Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have we had an entitled parents thread?

(41 Posts)
TessTackle Thu 31-Jul-14 13:24:19

If we have, sorry. If not; I'm starting it!

At local park today, which has a huge paddling pool. It's always really busy but a generally lovely atmosphere.

Set up our little picnic blanket and laid out DD's towel ready for her to dry off and as I laid it down, mum next to me has just finished slathering DS with sunscreen and says "oh here we go we'll just wipe our hands on the nice lady's towel!"

I was [shocked] and said "errrr no! Wash them and wipe them on yours!!" And pulled it away.
She was bloody incandescent the cheeky bitch, muttering to her son that that wasn't nice angry

Only a month and a bit left of the holidays, and dealing with people like her oh well!

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 31-Jul-14 13:26:39

In the old days wasn't that just called "rude"?

squoosh Thu 31-Jul-14 13:28:27

Good for you for telling her to get lost.

angelos02 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:28:32

Fucking hell. Cheeky mare. Who thinks it is OK to get their own kid's sunscreen on a stranger's clean towel. Daft bint.

RhubarbRhubarbRhubarb Thu 31-Jul-14 13:31:42

She was going to wipe the excess suncream on your towel?! shock
Apart from the fact that's bloody presumptuous/rude, some brands stain fabric.

WipsGlitter Thu 31-Jul-14 13:32:30

Unbelievable!

MummyBeerest Thu 31-Jul-14 13:32:44

O.M.G.!

Wow...

This won't really top it, but at our local library there's a toy train track set, and you need to give your library card to get a train. Parents get VERY protective of their children's trains, and will tell you straight up that you need to get your own.

A little boy had left his train unattended when another boy and his mother came rocking up and the boy took his train. Other boy didn't see, so I just said "Oh, if he wants a train he give his card at the desk."

The mother looked at me incredulously and said "He wants THIS one!"

I said "It belongs to that boy, there..."

She scrunched her nose up and said "Well, finder's keepers!" And went off with it.

I was stunned.

TessTackle Thu 31-Jul-14 13:33:07

Tis only a cheap primarni one but still!! I'm still sitting here with my mouth open grin

TessTackle Thu 31-Jul-14 13:34:16

shock mummy what a cow!

runningonwillpower Thu 31-Jul-14 13:34:49

Unbelievable behaviour!

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 13:49:38

shock

I am wracking my brains to think of one. You get less entitlement by parents as the DC enter their teens, you then get entitled children.

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 31-Jul-14 13:51:12

I am wracking my brains to think of one.

grin

dawndonnaagain Thu 31-Jul-14 13:51:51

I have teens. One mother thinks that because I rarely drink I should do all the late night runs, gigs, pub, etc.
er, fuck off!

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 13:52:00

What have I said? <worries>

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 13:53:59

Ooh I know. Parents that sign up to Junior footy for a year but have no way of getting their DC to training or matches.....

Oh and every parent at Cadbury World 3 years ago letting their DC hog everything to the point we got bored of waiting.

Lally112 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:56:48

You were nicer than I would have been OP, bloody cheek.

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 31-Jul-14 13:56:57

Maybe I just click on too many of them sparkling but I always thought 'entitled' grr hate the word parent threads made up a third of the content of MN. Not unreasonably, a lot of sociopaths about it seems.

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 13:58:43

grin AFC, I see what you mean. I think the other two thirds are cat poo and accessible loos.

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 31-Jul-14 14:01:37

smile Exactly. Well that's the whole of MN neatly categorized, what else needs doing? <looks around>

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 14:03:29

I am a bit disappointed. I have no really breathtaking tales of entitlement, cat poo or accessible loo shenanigans. sad

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 31-Jul-14 14:05:39

I worked with someone a few years back. Despite there being quite a lot of staff we were the only ones with primary school aged children.

She constantly said to me (about anything - courses, overtime, sleeping on shifts), "It's different for us, we have kids."

She'd also say it to the management.

It wasn't different, we both took on the job and had to do the same work as everyone else. I did explain this but it didn't stop her.

I didn't really give a shite but she refused to be entitle alone. It was always 'us' or 'me and Joffrey'. She had to make me look like an unreasonable arse too.

hmm

Was bloody awkward.

ArsenicFaceCream Thu 31-Jul-14 14:06:13

I had a killer anecdote about indoor scooter riding but that's already been done this week sad sad

I might go out and provoke someone. It's sunny there will be crowds of parents out there. I just need suitable props.

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 14:06:39

Guilt by association King. sad

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Jul-14 14:08:03

I will come with you AFC. Park or shopping Centre? We could save some tables in a really busy cafe if you like?

Humansatnav Thu 31-Jul-14 14:08:47

Ooh, I have loads. I man a helpline for apprentice vacancies " I'm ringing on behalf of my son" is the most frequently heard sentence.angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now