and 18, 13, 8 and 6) are all really enjoying Mitch Benn's Terra. Lovely story, funny, sad and multi levelled enough for all of us.

Has anyone else got a recommendation?

Cockadoodledooo Thu 31-Jul-14 21:32:42

We normally go for Terry Pratchett books. Will try yours now though, love Mitch Benn!

Cockadoodledooo Thu 31-Jul-14 21:32:50

We normally go for Terry Pratchett books. Will try yours now though, love Mitch Benn!

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 21:33:27

The Hobbit or LOTR.

PigeonPie Thu 31-Jul-14 21:42:24

DH had already listened to Chris Hadfield's autobiog (he's a Canadian astronaut) and thought that our DSs (7 and 5 at the time) would enjoy it. It was really great - I think we all enjoyed it.

The other thing we have really enjoyed recently is The Jungle Book which was read by Tony Robinson.

Will look at the Mitch Benn one now though!

JellyBabiesSaveLives Thu 31-Jul-14 21:43:08

Harry Potter and How to train your dragon. Both beautifully read

Not a book but mine have all loved Bleak Expectations. At 6 some of the humour (luckily?) goes over their heads but it's still funny.

JellyMould Thu 31-Jul-14 21:46:24

When I was a kid we all loved hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

UnMasterChef Thu 31-Jul-14 21:47:42

Might be a bit young, but we listened to the Gigglers by Roddy Doyle, I was a bit worried given I'd read his adult books, but they were hilarious. I think in the end DH and I were laughing more than DD

Shallishanti Thu 31-Jul-14 21:47:44

we used to have tapes of Michael Rosen's poetry- so, so funny and we still quote from them years later

otoh, Harry Potter, Stephen Fry narrating, used to drive me MAD after an hour or so

SweetPeaPods Thu 31-Jul-14 21:48:30

Harry Potter!
Moby Dick?

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 21:48:47

Narnia.

Seriouslyffs Thu 31-Jul-14 21:49:23

I read the curious case of the dog in the night (swallowing the swear words) to dcs 8-12 and DH. We hadn't packed any audiobooks, pre podcast/ download days and DH challenged me to!

OscarWinningActress Thu 31-Jul-14 21:50:11

War Horse or any Michael Morpurgo. Rudyard Kipling. James Herriot. Any of David Walliams' books.

What about podcasts? We recently listened to a bunch of really cool science and psychology ones on a road trip. (DH and I and DC 12, 9 and 7). There was one about parasites, another about space and another one about social experiments that we all enjoyed.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 31-Jul-14 21:51:12

Watership down
Farthing Wood
5 children and it

Shockers Thu 31-Jul-14 21:52:17

Good thread. I'm looking for good audio books for a ten yr old with ASD, so I shall be looking into these recommendations further.

flipwit Thu 31-Jul-14 21:52:35

David Walliams great for the 8 and 6 y o but DH and I also enjoyed them

flipwit Thu 31-Jul-14 21:53:24

Also Mr Gum, again, great for the kids but surreal and daft enough to be fun for the adults

Stickerrocks Thu 31-Jul-14 21:57:15

I agree with anything by David Walliams. I've spent many a trip to Cornwall listening to Mr Stink.

KillmeNow Thu 31-Jul-14 22:01:15

Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy got us through a very long journey with 3 preteens.

We also enjoyed Famous five and secret seven stories when they were younger.

Terry Pratchett is always a hit but you need to concetrate or you can get lost in the descriptions.

Oh ,and yes - podcasts are fab. I have lots and catch up on all sorts of interesting things when driving or doing pottering type jobs around the house. I downloaded lots from radio 4.I know there will be interesting things in terms I can understand .

EugenesAxe Thu 31-Jul-14 22:08:54

For anyone with very little children, I really enjoy Alan Bennett reading Winnie the Pooh ("Hoo-OOo! Do you think it's.... a woozle?") and Charlie and Lola's Completely Best Story Collection. Although the latter is hard as I now feel the need to entirely impersonate every voice when I am reading the book.

We love How To Train Your Dragon too, it's funny and frankly I'd be happy listening to David Tennant reading the dictionary smile.

The Roald Dahl box set is also good (perhaps a bit young for your gang OP) and also popular in our car (DC's 9,6,4) is Fungus The Bogeyman.

Ledkr Thu 31-Jul-14 22:27:33

I'm envious of you having slightly older chikdren. We went from Cherbourg to the Vendee this week on noddy and blasted Justin fletcher!!

friendface Thu 31-Jul-14 22:31:18

We used to listen to the Just William audio books when the DC were younger - very much enjoyed by the whole family!

Cherrypi Thu 31-Jul-14 22:33:47

Cabin pressure is great. We love that in the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now